Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

P*ssing rain in Drogheda!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

M2 dew point up to 2.0C now , looks like this next batch of precip will be rain/sleet for most barring high ground.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Interesting thing is that the surface wind is blowing from the WNW, while the upper winds that are steering the clouds are NNE. For all of you who got snow, that surface wind helped you a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

You may be in with a shout tonight when another front from the Atlantic pushes in. This may make more headway than last night's system.

any chance of some snow in Longford or was Fridays flurry it for us cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Snowing in dungarvan and lismore in co. Waterford i hear. Wind still coming from the west is waterford city so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Any chance of snow in east mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Light snow just started in Galway city, having had nothing at all overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

P*ssing rain in Drogheda!

Nothing unusual about that

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

Keith96 wrote: »
    Snow in D12 is crazy! been on and off last hour,very heavy at times.We have a complete covering its hard for me to believe some of you in Dublin dont have snow.Hope you all eventually get some :)

sure is :) just drove home from there :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

davehey79 wrote: »
    any chance of some snow in Longford or was Fridays flurry it for us cherryghost

It will be more than likely a nowcast situation as the front hits the cold air again. It could be a repeat of last night but I'm fairly confident it could move in a bit further tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheTorment wrote: »
    Please tell me that that Pink is heading Wexford way. Im after enough snow for a few days off!!!!

Pink is snow. Other colours are sleet and rain.

For what part of the world are you talking about? For Dublin, it's the only hope for more precipitation. Most of the forecast ppn was bound for the northern half of Ireland if not further north again. But every subsequent model run and the radar observations suggest that LP is taking a more southerly course. Given that the LP centre looks like passing well to the south of the IOM, ensuring the precipitation is dragged as far south as possible is what I'd want to see if I wanted snow.

This is not about convection potential, which is inconsequential compared to the LP system heading our way.

I want convection, not the band (very low chances of snow from the band-if it even reaches Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

rain in swords :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think some of those living along the east coast have to drop all these IOM shadow/M2 buoy/streamer comments as though they apply to every situation pertaining to easterlies in Dublin!!

Could everyone have a look here (http://www.raintoday.co.uk/) and check out the massive system that's increasingly starting to pivot towards NI and the northern half of Leinster? Some of that is bound to affect Louth and Meath and given how the centre of a LP behaves, shower activity may sporadically bubble up nearby. This happened the first couple of days of the 2009/2010 cold spell.

The most crucial thing by far is having cold enough air as the precipitation's gonna happen today sooner or later. So surface winds being northerly with uppers coming from a NNE direction would be ideal for snow along the east coast.

(Just want to point out, the coastal fringes should not expect much more than sleet from these showers or spells today. Places like Navan, Kells, Carrickmacross can expect snowfalls over the next few hours, later on extending into Cavan as well as the rest of the western half of Ulster)

Come on snow. Lets blast South Wexford so we can join in on the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Snowing in North Cork (Glanworth), took this after dropping the (excited!) kids off to school.
    /it's amazing how many people drive with huge amounts of snow on their car, I nearly got run over twice because people can't see what they're doing :o

29E6883F48614CDC8C3636AB8A46717A-0000318644-0003135362-00800L-154FD2AE465342C19635677009750282.jpg

I think some of those living along the east coast have to drop all these IOM shadow/M2 buoy/streamer comments as though they apply to every situation pertaining to easterlies in Dublin!!

Could everyone have a look here (http://www.raintoday.co.uk/) and check out the massive system that's increasingly starting to pivot towards NI and the northern half of Leinster? Some of that is bound to affect Louth and Meath and given how the centre of a LP behaves, shower activity may sporadically bubble up nearby. This happened the first couple of days of the 2009/2010 cold spell.

The most crucial thing by far is having cold enough air as the precipitation's gonna happen today sooner or later. So surface winds being northerly with uppers coming from a NNE direction would be ideal for snow along the east coast.

How far down East do you think it will travel?

In South Wexford here and getting tired from snow dancing

Come on snow. Lets blast South Wexford so we can join in on the fun.

You'll probably have a better chance with the precipitation coming from the Irish sea, seems its making its way down there as we speak. The other front is petering out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

patneve2 wrote: »
    I want convection, not the band (very low chances of snow from the band-if it even reaches Dublin).
    There dose appear to be some convection within that band ...

You'll probably have a better chance with the precipitation coming from the Irish sea, seems its making its way down there as we speak. The other front is petering out.

I better keep up the snow dancing so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

How far down East do you think it will travel?

In South Wexford here and getting tired from snow dancing
    Afraid I'm talking about whether it will hit as far south as Drogheda, or as far south as the Dublin Mountains... In any case it's more likely to fall as sleet for where most people live, until perhaps 20 miles inland.

The surrounding showers nestled in front of the LP (i.e. over Ireland itself) may stray southeastwards over the next couple of hours, but then it remains dry for Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

The streamers will bring rain and sleet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We had another 3-4CM of the white stuff overnight, Bailieborough in Cavan... Nice dry and fluffy :D
    There were still flakes falling when I was leaving for work at 8:20..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Heavyish snow in drogheda now. Still fairy wet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Streamers delivering snow to Delgany....on and off for last two hours....getting heavy again.,....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭chud1234

nothing in slane for hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The memory of 2010 strikes again, not all snow is from convective snow ;). If you look at the radar and carts at the moment, the precip your looking at is from a low pressure system moving out in the Irish sea.

As To_be_confirmed said what you want that low to do is pivot more and track further south. You might see some snow from it then, either way Ulster should see something from it.

Also this is why it is great to have a west only chat thread, as there is no talk of streamers in there :D

V. Heavy graupel shower

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

M2 buoy DP just dropped a degree to +1 in the last hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Wanted to post some snowy pics. Was a happy snow bunny this morning. This is the view from my window this morning (Coolmine, D15)

253.JPG

This is the view from my office window at the moment (Blanchardstown)

257.JPG

Starting to melt now. Current temp is 1 degree. Hopefully more later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement