Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from sledging with my wife and son up the mountains near Ticknock. Unbelievable winter wonderland still up there.
    In Ireland sometimes you need to go to the snow. In some ways I'm glad it is so close to be fun but not so close as to be an inconvenience.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Supercell wrote: »
    Just back from sledging with my wife and son up the mountains near Ticknock. Unbelievable winter wonderland still up there.
    In Ireland sometimes you need to go to the snow. In some ways I'm glad it is so close to be fun but not so close as to be an inconvenience.

Let me ask you, Supercell, is it still frozen up there or is it thawing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Donny5 wrote: »
    Let me ask you, Supercell, is it still frozen up there or is it thawing?

I'd say above around 400 metres its still sub zero below that its melting faster the lower you go.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd say above around 400 metres its still sub zero below that its melting faster the lower you go.

It is amazing how much is still on 3 rock. Even at our house poor ol' mr. Snowman's body is still sitting at the side of the road even though the grass is green again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Still a heck of a lot of snow in my part of Tyrone.
    IMAG0268_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0273_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0272_BURST001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

mallards wrote: »
    Still a heck of a lot of snow in my part of Tyrone.

Your dog looks awesome, The Snow Beast of Tyrone! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Clinging to hope reading MTs forecast. We might get some snow yet. Winter is not over yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Clinging to hope reading MTs forecast. We might get some snow yet. Winter is not over yet! ;)

Have you got his forecast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

We are bound to have a few more cold snaps. Winter is not over by any manner or mean. Patience is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Think i got my fix up in 3 rock today :)

395523_10151430279716718_1809329036_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Iancar29 wrote: »

You would never believe that to be Ireland , looks like a picture from Sweden or the Alps , brilliant ,

Excellent , cheers for sharing

Dude would you mind pinging me a google map of that location? I'm off work tomorrow so would love to bring the dog up

Dude would you mind pinging me a google map of that location? I'm off work tomorrow so would love to bring the dog up

Here you go.

Thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Are we getting any more cold weather troops?

Heard the middle of next week and the tail end it is meant to get fairly nippy opposed to the mildish weather over the weekend;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hard to believe that 1 or 2C seperated us from the wet muck we received and the snowy conditions in that fantastic photograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Gonzo wrote: »
    hard to believe that 1 or 2C seperated us from the wet muck we received and the snowy conditions in that fantastic photograph.

That happens every year. We probably have the worst climate in the northern hemisphere, or at least the most frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Gonzo wrote: »

I know , going up we thought it couldnt possibly get better than what it was like half way up... but ye... it did! :)

heres some more btw

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/

Wish it wasnt all getting washed away today! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like our pals over the water are going to get dumped on tonight , when this rain hits the cold built up over the last week.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

DominoDub wrote: »
    Looks like our pals over the water are going to get dumped on tonight , when this rain hits the cold built up over the last week.:rolleyes:

They are going to get an absolute pasting from all this rain heading towards them.

Just in time for the weekend too. The b******s :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They are going to get an absolute pasting from all this rain heading towards them.

Just in time for the weekend too. The b******s :mad:

Yea! Some good amounts of precip forecast! Some places, especially high ground could get PLASTERED!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

yes, we're going nowhere and not getting anything from this slack easterly so I think a pattern change is overdue. Lets see what the Atlantic can throw at us, with depressions unusually deep as charts are showing it may run out of steam quicker than we think and blocking develop - the dice is cast

This looks like a much quieter Atlantic at +144 (borderline FI?) not a particularly cold looking chart but you never know?

Rukm1441.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Yea! Some good amounts of precip forecast! Some places, especially high ground could get PLASTERED!
    a good few of my family and freinds are pissing me right off with their "Snowmageddon" updates:D

Seems a right few areas are getting pumped with the white stuff:cool:

Thanks man!

Did you go up in the end? What were the conditions like?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I know , going up we thought it couldnt possibly get better than what it was like half way up... but ye... it did! :)

heres some more btw

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/

Wish it wasnt all getting washed away today! :(

Love your photos Ian, even apart from the fact of having snow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Amazing photos Ian! Reminds me of pics of snow Ive seen up in ski resorts in the Alps:pac: Cant believe i never took a trip up, I was going to this weekend but I'd imagine its all washed away now with all the rain :/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Amazing photos Ian! Reminds me of pics of snow Ive seen up in ski resorts in the Alps:pac: Cant believe i never took a trip up, I was going to this weekend but I'd imagine its all washed away now with all the rain :/

Snowline was receeding pretty quickly this afternoon and that was before the heavier rain arrived!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snowline was receeding pretty quickly this afternoon and that was before the heavier rain arrived!

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any snow left in Wicklow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Donny5 wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any snow left in Wicklow?

Very little at this stage I would imagine. As Docarch said, the snowline was receding rapidly even before the heavier rain arrived. It's been around 8C all day so anything below about 800m (everywhere except the very highest peaks) will be melting.

I hoped to head tomorrow too, but no point anymore :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement