Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Rain is only spitting here in Naas, but it's blustery.. air is heavy with expectation.. or perhaps I'm just projecting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4.6c DP 3.9c here now. Rain lighter but the wind is picking up further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

On irelandsweather.com, you can see the difference height makes, I am about 6 miles away from the station in Kilkenny city but about 150 metres higher.
    In Kilkenny city it is 7.6C at the moment, while here on the hills its 6.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gerry Murphy on RTE 1 now, some sleet and possible snow on hills tomorrow. No mention of excessive accumulations at lower levels that some on here are forecasting. Of course, he could be wrong.

The border counties might get some accumulations at low levels though but I wouldn't expect much away from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

How many times does it have to be said that snow in the UK would help our cause?

UK is a different climate (even from N to S and E to W of UK have different microclimates)... when parts of the UK get 30C in the summers it doesn't help our 'cause', equally although it would increase our odds of pulling in colder air if the UK became deeply entrenched in cold, that's all it would do - increase our odds! That's like saying If Germany or France are deeply entrenched in cold England would be onto a sure thing for cold, but as we know Germany and France often have deep cold pools whilst the UK sits under the influence of a mild altantic airmass!

So in principle a colder UK helps a bit, but like we saw in Feb 2012 the UK got covered whilst we remained mild!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Interesting because we find something interesting the same way you find sexy Asian ladies interesting...

run along now ;)

I find all ladies interesting and I bet that you put stones in your snow balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

raining nonstop, i can safely say since 10am wednesday morning. its blowing a full gale outside and has been since around 5pm. if only it was a blizzard.:eek:

dexter647 wrote: »
    Sorry but i really think it will be flooding and not snow we will be talking about here 2mor...Bucketing down here atm:(

There will be a lot of surface water and in places where rain might turn to snow it will only make driving conditions even worse. A bad day to be on the roads tomorrow up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

hawkwing wrote: »
    bit of a downgrade by met a few mins ago :

17 January 2013 23:20

Today

Rain will be widespread overnight and heavy in places, but will clear the south and west before dawn. The rain will turn to sleet or snow on higher ground across northern counties accompanied by strong southeast winds low cloud and mist. Lowest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees.

Tomorrow

Rain and sleet will become confined to Ulster and northern parts of Connaught and north Leinster during Friday, while other areas will become brighter with scattered showers in the west. Winds will slacken in most areas but staying strong southeast across northern counties for much of the day. Highest temperatures will range from 4 degrees in Ulster to 9 or 10 degrees in the southwest.

Outlook

Saturday night will be dry and calm but very cold with a widespread sharp to severe air and ground frost with the risk of freezing fog and icy patches. Sunday will be bright and mostly dry but very cold with frost and fog lingering in some inland and northern areas. Rain will spread in from the southwest during Sunday night accompanied by fresh southeast winds, and the rain will turn to sleet or snow over the midlands north and east - especially over high ground. Monday will be a cold mostly cloudy day with occasional wintry showers of hail or sleet with a continuing risk of snow over high ground. After a sharp night frost, Tuesday will be cold again with scattered wintry showers - these mainly near coasts, but many places will remain dry. Then more rain will spread countrywide from the west on Wednesday night, introducing somewhat less cold conditions for the latter part of the week, but it will remain changeable and unsettled.

Oh well there goes cork and Waterford chances! After such a fine start to the day a downgrade to finish it off! Still I suppose there is time for an upgrade..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

6c in east coast near Glenarm. The temp has gone up- Must be some massive cooling coming up overnight. With the rain that fell would worry about ice more than snow. We got hammered with rain today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Radio 1 2355 forecast: "rain and sleet will become confined to Northern counties later on Friday".

Trogdor wrote: »
    Doesn't look like the dewpoints on the NAE will be matching reports at midnight..
    236797.gif

Just had a look at the 11pm reports and the 12am chart there. Most seem to be the same or within a degree?

Radio 1 2355 forecast: "rain and sleet will become confined to Northern counties later on Friday".

Anything longer range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It has gone from the battle of the weather models to the battle of the met offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Anything longer range?

Showers, then severe frosts Saturday night. Nothing after that.

I think only mid ulster and inland areas are going to see any snow. Sleet, rain everywhere else.

The temp keeps rising,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Right predicted for 1am the BBC has a large area of snow over the East and North falling. Cant see that happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Can't take it anymore I'm off :)

pad199207 wrote: »
    Right predicted for 1am the BBC has a large area of snow over the East and North falling. Cant see that happening!

1am? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

WARNING AMENDED/UPGRADED

Yellow, Amber and Red warnings for HEAVY SNOW/ICE, LOW TEMPERATURES & HIGH WINDS have been issued for Northern Ireland. These cover Friday and into Saturday

Heavy Snow, Ice & Low Temperatures & High Winds (Yellow Warning)

Rain is now starting to affect some areas this will turn quickly to sleet and then snow after midnight firstly across Co Antrim and Down. Snow is expected at all levels across the Country during Friday and overnight into Saturday, 5 – 10 cm is possible within the Yellow warning area. Blizzard conditions may occur in some areas especially high ground due to high winds of up to 40 - 50 mph

Heavy Snow, Ice & Low Temperatures & High Winds (Amber Warning, this has been extended to include more parts of the country)

Again heavy & Disruptive snow will affect the areas highlighted Amber, it is here that we can expect up to 15 cm of snow, with drifting and blizzard conditions also possible

Heavy Snow & High Winds (Red Warning)

A RED warning has been issued for some areas within the areas highlighted RED accumulations of snow could be up to 20cm or more locally and possibility up to 30cm/1 foot over high ground

We cannot stress this enough – Please take extreme care and you are advised to avoid travel if possible

TRAVEL DISRUPTION IS LIKELY

Disruption on Roads is expected especially over high level routes were the highest amounts of snow is likely.

Disruption to Air travel is possible please check with your Airline and Airports for information.

We are expecting some Schools to be closed, please contact schools directly for information.

If you must drive
    • Don’t attempt to overtake
    • slow down – it can take 10 times longer to stop
    • allow extra room
    • Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin
    • Avoid harsh braking and acceleration
    • If you skid, ease off accelerator and avoid braking

Other Advice
    • Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be more vulnerable to cold weather. Cold weather is especially dangerous for older people or people with serious illnesses, so check up on them if you can. Read how to spot and treat hypothermia.
    • People with heart or respiratory (breathing) problems may have worse symptoms during a cold spell and for several days after temperatures return to normal.
    • You can find more information and advice on staying healthy in periods of cold weather in Winter health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

4.8c here DP 3c. Rain with strong winds.

Dan :)

now 4.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just had a look at the 11pm reports and the 12am chart there. Most seem to be the same or within a degree?

The stations down the Eastern side of the country seem a degree or two too high i thought, Dublin airport and casement certainly not near the predicted 2C yet

5.1c here- Sea level and strong winds coming in off Irish sea keeping temp up.

424111_405041392909531_1144973144_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Oh well there goes cork and Waterford chances! After such a fine start to the day a downgrade to finish it off! Still I suppose there is time for an upgrade..

There is indeed and we all know ME's record for flip flopping between cold and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible weather in Galway non stop very heavy rain since 5pm yesterday, very mild current temp 9.3 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Unfortunately, since about 11pm or so, the M1 Drogheda and Dunleer NRA stations have reported an increase in air temperature of about half a degree each... http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp

Trogdor wrote: »
    The stations down the Eastern side of the country seem a degree or two too high i thought, Dublin airport and casement certainly not near the predicted 2C yet

Pheonix Park was 2.8 at 11pm, but yeah some places like Casement were a bit higher. Will be interesting to see from 6am on.

• Advertisement

There is indeed and we all know ME's record for flip flopping between cold and warm.

We need that colder air from the east to filter across prior to Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement