Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Small bit of Snow in Castlebar. Grass white,roads/ground wet.
    Id say yeah will get few more showers there tonite...just had light snow shower around 6 this eve..they seem to be staying more west now.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Currently minus 0.9 degrees here in Limerick at the moment, with a light rain falling and freezing at the same time, weird weather....

Wouldn't fancy driving in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Hi - ive been following MT Cranium's forecasts last few days - IMO he's been spot on - it's really COLD here in North Meath - but not as cold as a COLD SNAP - we've seen much worse weather here during regular winters - I remember battling freezing fog, mad cold temps of -6 getting kids to school and keeping "pipes" going!

In 2010 we saw -14 one morn in back garden. Not THAT's a COLD SNAP!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Weather Channel App giving 70% chance of snow in Sligo for over the weekend, any thought from the experts here on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Eden3 wrote: »

In 2010 we saw -14 one morn in back garden. Not THAT's a COLD SNAP!:eek::eek:

I came up from the Korean countryside to meet my Dad and older brother in Seoul (29th Dec, 2010) and we felt the average temps...-15c. It was -7c where I lived. Unfortunately, I missed out on Irelands snow event. The snow turns to horrible black ice over there and the city workers shovel the snow off the roads and into large piles on the pavements...which get walked on and form ice rinks all over the city. :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭squonk

Skies have cleared here in North Clare. The ground is pretty wet from rain all evening and temps are low so ice is very likely. Carefully out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone else surprised at GP's ramping this Winter.
    His forecast was very much cold and extreme and even last week he more or less told us to have the army on stand by
    You would have to say his forecast was almost entirely inaccurate.
    I mean in all fairness heights have been noticeably absent if anything over Greenland
    Note not having a go at him or anything just surprised this year how he let loose so much and called it wrong too!!
    It just goes to show no matter what you just cannot predict the weather beyond 7-10 days

He said from the getgo that he didn't think this spell was the 'Big One' he was referring to in his October Winter forecast coming early. That he reckoned that this could just be an h'orduerve for what was to come in early/mid February according to his research. An h'orduerve that for us has gone sour but that doesn't mean the main course that might be still cooking won't be a delicious feast.

His daily forecasts for this event haven't been perfect but neither have Glasnevins. Both were a little bit optimistic in terms of snow totals. He was not entirely inaacurate because his talk about the army etc is surely in relation to what he thinks is coming in February???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Calibos wrote: »

He said from the getgo that he didn't think this spell was the 'Big One' he was referring to in his October Winter forecast coming early. That he reckoned that this could just be an h'orduerve for what was to come in early/mid February according to his research. An h'orduerve that for us has gone sour but that doesn't mean the main course that might be still cooking won't be a delicious feast.

His daily forecasts for this event haven't been perfect but neither have Glasnevins. Both were a little bit optimistic in terms of snow totals. He was not entirely inaacurate because his talk about the army etc is surely in relation to what he thinks is coming in February???
    Think your mixing up MT and GP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Calibos wrote: »

GP is Glacier Point on netweather and not our own MT , although he does post over the under another name,which prob should have been mentioned that post.

MTs long range stuff for me this year has been excellent , at the shorter range he likes the rest of us could only tell what the models were saying and we all know how poor they were getting to grips what was actually going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

DOH!! , Edens post referencing MT a few posts after JanuarySnowstorms threw me and I assumed Glacierpoint (GP) on Netweather must be MT (Peter O'D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The 'fun' ( I use that term very loosely :p) for the east coast is not quite over just yet.

Showers forecast to get going today over the Irish Sea and with an easterly wind, these will be driven onshore to the east coast.

Temperatures are not good (for snow)...but...dew point at the M2 Bouy is 0.0c atm, so I would expect a wintry mix of rain, hail, sleet showers, at least, and possibly snow showers for higher ground.

Another day on watch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Heavy hail shower here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So much for frost last nite and this morning it never happend

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Balmy morning in South Dublin at 100m ASL, well not quite but not even a bit of frost on the car was a bit of a surpise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Vudgie wrote: »
    Balmy morning in South Dublin at 100m ASL, well not quite but not even a bit of frost on the car was a bit of a surpise.

Quite mild in Greystones and Lansdowne Road in comparison to yesterday and Monday. The temps are up and down. I'd be surprised if it doesn't go back to chilly conditions until after the storm over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Luggala in Wicklow this afternoon.

DSC00319_zpsf837a0fd.jpg

DSC00316_zps97188a0f.jpg

DSC00310_zps82eb1fb9.jpg

DSC00308_zps477c2c51.jpg

DSC00321_zps008787a3.jpg

Unreal pics there, excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So much for frost last nite and this morning it never happend
    In comparison here we had frost very early in the evening then a shower of graupel/sleet at some stage in the night which is now frozen to everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This thread needs more pictures!

Three Rock mountain, Dublin, yesterday morning.

3rocksnow2.jpg

3rocksnow3.jpg

3rocksnow4.jpg

3rocksnow1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Really weird weather. It did freeze at about 11 last night but this morning no frost and 2.2c. Nothin on the car although slippy on the garden path. 2 showers of graupel (short lived) and can hear the drip of melting in the drainpipes. However, still a good lot of the snow remaining on roofs and grass and paths - strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This thread needs more pictures!

Three Rock mountain, Dublin, yesterday morning.

3rocksnow2.jpg

3rocksnow3.jpg

3rocksnow4.jpg

3rocksnow1.jpg

How do you get to Three Rock? I know where the hockey pitch is.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How do you get to Three Rock? I know where the hockey pitch is.

Thanks
    It's actually a few km away from Three Rock Rovers.

Entrance to ticknock woods is here: https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=53.255625,-6.251285&ll=53.255689,-6.251312&spn=0.002693,0.004823&sll=53.255537,-6.251310&layer=c&cbp=13,94.99,,0,-6.47&cbll=53.255552,-6.251382&t=m&z=18&panoid=VuvgYOXc2CqHNtfwLxx_2Q

It's about a 45 minute walk to the summit.

Note that the roads up to the carpark are quite steep so if it's snowy or icy at all, your normal vehicle probably won't even get up to the carpark so you'll need to walk up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snow queen Wexford

Does anyone think this front moving in from the west has a chance of producing anything for me here in south west Wexford... It's holding up well as it moves in... Is it just gonna be rain??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Does anyone think this front moving in from the west has a chance of producing anything for me here in south west Wexford... It's holding up well as it moves in... Is it just gonna be rain??

Yes just rain for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

It's time to let go. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

P*ssing Rain in Cork currently. 3 deg....
    hoping its doesn't freeze tonight or wont be able to move.

Strangely quiet in here today, no post every 30 seconds? What??!! The Snow lovers have gone into hibernation!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strangely quiet in here today, no post every 30 seconds? What??!! The Snow lovers have gone into hibernation!

No snow = now snow lovers! :D

Did a have a few light hail showers earlier, but, by the looks of it that's all for now folks! Have to await reload and next cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Birtles wrote: »
    P*ssing Rain in Cork currently. 3 deg....
    hoping its doesn't freeze tonight or wont be able to move.
    Rain turning to sleet/snow here in N. Cork at the minute.... Current situation...
    34g62jt.jpg

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No snow = now snow lovers! :D

Did a have a few light hail showers earlier, but, by the looks of it that's all for now folks! Have to await reload and next cold spell.

That's it. Hopefully that cold snap that everyone was mentioning in Feb does actually happen. And not just on high ground either.

I couldn't believe the amount of posts being fired onto this forum over the past few days, it was insane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Are you on higher ground there irishfeen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement