Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Stunning NAE to 48hrs. Would deliver a decent bit of white stuff to a number of areas.

Hi Weathercheck, in laymans terms does this mean we could have snow on the east coast tomorrow?

Also what is the NAE.....is this the GFS? :rolleyes:

D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

And we're back in south westerlies by Wednesday. FCS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

this weather station on mt leinster hosted by the Irish Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association might be of interest tommorrow,
    http://www.ihpa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=246&Itemid=5
    don't know how accurate it is, seems to have stopped sending data since darkness fell,
    maybe has something to do with solar power.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

6.5C in mid ulster, warmest it has been all day! I wait in hope but it's quite mild out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Temp in Donegal Town is 6.7c. Very windy and spitting rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

The car thermometer was hovering between 7 an 8C in Kildare just a short while ago. Feels very mild out dispite the wind, speaking of which is somewhat of hazard for anyone driving on the M7 through Kildare, got blasted sideways a number of times this evening, very sudden strong almost explosive gusts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Going to say it again - the GFS is comfortably winning the out here. I expect little/no snow this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

this weather station on mt leinster hosted by the Irish Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association might be of interest tommorrow,
    http://www.ihpa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=246&Itemid=5
    don't know how accurate it is, seems to have stopped sending data since darkness fell,
    maybe has something to do with solar power.

Its not working at the moment, hasnt been for some time. Temps seems to be stuck at 5C plus its giving a dewpoint of -18! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Temperature steadily falling on the east coast.

Down to 5.6c in my back yard.

Temp down to 6.3 and falling from earliers 7.7.
    Ooh keep falling!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Saganist wrote: »
    Someone order a blowtorch?. Hopefully its wrong.... :rolleyes:

[IMG]http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013011718/gfs-1-138.png?18/IMG]/QUOTE] Surely +138 is deep FI at this stage ?[/img]

It is, but the GFS has been very consistent with this, and its not suddenly game over at 138, it's stuff that happens earlier than that, back around 96 that make the end inevitable on that run. So it's a bit worrying. But as I said, hopefully its wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Temps well up on the 10pm slot
    Double figures for the South and the coldest I can see is 6C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

derekon wrote: »

D

The NAE is the UK Met Office's North Atlantic and European forecasting model.

It is, but the GFS has been very consistent with this, and its not suddenly game over at 138, it's stuff that happens earlier than that, back around 96 that make the end inevitable on that run. So it's a bit worrying. But as I said, hopefully its wrong.

You can bet your bottom dollar this will be the outcome, knowing our luck. Is it backed up by other models?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Weathercheck, in laymans terms does this mean we could have snow on the east coast tomorrow?

D

European high resolution model D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Temps well up on the 10pm slot
    Double figures for the South and the coldest I can see is 6C

Eh....the cold air isn't supposed to kick into the northeast (properly) until dawn tomorrow. It's going to be a very slow process for that cold air to work south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Saganist wrote: »

I was disagreeing with you last night Maq but very much agree tonight
    That's about 4 gfs runs in a row that end this at mid week.
    I have huge confidence in the gfs and think all this talk of rubbishing the model to be misplaced
    I would put my mortgage on a half way house tomorrow morning where they all break it down by around Thursday
    Also worth noting that we now dont pick up an Easterly drift at any point over the next 6 days away from the East Coast and our cold is coming off the North Atlantic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »
    DP for M2 buoy was +3.5 @ 9pm. The one to watch for me.

10pm update - now at +2.4 degrees *holds breath expectantly*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still 9c in Sligo but 8.6c so I suppose that counts as a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Its not working at the moment, hasnt been for some time. Temps seems to be stuck at 5C plus its giving a dewpoint of -18! haha

The wind data is all they want and that is working, there is another station up there I'll try find data link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I mentioned it last night and will say it again
    Until we get proper heights to the North the whole thing is very very fragile

This exactly.

For some of the forecasts for weeks of snow, the measly northern blocking on models would not cut it at all! Granted there'll be changes everyday for weeks to come, but for now, don't see as much hope today for sustained cold. Maybe February will bring a different ball game.

Back to tomorrow, it feels very March 30/31st atm, very windy and wet with potential for it to turn to snow in a few hours time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Going to say it again - the GFS is comfortably winning the out here. I expect little/no snow this weekend.

Winning the out? Your messages dont make any sense- we wont know which model was right until tomorrow. I would favour the higher resolution one personally- what about you? Why are you so confident in the GFS?

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

Current temp ranges (on met.ie) are from 11C in Valentia - 6C in Dublin & Meath, don't see temps dropping by 6C overnight.... Still Friday was never a snow event for us, so let's hope later in the weekend when cold becomes more entrenched we'll get a proper snow event!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Temp 5.3 here (DP 4.7), falling gradually in a strong S/SE wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Wow, some very intense rain echoes on the radar around the Clare/Limerick area. Tomorrow is going to be very messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Fairly surprised at that. Lets hope for a dramatic fall after midnight.
    Same in other side of the hills and pelting rain

GFS seems to remember what weather we should be getting at the end of the run and sends us the worst south westerlies it can muster. Punishment for the dreaded sin of receiving snow no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Couldn't care less if it breaks down by midweek personally,would be happy any winter just to have 1-2 days with an inch or 2 lying and to be able to walk about in a heavy snow shower so you can at least remember it was winter,and the fact that it may possibly occur over a weekend is even better when you are off. Novelty wears off after a few days anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

rc28 wrote: »
    Wow, some very intense rain echoes on the radar around the Clare/Limerick area. Tomorrow is going to be very messy!

That's some serious amount of water falling there. I haven't seen the radar looking so colourful since the latest radar page update. And with all that cold air just a couple hundred miles away ready to get involved too. Anything can happen really. Messy is the best word to describe it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

SandraD wrote: »
    Current temp ranges (on met.ie) are from 11C in Valentia - 6C in Dublin & Meath, don't see temps dropping by 6C overnight.... Still Friday was never a snow event for us, so let's hope later in the weekend when cold becomes more entrenched we'll get a proper snow event!

No offence but you obviously don't know much about weather.

The temperature now has nothing to do with how things are forecast to pan out on Friday so I don't know why you keep quoting the current temps around the country and stating that it means it's too warm for snow tomorrow.

Temperatures are due to fall rapidly as the night progresses. The early part of tonight has been forecast to be mild.

You seem to think that it's impossible for temperatures to fall rapidly within a short space of time. I can tell you that it's very possible (even in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

hawkwing wrote: »
    Couldn't care less if it breaks down by midweek personally,would be happy any winter just to have 1-2 days with an inch or 2 lying and to be able to walk about in a heavy snow shower so you can at least remember it was winter,and the fact that it may possibly occur over a weekend is even better when you are off. Novelty wears off after a few days anyway..

Blasphemy :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement