Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Cold tonight with a sharp to severe frost, icy surfaces and some freezing fog too. A band of showers will spread from the west overnight, the showers mainly falling as sleet and snow. Lowest temperatures generally ranging from -1 to -4 degrees, though staying a little above zero in some southern and southwestern coastal parts. Winds will just be light southeasterly

met.ie the munster forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Nada.. Not even a flake here In Kildare! Feel hard done by!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Raining in south Kerry at a temp of 0.7 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

How quick or complete will the thaw be up in the Wicklow Dublin mountains beginning at the weekend. ie. If its too quick, surely that 50-100cm up there is going to cause flooding??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

So all hope's lost then for short term. Anyone see any decent precip reaching the country in next 24 hours while temps are down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

not a flake to be seen in my area once again !!! even though many times the models and met had showin snow around this area. been watchin all winter again and so many times came close but turned out to be a complete non event as usual :( completely have givin up on the weather watching and interest at this stage really .. our weather is just so unpredictable , its just as easy to leave it be and see what happens and not depend too much on models and forecasts anything beyond a few days !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I have no knowledge of reading the models or much interest etc but the weather reports from last week on rte etc on the news seemed to have got the weather 100% correct over the last few days for Dublin anyway.

Also my phone has been 100% as well and I always assumed it was just a gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

It is a joke....belfast and most of the north east gets hammered and most if dublin some light snow showers at best apart from high ground. Crazy....not exposed enough geographically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    It is a joke....belfast and most of the north east gets hammered and most if dublin some light snow showers at best apart from high ground. Crazy....not exposed enough geographically.

Why is it a joke? As you frequently point out Dublin generally does well - you shouldn't begrudge the rest of us our day in the sun / snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's the Irish sea, both your Allie and your Foe. On this occasion the cold pool was *just too marginal. 850hPa temps when precip was around were between -5c and -7c. Tweak these to -8c and -10c and it would have been game on. The cold pool to the east was just not substantial enough to counteract coastal marginality. Initially it appeared the lower level cold from the continent might counteract the marginal uppers, but the dewpoints tend to become more refined as forecast time nears. Shorter forecasts can give more realistic predictions of dew points over sea than for example T96hr GFS forecasts.

It was a case of a 1 or 2 degrees. The system last Friday could have been epic for much of northeastern Ireland had the 850hPa pool from Britain been a few degrees lower.

But alas is the unpredictability and marginality we must live with here in Ireland. It only serves to heighten my interest and is why weather forecasting for Ireland can be so fascinating, if frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It's the Irish sea, both your Allie and your Foe. On this occasion the cold pool was *just too marginal. 850hPa temps when precip was around were between -5c and -7c. Tweak these to -8c and -10c and it would have been game on. The cold pool to the east was just not substantial enough to counteract coastal marginality. Initially it appeared the lower level cold from the continent might counteract the marginal uppers, but the dewpoints tend to become more refined as forecast time nears. Shorter forecasts can give more realistic predictions of dew points over sea than for example T96hr GFS forecasts.

It was a case of a 1 or 2 degrees. The system last Friday could have been epic for much of northeastern Ireland had the 850hPa pool from Britain been a few degrees lower.

But alas is the unpredictability and marginality we must live with here in Ireland. It only serves to heighten my interest and is why weather forecasting for Ireland can be so fascinating, if frustrating.

So wadya think for the weekend? Huge windy event and then more cold for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Very well said. Your posts are always very informative. ;-)
    Brian.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Really can't agree with this enough. Last Friday would have been epic had we been on the right side of this cold pool. But, this is Ireland and it wasn't to be.

Here's hoping February will bring the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Light rain here in limerick city ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

100% agree here weathrcheck!
    Excellent posts always - thank you.

Can you or anyone else confirm! Is the end of jan/ start of feb cold spell still being predicted?
    I ask as i think im done with this specific thread! Cold spell is done for me in dublin for now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Radar looks quiet tonight but I wouldn't rule out the odd surprise snow shower cropping up
    It could happen esp in the Southwest (I mean Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Heavy snow in Castlebar, everything turned white here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Well said, really was so marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

i think it will mainly be rain falling for the south tomorrow maybe some snow on high ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Anyone else surprised at GP's ramping this Winter.
    His forecast was very much cold and extreme and even last week he more or less told us to have the army on stand by
    You would have to say his forecast was almost entirely inaccurate.
    I mean in all fairness heights have been noticeably absent if anything over Greenland
    Note not having a go at him or anything just surprised this year how he let loose so much and called it wrong too!!
    It just goes to show no matter what you just cannot predict the weather beyond 7-10 days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It only serves to heighten my interest and is why weather forecasting for Ireland can be so fascinating

I don't know about that, I mean 99% of the time our weather is deadly boring, after all nearly every other part of the world gets some serious weather, be it heat, cold, monsoon, hurricane and the like... Ireland must have the least interesting climate on the planet!!! - as an aside I don't think you guys in Dub will ever see a repeat of 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Small bit of Snow in Castlebar. Grass white,roads/ground wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wicklow peoples ... any help with giving a good snow lover his snow fix before the chance goes away . Venturing out to wicklow ( by bus ! ) on thursday to try go get some snowy photos , was gonna go to Enniskerry and then probably get a taxi up to glencree , and hike from there to on of the lakes... just wondering is that a decent plan?

Probably 3 of us goin , all itching for some snowy shots! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wicklow peoples ... any help with giving a good snow lover his snow fix before the chance goes away . Venturing out to wicklow ( by bus ! ) on thursday to try go get some snowy photos , was gonna go to Enniskerry and then probably get a taxi up to glencree , and hike from there to on of the lakes... just wondering is that a decent plan?

Wouldn't that be fairly pricy? :D Careful not to slip up on the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Was frosty about 2 hours ago in Drogheda then cloud cover came and the frost went. Still no snow though :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very small chance of snow tonight, seems that the precip is dying over Kerrt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Iancar29 wrote: »

The 145 Bus goes from the City Centre to Kilmacanogue. That's a better starting place. You would be about 2 miles downhill from decent snow. Head up "The Long Hill" (Roundwood Road) and you will come to Calary, its the foot of the Sugarloaf mountain, I was up there on Sunday and it was like being in a ski resort, there was even a van selling hot chocolate and tea/coffee! If you need directions, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

red_bairn wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be fairly pricy? :D Careful not to slip up on the ice.

What be pricey?... the taxi?.... :confused:

Ill be graaaaaaaaaand :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fontenoy7 wrote: »

thats slightly off, most of the north-east saw rain/sleet like the rest of us, it was mainly areas well inland with a bit of height that got the snow north of Kells and into Cavan, and even the few low lying areas that were lucky enough to get the snow last friday, it melted really fast, in fact my area had 2 overnight light snowfalls during the spell which I did not get to witness because it had already melted before I got out of bed. The only areas that had proper lying snow that lasted all day long and beyond were high ground locations in the Irish republic. England,Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland was a different story entirely you'd swear the snow Gods had something against us!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement