Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

hawkwing wrote: »
    Couldn't care less if it breaks down by midweek personally,would be happy any winter just to have 1-2 days with an inch or 2 lying and to be able to walk about in a heavy snow shower so you can at least remember it was winter,and the fact that it may possibly occur over a weekend is even better when you are off. Novelty wears off after a few days anyway..

Totally agree. I'd love a two-week freeze fest but I'd happily take 4 or 5 cold days with a few passing snow showers.

I think the winters of 2009 and 2010 spoiled us and clouded people's views on what's realistically possible for an Irish winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Deank wrote: »
    If only the uppers were a few degrees colder and the DP about -1

WEB_radar3_201301172215.png

This Winter has been full of "if only's" it really is heartbreaking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lets hope it stays warm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So do we have anyone on high ground in Wicklow that will be able to confirm if the NAE is right about the rain turning to snow there around 6am tomorrow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

compsys wrote: »
    No offence but you obviously don't know much about weather.

The temperature now has nothing to do with how things are forecast to pan out on Friday so I don't know why you keep quoting the current temps around the country and stating that it means it's too warm for snow tomorrow.

Temperatures are due to fall rapidly as the night progresses. The early part of tonight has been forecast to be mild.

You seem to think that it's impossible for temperatures to fall rapidly within a short space of time. I can tell you that it's very possible (even in Ireland).

Weather newbie here - is the wind/gusting we're experiencing now indicative of the current mild front coming into contact with the cold one that's due for Friday?

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »

Welcome-to-Ireland-sign-at-Shannon-Airport.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

So do we have anyone on high ground in Wicklow that will be able to confirm if the NAE is right about the rain turning to snow there around 6am tomorrow? :P

Calling Arctictree!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Does 18m count as high ground? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Sky news chart (for the hopefulls out there)

UKWx-201301180600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Im approx 215 to 220mtrs asl in wicklow around 5miles frm lug,, wont be up at that time tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Temperature is on the decline here, before 9pm it was 7.3C, now at 6.4C.

The graph for my weather station is showing a steady decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Packing my gear, should be in position with weather station set up on Lug summit by 4am. Will post from mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

pad199207 wrote: »

Ah comon pad- weekend is looking good :)

Oh and to people who keep talking about how warm it is now- it was -8.5C on Christmas day 2010 here- It was 8C less than 24 hours later. Temperatures can and will change rapidly in the next 24hours.

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

hawkwing wrote: »
    Couldn't care less if it breaks down by midweek personally,would be happy any winter just to have 1-2 days with an inch or 2 lying and to be able to walk about in a heavy snow shower so you can at least remember it was winter,and the fact that it may possibly occur over a weekend is even better when you are off. Novelty wears off after a few days anyway..

Yes, +1! To hell with the longer term GFS runs for the moment. Take that:

the_office_animated_gif.gif

The next 48 hours could be very good indeed!

Absolutely lashing rain here with strong winds. Seriously lashing. If anyone is getting this as snow tomorrow they are in for a bit of a whiteout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Oh and to people who keep talking about how warm it is now- it was -8.5C on Christmas day 2010 here- It was 8C less than 24 hours later. Temperatures can and will change rapidly in the next 24hours.

Very good point, I think we all remember just how dramatically the temperature changed on Christmas Night/Stephens Day - it was simply astounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

I was disagreeing with you last night Maq but very much agree tonight
    That's about 4 gfs runs in a row that end this at mid week.
    I have huge confidence in the gfs and think all this talk of rubbishing the model to be misplaced
    I would put my mortgage on a half way house tomorrow morning where they all break it down by around Thursday
    Also worth noting that we now dont pick up an Easterly drift at any point over the next 6 days away from the East Coast and our cold is coming off the North Atlantic

In fairness the current GFS runs are showing 8 uppers encroaching on parts of the country which would equate to temps of close to 15 degrees or so. In January! I doubt that's going to pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Absolutely lashing rain here with strong winds. Seriously lashing. If anyone is getting this as snow tomorrow they are in for a bit of a whiteout.

It would be very unpleasant and safer to be in out of it, if whioteout conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Spot the difference : and which one has handled things better the last while ?

One is raw data ,the other has human hand put to it ;)

Both 120 hours

236787.png

fax120s.gif?17-12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

It's unusual hearing easterly winds. My bedroom window faces a west-southwest direction and gets pounded the Atlantic sh.ite, but I can hear the wind hitting the trees a lot clearer.

My car reads 7.5*C but a weather station in a nearby town here in Meath has the temperature at 5*C.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

compsys wrote: »

In fairness the current GFS runs are showing 8 uppers encroaching on parts of the country which would equate to temps of close to 15 degrees or so. In January! I doubt that's going to pan out.

The GFS has done this already this month. This place is filling me with deja vu It was the same over in NW a few weeks ago. On the plus side that ended with snow in the UK .. I'm taking that as a good sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

rc28 wrote: »
    Very good point, I think we all remember just how dramatically the temperature changed on Christmas Night/Stephens Day - it was simply astounding!

I had -14 on Christmas Day, woke up Stephens Day morning it was +10, 24 degree shift in under 12 hours, it was quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Steady temperature decrease continuing here.

Now 5.2c/ Only another 5c to go! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Pete, havent been following fax lately, how has it being performing lately, in comparison to other models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

6.1 deg, light rain and very strong winds! Glad I'm inside.

Dublin Airport - 5 deg DP 4
    Belfast Airport - 5 deg DP 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Drizzle has turned to moderate rain here- Getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

All true. But generally......

Getting cold in from the east....
    300px-Irish_600kg_euro_chap_2009.JPG

Then when the Atlantic decides it ready for normal duty again....
    flamethrower.gif#flame%20thrower%20gif%20320x240

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temp 7.0c
    Dp @ 5.5c
    Windchill @ 3.9c

Recent Gust 50 KMH out of the SSW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

I don't get why people are worrying about the Gfs out in FI? Just take a look back at the charts for this weekend a few days ago and ull see how things change. Beyond the next few days means very little when things are as complex as they are right now.

The likes of MT aren't suggesting the possibility of a very cold week ahead for nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement