Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Spindle wrote: »
    Just to bring home the point about what you are seeing is not Streamers, have a look at the SST of the M2 bouy, it is currently at 9.2c for any streamers (sea/lake effect snow) you need a temp difference of around 13c between the 850hPa temps and the SST there are only -4 to -6 uppers around at the moment nothing near what you need for good sea effect snow.

What you are getting now is what associated with the low system. This is not a 2010 type snowfall.

going on your figures you should have a difference of 13.2 - 15.2 difference :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Feckin rain all night in Drogheda it's not fair :( but its snowing now but I think it's to wet to stick. Fieldstown is a 10 min drive north of Drogheda and most if it is 140 to 200 meters ASL and its had snow on the ground since yesterday morning.
    I made enquiries and it wasn't sticking to the roads anyway earlier this morning. Or at least it was slush, I didn't entirely understand what I was told. The snow was almost sticking to the grass from as early as Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

premiercad wrote: »
    so you think streamers (Lake-effect snow) can't happen in a large area of low pressure like this as it gets a convective boost over the Irish Sea?

this is why this forum is F*"ked wink.png i'll leave it to ya...

Not with the uppers that are there at the moment and the SST we have now, there is not enough instability to get good streamers going.

Not saying it can't happen as you can see sea-effect snow in the backend of the low system. Looking at the radar I see no streamers, all the precip is due to the low pressure currently moving over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Getting pretty heavy here now, needs to be even heavier to stick to roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aug23

4 inches of snow here in North Cork. Thaw has started though... Hoping to get more this evening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Piddly graupal in ranelagh now- not heavy- sky is very dark but feels like im on the edge of the shower.

Dan :)

Spindle wrote: »
    Not with the uppers that are there at the moment at the SST we have now, there is not enough instability to get good streamers going.

Not saying it can't happen as you can see sea-effect snow in the backend of the low system. Looking at the radar I see no streamers, all the precip is due to the low pressure currently moving over.
    As pistolpetes rightly mentioned, the temperature difference is okay and you need to remember that rule of thumb is a sliding scale, lower atmospheric pressure encourages the advection of this moisture. This is why I said that sporadic showers will crop up away from the front itself and away from the front near Limerick. Streamers are a very specific and simple thing, entirely dependent on straightforward convection and sufficient temperature differences over a given distance that the 850 hPa air travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

snow coming down good now in citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Handy little real time webcam from Liberty Hall for all the Dubs wanting to watch the weather. It even works on iphones.

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

A proper belter of a shower in D24 now . really heavy huge flakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

20 minutes of snow just fallen in Walkinstown ... now turning to sleet as it peters out.

Fairly wet snow so didn't accumulate too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

been waiting since november for it to snow. snow finally decides to fall where I live, and loads sticking! :D

yet here i am in college. where there's no snow. just rain.

tumblr_m0jwrqs3cG1r82nsi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

going on your figures you should have a difference of 13.2 - 15.2 difference :p

:o Did the maths wrong, but you are still on the boundary for getting any instability going.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very much brightening up now in Dublin City centre, wouldn't be surprised if we saw clear skies today.

Looks like there might be a good chunk of ppn en route though from the north, might land in Dublin around 2ish..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Proper snow in Eastpoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Snowing quite hard at the moment in Baggot Street (12m asl).

Edit - took longer to post than it actually lasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

A proper belter of a shower in D24 now . really heavy huge flakes :D

Yip confirmed slowing slightly now at 1218

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Snowing in Dublin 4 (100m from the coast) not sticking cause of the wet but nice big flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Snowing at East point...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Stopped now in Walkinstown... Now back to budgets for 2016 and 2017 which will be as hard to forecast as sneachta I reckon...

• Advertisement

Clear blue skies in Wexford.

Disappointment is a serious underestimate of how I feel.

Will snow from that system up north find its way down this far? Or am I just wishful in my thinking and clutching at straws

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Just drove through near white out conditions up to the kids school, which is on a bit of a hill here in Rathfarnham.

Lots of kids getting picked up early...

slowed an awful lots since, but no sign of stopping at the mo'

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Light snow in Celbridge at the moment :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

M2 buoy DP at noon is now +0.7

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowing quite heavily again! :)

0.8c DP 0.3c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snowing again now in Ballsbridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

still snowing heavy here in citywest

seamus wrote: »
    Very much brightening up now in Dublin City centre, wouldn't be surprised if we saw clear skies today.

Looks like there might be a good chunk of ppn en route though from the north, might land in Dublin around 2ish..?

That big chunk won't reach Dublin. There may be some scattered showers over the next couple of hours though. Though some of the "showers" will be from the edge of the front and indeed the circulating motion of the centre of the LP will probably drag bits and pieces down until maybe 4pm, when the wind direction will be coming off the land. Remaining dry in Dublin afterwards.

paddy ocon wrote: »
    still snowing heavy here in citywest

I keep thinking, "I'll update them on Citywest" but you got it... you got it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snowing quite heavily again! :)

0.8c DP 0.3c

Need it to last for another hour to make up for the thaw that took place earlier!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement