Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Stick a fork in it, its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WinterLove

Can someone tell me what was said on the 9 o clock news about the weather ?I fell asleep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

freezing fog here now looks cool:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Irish sea looks interesting. Sleep time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Eastern coast from around 7/8am *could be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Light dusting on cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

-5 at the moment in Dublin airport and it looks like those showers in the Irish sea are slowly heading towards land. Hopefully we'll see a bit of "activity" this morning.

EIDW 220500Z 2206/2306 VRB03KT 9999 SCT020 PROB30 TEMPO 2206/2209 4000 BR BKN010 PROB30 TEMPO 2210/2212 4000 -SHRASN BKN008 BECMG 2212/2215 10008KT TEMPO 2212/2219 5000 -SHRAGS BKN010

Basically the possibility of
    Light sleet showers between 10am-12pm
    Graupel/Hail between 12pm-7pm

Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Eastern coast from around 7/8am *could be interesting.

Yip! :) A few bands of nice looking showers this morning heading up the Irish Sea, but, moving NNW and looking like they may 'bump' the east coast in the next couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip! :) A few bands of nice looking showers this morning heading up the Irish Sea, but, moving NNW and looking like they may 'bump' the east coast in the next couple of hours.

Yep, nice bit of activity starting up out there. Looks heavy enough but it might be short-lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Looking good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yep, nice bit of activity starting up out there. Looks heavy enough but it might be short-lived.

Could be more to follow coming out of Cardigan Bay, that's assuming the first bands even make it onshore.

Only problem is that dewpoints are not good. 1.8c at M2 bouy and I see that the showers behind are producing rain on the Welsh coast.

If showers do come onshore here, really need surface wind to stay from the landside to get anything (very) wintery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Only problem is that dewpoints are not good. 1.8c at M2 bouy and I see that the showers behind are producing rain on the Welsh coast.

If showers do come onshore here, really need surface wind to stay from the landside to get anything (very) wintery.
    What DP are you getting Doc, I left Dublin 6 with a temp of -2.5 got to Lucan and its only -1 and its normally the other way round

Hmmm. First weaker band of showers pretty much fizzled out quickly as they approached the coast.

What DP are you getting Doc, I left Dublin 6 with a temp of -2.5 got to Lucan and its only -1 and its normally the other way round

DP of -3.8c. -3.3c here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

I've a DP of -3. Lowest we've had yet in Kilcock. Would have been exciting if we'd had ppn in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Heavy sleet here this morning leaving a slushy mess on grass and cars - road just wet!

Problem is that the DPs are relative, at the moment the are only marginally lower than air temperatures. If showers do arrive, both will shoot up.

DP at M2 bouy 1.8c at 0700.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Didn't someone post on here yesterday that it isn't possible for few points to be higher than temp? There was a bit of science in the post too.
    That means as its minus 5 here at the moment the the dew point must be -5.1 or lower, no?
    So if we get precip then it should be snow??? Am I dumbing that down too much?
    I know clouds coming on could bring both higher but -5 is surely a good starting point?
    My iPhone tells me that rain is on the way but it also tells me -1 is the lowest it'll get today so with it currently -5 it's clearly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Does not look like waterford got what some expected during the night no surprise their. ..

• Advertisement

A morning cloudscape reminiscent of the good old easterly days here in Dublin, although not quite as impressive.

Some nice clouds sliding along the coast against a cold dry subzero land.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

A morning cloudscape reminiscent of the good old easterly days here in Dublin, although not quite as impressive.

Some nice clouds sliding along the coast against a cold dry subzero land.

Does that = snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Brrrrrrrr
    My ipod says its -3 in Dublin, have not got a thermometer.
    Is this the coldest morning this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Leaving DP's aside for The moment, the bigger problem is them showers holding together long enough to produce something, we've very few chances left in this cold snap ... let's hope MT is on the money for Feb...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

-2 according to my car, in Kilkenny town. The car is frozen up a bit but not that badly. There doesn't seem to have been a drop of moisture in the air the last few days. Good hair days. :D

Leaving DP's aside for The moment, the bigger problem is them showers holding together long enough to produce something, we've very few chances left in this cold snap ... let's hope MT is on the money for Feb...

here is hoping.

Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81

Latest EC32 day maintains a trend as we progress further into Feb for northern blocking to return and for a trend towards cold weather again

looking at some models today, it could turn very mild this weekend and next week

-4.0c here now. Bank of cloud to my east and south east which appears to be moving in now off the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

-4.1C in D14 now with Clouds rolling in from the East. :)

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

-4.6c here this morning with a severe frost !
    Can see cloud up over the mountains !

• Advertisement

I see Casement reporting SE wind at 0700, that's not fantastic, but, Dublin AP reporting NW wind, that's good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement