Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Would the feet of snow up in the dublin and wicklow mountains still be there by this weekend? or has it started to thaw already? Id like to go up and visit, wouldnt be great of it was all slushy and in the process of thawing though :/

Tonnes still up there today and again tomorrow.

Heavy rain Friday will wash a lot of it away, but will be still some slush or maybe even snow left till Sunday. Although how much depends on the rainfall Friday (but uppers don't go too high, just above 0c)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

It looks like there is a few showers in the Irish Sea looks like there heading towards dublin any chance they could be wintry or just dissapear before hitting land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Would the feet of snow up in the dublin and wicklow mountains still be there by this weekend? or has it started to thaw already? Id like to go up and visit, wouldnt be great of it was all slushy and in the process of thawing though :/
    I've a good view of 3 rock from a few miles off & today it looked more like it was slushy & melting, nothing like the whiteness a few days ago.
    I've no idea what it's like on the ground though, never got a chance to head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So it's all going to melt? Messy!

67467_10151184334010938_411008521_n.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

chris2007 wrote: »
    It looks like there is a few showers in the Irish Sea looks like there heading towards dublin any chance they could be wintry or just dissapear before hitting land?

They seem to gaining strength as they near the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thy seem to gaining strength as they near the coast.

Ninja Snow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

DOCARCH wrote: »

Ninja Snow! :D

Are the dew points low enough though?

Are the dew points low enough though?

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Might be. 0.2 at sea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see wind at Casement atm is NW while E at Dublin AP.

This was the difference the other day between south Dublin getting snow and north Dublin getting sleet even.

One to watch. I think temps are too high.....but, you never no! Last chance saloon.

Here is a map of the current temperatures in Ireland. Hover the cursor over the temperatures and it'll give you the dew points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see wind at Casement atm is NW while E at Dublin AP.

This was the difference the other day between south Dublin getting snow and north Dublin getting sleet even.

One to watch. I think temps are too high.....but, you never no! Last chance saloon.

Well we can hope but doubt it would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

chris2007 wrote: »
    with temps around 2c and dp 0.2 at M2 at the moment it just likes more of the same, in other words rain turning to sleet and maybe some snow in the heavier bursts.
    What I find really ironic at the moment is the fact that frost is more likely in eastern areas on friday and saturday nights AFTER we lose the easterly influence and the atlantic takes over. I'm tired of this half hearted "cold" spell at this stage and looking forward to clearer skies after living under a blanket of cloud for what seems like an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

with temps around 2c and dp 0.2 at M2 at the moment it just likes more of the same, in other words rain turning to sleet and maybe some snow in the heavier bursts.
    What I find really ironic at the moment is the fact that frost is more likely in eastern areas on friday and saturday nights AFTER we lose the easterly influence and the atlantic takes over. I'm tired of this half hearted "cold" spell at this stage and looking forward to clearer skies after living under a blanket of cloud for what seems like an eternity.

I agree. I was expecting like 2010 not in the way of snow but bright frosty days with frost hanging around all day.

What we got was gray with frozen drizzle and may be 2 or 3 days of frost.

Lucreto wrote: »
    I agree. I was expecting like 2010 not in the way of snow but bright frosty days with frost hanging around all day.

What we got was gray with frozen drizzle and may be 2 or 3 days of frost.

yes, we're going nowhere and not getting anything from this slack easterly so I think a pattern change is overdue. Lets see what the Atlantic can throw at us, with depressions unusually deep as charts are showing it may run out of steam quicker than we think and blocking develop - the dice is cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

In my opinion this cold spell delivered everything it was forecast too, if not more. There no suggestion of a spell with extreme cold. I think people here might have lost the run of themselves with the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    In my opinion this cold spell delivered everything it was forecast too, if not more. There no suggestion of a spell with extreme cold. I think people here might have lost the run of themselves with the hype.

2010 ruined us, if its it not snow/cold of epic proportions, then its not good enough. You'd swear people on here are so used to "Canadian style" winters that our 3 day cold/snow spell is just another week to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I think people here might have lost the run of themselves with the hype.

True some were expecting a 2010 beater but I was not expecting that. 1 or 2C during the day is what I expected with sun shine. I love winter sun shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Here is a map of the current temperatures in Ireland. Hover the cursor over the temperatures and it'll give you the dew points.

I see icy.

I couldn't agree with you more about 2010 ruining us. I know what the Irish climate is capable of - (how many times have I flown from 30c London into drizzly 14c Dublin in July/August ) all you can do is live in hope and experience another December 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

ardmacha wrote: »

Where's that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Do u know where this pic was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Our cold feed was coming from the Britain. There was no substantial feed coming from a deeper to replenish Britain.

We did quite well out of it. Parts of Kerry and Cork did better this time than they did in 2010 :)
    Wicklow mountains got more snow than anywhere else.

Bring on the next on. Dress well and you wont complain about the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Google image search tells me that this is "Quebec City in winter, QC, about 1894".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Nabber wrote: »
    Our cold feed was coming from the Britain. There was no substantial feed coming from a deeper to replenish Britain.

We did quite well out of it. Parts of Kerry and Cork did better this time than they did in 2010 :)
    Wicklow mountains got more snow than anywhere else.

Bring on the next on. Dress well and you wont complain about the cold

Yep, we did better in Monaghan (Castleblayney) this last few days than we did in 2010. There's still a fair bit of snow on the ground but as long as the roads are clear I don't mind at all. IIRC, 2010 was extreme prolonged cold, it stayed foggy for about 4 days solid, there wasn't much snow compared to where I live in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've been finding the Met.ie weather forecast for Dublin very poor this week. I cycle to work and depending on whether or not it's likely to be very frosty / icy I'll take a mountian bike instead of my normal one.

However when the reporting was of frost to severe an / or sleet, instead I've found clear roads and paths. Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I've been finding the Met.ie weather forecast for Dublin very poor this week. I cycle to work and depending on whether or not it's likely to be very frosty / icy I'll take a mountian bike instead of my normal one.

However when the reporting was of frost to severe an / or sleet, instead I've found clear roads and paths. Is it just me?

There were frosts ok and wintry showers, maybe you just got lucky in an urban or coastal area.

Its a bit sad that the only interesting thing I have seen on this tread for a while is a Canadian 100+ year old photo of a snow fill street :(
    I really and truly hope MT and others are right about Feb or this will be just another wash out IMBY , March last year was so warm and I naively taught we were in for a BBQ summer, but all it has down for the last 2 years is Rain Rain Rain! All I want at this stage is something unique weather wise to standout from the hum drum (RAIN)!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Its a bit sad that the only interesting thing I have seen on this tread for a while is a Canadian 100+ year old photo of a snow fill street :(
    I really and truly hope MT and others are right about Feb or this will be just another wash out IMBY , March last year was so warm and I naively taught we were in for a BBQ summer, but all it has down for the last 2 years is Rain Rain Rain! All I want at this stage is something unique weather wise to standout from the hum drum (RAIN)!!!!1

UK Outlook for Tuesday 29 Jan 2013 to Thursday 7 Feb 2013:
    Rather unsettled throughout much of this period, with spells of rain, and occasional hill snow in the north, interspersed with clearer, showery interludes, for many areas. The heaviest, and most prolonged spells of rain will tend to be in the west, with the best of any drier, brighter weather towards the east. It will also be windy at times, with a risk of gales, especially in the north, perhaps even severe gales in the far west and northwest. Generally mild at first, then temperatures falling close to the seasonal average in many parts, although it will often feel cold in the wind and rain. However, southern areas could remain on the mild side, with overnight frost mainly confined to inland shelter.

UK Outlook for Friday 8 Feb 2013 to Friday 22 Feb 2013:
    There is greater than average uncertainty throughout this period. The most likely scenario is for conditions at the start of this period to be less cold than at the moment but also on the unsettled side. In terms of rain and snowfall, southern parts in particular will probably start wetter than average, but trend to nearer normal by mid-month, while the north will probably see drier than average conditions for much of the period. Temperatures for the rest of this period are not expected to be far from the seasonal norm.

Issued at: 1600 on Thu 24 Jan 2013

Met office outlook was better a few days ago. Ominous from then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Last night's forecast was spot on, I thought. They said cold, but warmer along the east coast and when I checked my weather station this morning, it hadn't dropped below 2 all night. Therefore, I took the road bike today.
    Very important to me, though, is my weather station. The Met Eireann temp for Dublin doesn't tell me what the temp is where I am (Lucan) but I can tell what it is and guess what it's like on my commute. When it's marginal like today, I find that I can be more accurate on a fine level than the broad country forecast.

Ha - just reading back over that, I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you

• Advertisement

Weathering wrote: »
    UK Outlook for Tuesday 29 Jan 2013 to Thursday 7 Feb 2013:
    Rather unsettled throughout much of this period, with spells of rain, and occasional hill snow in the north, interspersed with clearer, showery interludes, for many areas. The heaviest, and most prolonged spells of rain will tend to be in the west, with the best of any drier, brighter weather towards the east. It will also be windy at times, with a risk of gales, especially in the north, perhaps even severe gales in the far west and northwest. Generally mild at first, then temperatures falling close to the seasonal average in many parts, although it will often feel cold in the wind and rain. However, southern areas could remain on the mild side, with overnight frost mainly confined to inland shelter.

UK Outlook for Friday 8 Feb 2013 to Friday 22 Feb 2013:
    There is greater than average uncertainty throughout this period. The most likely scenario is for conditions at the start of this period to be less cold than at the moment but also on the unsettled side. In terms of rain and snowfall, southern parts in particular will probably start wetter than average, but trend to nearer normal by mid-month, while the north will probably see drier than average conditions for much of the period. Temperatures for the rest of this period are not expected to be far from the seasonal norm.

Issued at: 1600 on Thu 24 Jan 2013

Met office outlook was better a few days ago. Ominous from then

This looks like some sort of standard template that they post whenever they cannot be bothered. It is basically a vague snapshot of the climate we live in :)
    I don't have the expertise or knowledge to rule out a cold spell in Feb but I can say that I do not have the confidence to back MT and others to the hilt on this one. Lets hope whichever camp is wrong on this will explain why and what went wrong in their forecasts so the rest can see the flaws in their methods and learn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement