Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowing heavy again! College Road, Cork :)

Will any of this snow head down to South Wexford?

Any expert opinions appreciated!! Im so jealous reading the reports!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    It's raining in coastal Wicklow. Horrible, miserable rain.

Air Temperature 1.8°C (dropped 2 degrees from 3.8 at 7am)
    Dewpoint 0.7°C (rose 1.5 degress from -0.1 at 7am)

Update - it's now snowing! Proper big beautiful flakes. Stick baby, stick! How quickly things can change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fineout

Mid Kerry at 50masl.
    Currently 0.5 degrees.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Still coming down in Rathfarnham. If the temps hold this could be pretty decent!

Coming down pretty heavy now! :) 0.3c DP -0.3c.

I smirked the other day in my local Centra when they were selling 'snow survival kits'. That smirk has now been wiped away! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

yet another graupel shower, some wet snow mixed in...radar looks decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

You may be in with a shout tonight when another front from the Atlantic pushes in. This may make more headway than last night's system.

Lalalalalala, can't hear you! What?

Don't get my hopes up, I don't think I could bare another let down. I've given up following this cold spell, at this stage even sleet (or rain) would be a welcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Anyone know what is the story for the rest of the day in Dublin.?
    In fairness cant complain we did great and got a good bit here in Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Anyone know what is the story for the rest of the day in Dublin.?
    In fairness cant complain we did great and got a good bit here in Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

kenmc wrote: »
    If raintoday is correct, Dublin is in for a pasting in the next couple of hours :D

Is the dew point still ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At sea level it's not looking good, but higher up in the suburbs it seems to be just low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Reading -1.1 in back garden in D14 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So areas like lucan, city west etc is still looking ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

still coming down nicely in D24. :) just drove for a few miles .As much as I love the snow I had a few hairy moments :P. BMW's do not like snow. be careful on the roads folks .

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Chucking down here all morning. Drove to foxrock and a lot less there and 1 degree in car. 0 c back here at home. Allowed the kids to stay home from school - very bold!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some nice streamers forming over the irish sea... hope the wind doesn't turn anymore northerly
    Why would you want that?! Do you want to see sleet instead of snow? Also, what's going to happen over today will be mainly organised precipitation from that system in England giving them the snow yesterday. The IOM shadow won't be much of a problem, the direction of the low pressure system and the temperature/dewpoint wherever you are will be the main things to watch for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Any snow in West Waterford? I hear reports of snow in Dungarvan. Looks like the snow will reach to within a few miles of where I am in Co. Waterford. Close but.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

yeah I agree about the Northerly wind comment, if it turns too northerly its game over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nothing at all in by Houston Station. Just a bit of slush.
    Traffic isn't too bad either. Slow but moving.
    Doesn't appear to be widespread chaos in this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

homolumo wrote: »
    Any snow in West Waterford? I hear reports of snow in Dungarvan. Looks like the snow will reach to within a few miles of where I am in Co. Waterford. Close but.....
    406099_582373091791683_1185820103_n.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

WE got snow, yet I'm not excited about it.

it's just slush to me, cant go out and play with the kids as they will be drenched in 20 minutes. No crunch as you walk on it.

I said it before, 2010 has spoiled me.

I can't see much more cold air coming over. We are feeding of British cold pool, but that is not being replenished.

I await some dry snow. I'll wait 10 years if I have too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Why would you want that?! Do you want to see sleet instead of snow? Also, what's going to happen over today will be mainly organised precipitation from that system in England giving them the snow yesterday. The IOM shadow won't be much of a problem, the direction of the low pressure system and the temperature/dewpoint wherever you are will be the main things to watch for.
    Sorry don't get you ... if the wind turns northley where is the precip going to come from??we need the Irish sea to produce streamers ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow gone very light now - looking at radar it might clear here soon.

Wouldn't be overly confident that the next batch over the Irish Sea will arrive as snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Snowing in Kilcullen, Co Kildare. Good amount falling, but not much sticking yet. We had a skiff overnight on roofs and cars.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Serious melt on here. Have temps risen too much at this stage that any more precip will be more sleety than snowy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Stopped here in Rathfarnham.

aurora 527 wrote: »
    406099_582373091791683_1185820103_n.png

Please tell me that that Pink is heading Wexford way. Im after enough snow for a few days off!!!!

Woke up to snow in Dublin 15! Not currently snowing now but what's on the ground doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

patneve2 wrote: »
    yeah I agree about the Northerly wind comment, if it turns too northerly its game over
    For what part of the world are you talking about? For Dublin, it's the only hope for more precipitation. Most of the forecast ppn was bound for the northern half of Ireland if not further north again. But every subsequent model run and the radar observations suggest that LP is taking a more southerly course. Given that the LP centre looks like passing well to the south of the IOM, ensuring the precipitation is dragged as far south as possible is what I'd want to see if I wanted snow.

This is not about convection potential, which is inconsequential compared to the LP system heading our way.

• Advertisement

Just started snowing in Galway city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement