Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Told my little 3yr old Niece that we'd be going playing in the snow on Saturday and her eyes lit up with such excitement, she ran over to her mam beaming from ear to ear and shouted snow, like it was the best thing ever.
    Unfortunately she's doesn't understand days of the week yet, she ran straight into the sitting room, jumped on the couch to look out the window. There was no Snow buts lots of crying, I really hope you guys are right and we get some snow it would make one little girl very happy as she was too young to remember the last snow.
    I've my toboggan at the ready : )

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

Has there been a shift the other way? Say 8C to -8C in a short time? I only ever remember the rise when rain and wind come in from the west after a cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

ME Tweet - rain turning to sleet and snow at dawn in the North and East 37mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Deank wrote: »

I had -14 on Christmas Day, woke up Stephens Day morning it was +10, 24 degree shift in under 12 hours, it was quite impressive.

Summer weather ^^

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Pete, havent been following fax lately, how has it being performing lately, in comparison to other models?

Its been pretty decent from what I have seen,but have not been keeping a keen eye on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

compsys wrote: »

In fairness the current GFS runs are showing 8 uppers encroaching on parts of the country which would equate to temps of close to 15 degrees or so. In January! I doubt that's going to pan out.

+8 uppers? Problem?

nEcl6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm drawing the line. NE of a line drawn from Dundalk to Derry snow, sleety crap at best elsewhere near sea level. Which would uncoincidently leave me far away from the snow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very windy on the coast - Dun Laoghaire Harbour Weather station recporting an 80 km/hr gust a few minutes ago: http://www.dlharbour.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

red_bairn wrote: »
    Summer weather ^^

It felt like it when the pipes started defrosting and we had running water again:D, two weeks of dog sh!t to clean up from the back garden wasn't as welcome once the thaw came though:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

5.0c here atm. Steady but very slow fall all evening.

I saw that the DP at the M2 bouy was at 5c earlier. :( Now 2c :). That's the one to watch!

• Advertisement

Northern Ireland Weather Update:

UPDATE: Rain is expected to turn to Sleet and Snow over Co Antrim & Co Down shortly after midnight.

Our warnings will be amended soon as there has been some changes and warnings may be upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

compsys wrote: »
    No offence but you obviously don't know much about weather.

The temperature now has nothing to do with how things are forecast to pan out on Friday so I don't know why you keep quoting the current temps around the country and stating that it means it's too warm for snow tomorrow.

Temperatures are due to fall rapidly as the night progresses. The early part of tonight has been forecast to be mild.

You seem to think that it's impossible for temperatures to fall rapidly within a short space of time. I can tell you that it's very possible (even in Ireland).

I have not (as you seem to think) been quoting temps from around the country, neither have I quoted anywhere that I don't think temps can rapidly drop - they can and at time have, however I said I can't see it happening, based on the current models! Go have a look at the uppers on all the models going from t0 - t24hrs and the biggest difference for the majority of the country (excl NI) is going from 0 to -4/-6 (uppers). SO marginal at best for most! I'm not ruling the possibility out, as it certainly exists, but I think Sat/Sun offer better realistic chances!

Trust me I'd love to be proved wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hendrix75 wrote: »
    Has there been a shift the other way? Say 8C to -8C in a short time? I only ever remember the rise when rain and wind come in from the west after a cold spell.
    I think it happened during the eighty's smilier to now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Its all nowcast from here on in, good luck to everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Absolutely lashing rain here with strong winds. Seriously lashing. If anyone is getting this as snow tomorrow they are in for a bit of a whiteout.

Where's here? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

EICK 171700Z 1718/1818 14018G28KT 9999 -RA SCT001 BKN002 BECMG 1718/1719 3000 TEMPO 1718/1801 0500 FG RADZ BKN001 OVC003 BECMG 1722/1724 20015KT BECMG 1801/1804 29015KT BECMG 1806/1809 9999 BKN020 BECMG 1810/1812 27010KT

Beautiful night in Cork :( ! Moderate rain and gusts up to 37knots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I found this on NW a few mins ago, some of yiz may have seen it as I know most of us go there to see what they're saying. Its a GFS +144 from Jan 11th which is today - absolutely abysmal :) and lets hope it stays that way!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=154978

sdeire wrote: »
    Where's here? ;)

Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

pad199207 wrote: »
    Its all nowcast from here on in, good luck to everyone! :D

Indeed... precip moving eastwards and intensifying and cold air encroaching westwards with temps and DPs falling already. Exciting times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Lashing rain here and very windy and feels very mild .... Looking like a no snow show in arklow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Couple of weeks ago and we would of had a storm thread for this , winds howling outside , the house shook from the last gust !

now down to 6C, that's half a degree in under an hour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Am in very North Meath/Cavan/Monaghan border - wind is serious at the min - temps definitely dropping and the animals VERY quiet - something defo approaching - the howl of the wind is awesome - however my bokkeddy fence that I meant to replace for years gonna fall tonight .... I'm sure of this ...!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villain wrote: »
    The wind data is all they want and that is working, there is another station up there I'll try find data link

http://www.reachbroadband.com/weather/ thats the station on the backstairs that is working, data is also on www.Irelandsweather.com mesomap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Currently 4 degrees in bray, weather apps back the falling temps, expected to hit 0 bu 8 am,snow mixed with rain expected from 5am and snow then from 8am. As per 2 weather apps . Currently raining as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Where's here? ;)
    Waterford.

Cheers. On a sly note - just thought I'd repost this suggestion I made a couple of years ago here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69599754
    Just a quick request.

If you're going to be making a lot of posts about the snow, and where it's falling or "pelting down here", "not a flake where I am" etc...can we please make sure to put your location into your profile or post it in each reply!

To put it in your profile, got to the top left of the page, click "User CP" and then "Edit your details" and save.

(Mods if this is out of place, delete as appropriate smile.png )

[/backseatmodding]

..not for a second intending to barge in and make demands, (though I'm a long-time daily lurker here, but never post too much in the weather forum. I leave that to the more knowledgeable) - but it is fairly handy to see where a comment is being made from when watching progress.

41 pages since this morning with not a single snowflake yet seen. This would have never happened on here before 2009/2010. :pac: Those winters created a lot of snow fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Absolutely lashing rain here with strong winds. Seriously lashing. .

Ditto here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

11c in Kerry, I know thats not Ulster but its still 7c in Cavan, no sign of a pivot yet, any chance the front could proceed northeast without pulling across cold air on the north flank of the LP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Currently 5.9 deg in Dalkey, some insane gusts of wind (im 300 metres from the coast) must have topped 70-80 km/h. Moderate rain now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement