Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Tis lashing here and windy too. Just imagining this falling as snow.......................good times:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Jesus look at that :eek:
    Capture.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Strong southerly airflow today and tonight is introducing a very mean boundary layer. The uppers tomorrow will just not be cold enough to overcome this boundary layer.

Theta-e shows a warm sector developing over most of the island tomorrow evening. We'd need around 10 °C or less for snow to low levels. We're nowhere near it.

Su Campu not so confident on NetWeather :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Pretty windy but still dry here in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I found this on NW a few mins ago, some of yiz may have seen it as I know most of us go there to see what they're saying. Its a GFS +144 from Jan 11th which is today - absolutely abysmal :) and lets hope it stays that way!

penetration.jpg

Great penetration in that airflow! Looking forward to seeing that build pressure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

While I'm not discounting the possibility of him being right, he was majorly wrong in 2010 - he kept predicting rain and then it would snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Deank wrote: »
    Capture.PNG

It looks like somebody's nuked Limerick.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

He rarely is. No disrespect to him at all, but he's a downramper.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Are we sure there's snow due. Only rain on my app.see screen grab

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This may be a novice question but with all the rain would that hugely effect the chance of snow sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's just articulated what I was wondering about above, and answered it. I miss him

Few red faces standing on green grass tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

griffinlee wrote: »
    Are we sure there's snow due. Only rain on my app.see screen grab

as far as 1st posts goes, this has to be one of the best! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

rc28 wrote: »
    While I'm not discounting the possibility of him being right, he was majorly wrong in 2010 - he kept predicting rain and then it would snow!

Historically an anti-ramper! :p

4.8c here now. Baby steps...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It looks like somebody's nuked Limerick.... :D

We'd never get that lu.....

Never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Deank wrote: »

Sweet mother of Jehovah that's a shítload of rain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This may be a novice question but with all the rain would that hugely effect the chance of snow sticking

Once you get enough of it falling, it cools all the lying/surface water sufficiently to allow it stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Historically an anti-ramper! :p

4.8c here now. Baby steps...

I know you are somewhat inland but that's a pretty good starting point...if the colder temps and dew points make a decent entrance later on a wintry mix is quite possible towards dawn..5.9 here on the coast btw

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Actually excited to see what happens now. This winter up until this point has been way too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

41 pages since this morning with not a single snowflake yet seen. This would have never happened on here before 2009/2010. :pac: Those winters created a lot of snow fans.

I have snow reports on my twitter feed. Seems to be in and around N.Antrim so far. I am patiently waiting for my strong winds and mizzely rain to become a beautiful blizzard. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

If the dew point falls to freezing or below snow will stick to wet ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

sky news just showd lots of snow on the TV just there. Hope they are right, praying their right but Im just not sure. Just put the dog out and its not looking hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 Buoy at 2300: temp 6.7, DP 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well I think its quite possible that even in places that do see falling snow tomorrow, it could well turn back to rain again after that. At low levels anyway. So I wouldn't be expecting to build a snowman unless you live in Ulster or border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Rougies wrote: »
    It says it right there on your screen!!!! "RAIN TO SNOW"
    Are you serious?

I want the truth

I just don't think people can handle the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well I think its quite possible that even in places that do see falling snow tomorrow, it could well turn back to rain again after that. At low levels anyway. So I wouldn't be expecting to build a snowman unless you live in Ulster or border countries.
    Not expecting snowmen, just want a lil bit of the white stuff, still 4 degrees in bray atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

1P3ee

from www.raintoday.co.uk. Pay them and it distinguishes between rain and sleet/hail/snow; but I'm too cheap for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Yes, unless the ground temperature is 0*C or below.

I remember when I was a kid in the 90s, it was snowing one night but it rained for about an hour beforehand, so I plugged in the hairdryer to a socket near my back door and tried to dry the patio in my back garden. After a while, I noticed to ground was getting hot and the snow was melting faster as it hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

LIKE A BOSS!\

Dan Evans
    @swanseadan
    Just driving home down the M4. #uksnow #snowpanic http://twitpic.com/bw27a7

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2J3MjdhNy5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=_U15AemZ-408LrxSMjT-f2EnQsUj7paC8V0nklcEnKs

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

compsys wrote: »
    No offence but you obviously don't know much about weather.

The temperature now has nothing to do with how things are forecast to pan out on Friday so I don't know why you keep quoting the current temps around the country and stating that it means it's too warm for snow tomorrow.

Temperatures are due to fall rapidly as the night progresses. The early part of tonight has been forecast to be mild.

You seem to think that it's impossible for temperatures to fall rapidly within a short space of time. I can tell you that it's very possible (even in Ireland).

Totally agree, they can swing dramatically in both directions. Remember the explosive thaw in 2010. They was a 20 deg+ warming in the space of 24 hrs.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sdeire wrote: »
    Sweet mother of Jehovah that's a shítload of rain.

A few degrees colder on all fronts we'd be buried in snow come morning, wishful thinking though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement