Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Is the snow, dead and burried now for antoher year?
    certainly not!
    Temporary blip after tomorrow ,back with a vengence into february,in such a way as to make this past few days look mild

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Were is that?
    Five minute drive from Tallaght, good bit higher mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Is the snow, dead and burried now for antoher year?

No way

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If anyone in South Dublin is feeling like they are being left out of the snow and need to see some proper snow in Dublin, the Three Rock Mountain just beside Ballinteer has some serious snow (1 foot reported) and the HellFire Club just off the Firhouse exit on the M50 is under around 6 inches of snow...

What's Kilakee Road like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

All thats left now is a cold wet summer.

Defo not. Were only half way through Winter weather wise in the northern hemisphere. Feb and march can be extremely cold in Scandinavia and Russia and with a proper northeasterly set up that's wher are air will be sourced from. So let's hope that Scandi high sends us into the freezer in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LordSinclair

237455.jpg

Apologies, had to delete last post and trim the image a bit, it was all over the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Just a question for the powers that be. How are you so sure about something significant for Feb? A lot of experts are saying this on here so I just wondered what its based on? Just curious...... Brian.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LordSinclair

spockety wrote: »
    What's Kilakee Road like?

Easily passable I think but with care obviously, more care needed on descent than on assent, just make sure you don't let your car gather any speed at all. I got up & down in a Peugeot 206 today without any hassle whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Just a question for the powers that be. How are you so sure about something significant for Feb? A lot of experts are saying this on here so I just wondered what its based on? Just curious...... Brian.
    Dont know what station it was my wife was listening to last night coming home,but she was saying some weather bloke was on talking about a pending cold snap for Ireland for late Jan into February;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

All the great pictures showing winter wonderlands posted here over the past 5 days were taken on high ground. Those images depict what is in my view a proper cold spell that should exist on ground level locations. Since last week I had this feeling that this cold spell would not deliver anything wonderful. It either rained or sleet and any encounters with snow was very brief with instant thawing. Possiblity the first cold spell ive come across where we had no sunshine, no frost and no clear skies at night. The melting of any settling snow was aided by the fact that the ground was saturated from last week's deluge of rain and the lack of any frost kept the soil temperatures up so the snow on the ground just didnt stand a chance. Here's to a quick death of this cold spell, a few days of warm south-westerly's and sunshine to reset the scene & dry out the land leading to hopefully the next spell will be much more promising:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jazzermurphy

whitebriar wrote: »
    certainly not!
    Temporary blip after tomorrow ,back with a vengence into february,in such a way as to make this past few days look mild

Is this for the whole country or just high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

MT and our other knowledgeable friends on here have discussed end Jan / early Feb being the main time for snow for a few months now. Not an expert but believe it may be related to the SSW

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I believe a lot of MT's long-range forecasts are based on looking at the existing weather conditions and then comparing them to historical weather patterns to see how they usually develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No they are not sure. No one can tell that far ahead, couldnt tell 3 days ahead as things are crazy in the model world.

My gut feeling is the worst is over but like to be wrong, go on weather prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

seamus wrote: »
    I believe a lot of MT's long-range forecasts are based on looking at the existing weather conditions and then comparing them to historical weather patterns to see how they usually develop.
    yup,and in this case the likelyhood that high pressure should build behind the piece of canadian ex polar vortex currently programmed south bound into the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

No they are not sure. No one can tell that far ahead, couldnt tell 3 days ahead as things are crazy in the model world.

My gut feeling is the worst is over but like to be wrong, go on weather prove me wrong.

Not sure anyone can ever be sure - especially when it comes to the weather! But they know about trends and liklihood etc.

Again, not an expert but from what I understand it is common for very cold periods to follow an SSW. They also throw the atmosphere into disarray, and present huge challenges for computer models in predicting what happens next. Others know a lot more and have been calling this for a while now. It seems they have been dead on so far so I dont think (hope) it's over by a lot way. Am sure if you search through some of these threads you'd learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

MT Cranium's forecast which he posts here on Boards said that about two weeks ago ,and is still refering to it . He told us about the cold spell we have now but also said it's not going to be anything major(which seems to be the case ) . Also that the main event will happen last week in Jan and last way into Feb :)

Just to add I by no means have any clue about the weather , just going on what I am reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

EICK 211700Z 2118/2218 VRB03KT 9999 SCT015 SCT025 BECMG 2119/2121 13007KT BKN015 TEMPO 2121/2202 4000 -RASN BKN007 PROB30 TEMPO 2121/2201 2000 -SN BKN003 BECMG 2122/2201 30007KT TEMPO 2202/2210 3000 BR SCT005 PROB40 TEMPO 2202/2209 0500 FG BKN001 BECMG 2216/2218 VRB03KT

Latest TAF for cork airport just issued, snow between 9pm and 1am, also I saw on ME's website temps of -6c for cork 6am tomorrow morning, at least it will be cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Feels a lot colder tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

dave1982 wrote: »
    Feels a lot colder tonight

What we want is a really slack flow off the land and some precip to come into our said location on the upper flow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No need to be depressed :

wthr_zpsca5f5b77.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

Heavy snow mid ulster 2-5cm in places and coming down rightly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What we want is a really slack flow off the land and some precip to come into our said location on the upper flow.

Just checked car 4c same as this time last night but its still feels a lot colder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Light wet snow in Dundalk about 20 minutes ago. Not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Should get a decent frost tonight. Currently -1.5c not far outside of Waterford city. Dead calm, not a cloud in the sky. Lovely weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Woke up this morning to a nice covering of snow which got thicker as i left for work and no oil left.....

Came home from work to no snow and a lovely roaring fire supplied by the husband until the oil arrives! Thank god for an open fire and back boiler!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eredmond

How's it looking for snow in Waterford city tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

eredmond wrote: »
    How's it looking for snow in Waterford city tonight?
    Hard frost tonight ,no snow Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hard frost tonight ,no snow Im afraid.

Never say never..... Definite chance of precip there, exact projection of where this precip will move later is very hard to pint point, with the weak flows and eddioes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Just out of the car from work and its reading 1c, its bitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement