Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Midnight buoy M2: temp 6.6, DP 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Time for a cuppa tea and an "early" night. Will be interesting to see the reports/drama(!) in the morning. ;)

Hopefully I won't be flooded out of it here by then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Even the forecasters don't have a clue on BBC. They won't dare go to saturday. They had no problem before, just shows how they don't have a clue what is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

Yeh they are wise, i think they are waiting to see what tomorrow morning brings, they have given ample warning and if it rains tomorrow then thats the theme for the next few days, if it snows then there may be more to come...usual stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Dp is close to what NAE forecast for here at 3c and slowly dropping.

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Hendrix75 wrote: »
    424111_405041392909531_1144973144_n.jpg

How awesome is it to be me right now? Situated right under that big red circle to the left :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still 8.5c in Sligo.

We will be lucky to get sleet at all from this

If phoenix park was 3c it is now 5c.

Id say that the Republic will be just washed out and maybe tomorrow night and Saturday morning will see some snow in Ulster and maybe North Leinster.

All just guessing though and Atlantic is winning the battle but hopefully not the war.

Im a negative soul though so listen to MTC and others who are more upbeat on the snow.

How awesome is it to be me right now? Situated right under that big red circle to the left :P

Gah I notice that Sligo is missed my mere kms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

NAE had it for about 5C DP here but currently 4.3C dew point.
    Temperature now at 5.8C.

I won't be getting snow but it is interesting watching the temperature fall. A fall of 0.3 since midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Min wrote: »
    NAE had it for about 5C DP here but currently 4.3C dew point.
    Temperature now at 5.8C.

I won't be getting snow but it is interesting watching the temperature fall. A fall of 0.3 since midnight.

4.0C here, and was predicted 2C at midnight, something doesn't seem quite right at a few stations but we shall see in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Trogdor wrote: »
    5.6C/4.0C here, and was predicted 5C/2C at midnight, something doesn't seem quite right at a few stations but we shall see in the morning!

It must be pasting snow on higher ground.Iif only i was there...damn:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Storm has really ramped up in the last hour or so.Average Wind speed 42km/h with a Max gust so far of 68km/h. Is these parts this is a proper wind event. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

steady at about 5.4c in Arklow
    Dp 4.6c

light rain

Temps on the coast in pembrokeshire at the other side of the Irish sea are only a degree colder so far,so it will be a while before anything filters through but it's interesting that the Irish sea's modification is about one degree in this strong wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Kippure wrote: »
    It must be pasting snow on higher ground. if only i was there...damn:rolleyes:

I still don't think the DPs and temp are low enough even for snow in the Wicklow Mountains. Hopefully another 6 hours will see a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

METAR EIDW 180030Z 14024G35KT 9999 -RA FEW008 BKN012 BKN018 05/03 Q1000 NOSIG
    TAF EIDW 172121Z 1721/1818 13022G33KT 8000 -DZ SCT004 BKN010 TEMPO 1722/1817 4000 RA BKN004 PROB40 TEMPO 1805/1817 RASN BECMG 1816/1818 9999 BKN020

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EIDW

Translation for the uninitiated:
    Time: 00:44 (00:44 UTC)
    Current weather observation
    The report was made 14 minutes ago, at 00:30 UTC
    Wind 24 kt from southeast with gusts up to 35 kt
    Temperature 5°C
    Humidity 87%
    Pressure 1000 hPa
    Visibility 10 km or more
    Few clouds at a height of 800 ft
    Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft
    Broken clouds at a height of 1800 ft
    light rain

Change units

Forecast
    The report was made 3 hours and 8 minutes ago, at 21:36 UTC
    Forecast valid from 17 at 21 UTC to 18 at 18 UTC
    Wind 22 kt from southeast with gusts up to 33 kt
    Visibility 8000 m
    Scattered clouds at a height of 400 ft
    Broken clouds at a height of 1000 ft
    light drizzle
    Temporary
    from 17 at 22 UTC to 18 at 17 UTC
    Visibility 4000 m
    Broken clouds at a height of 400 ft
    rain
    Probability 40% :
    Temporary
    from 18 at 05 UTC to 18 at 17 UTC
    rain snow
    Becoming
    from 18 at 16 UTC to 18 at 18 UTC
    Visibility 10 km or more
    Broken clouds at a height of 2000 ft

Ah no just looked at ME and they have rain with snow on higher ground in Ulster. This was prob discussed earlier in the thread but I just seen it now and its made me sign off and go to bed. Surely they can predict a day in advance cant they. Also still 8c here so fcuk that.

GFS looks mild too.

Another dip in the coaster.

Until tomorrow folks.

Blizzards predicted to floods on the next run.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I still don't think the DPs and temp are low enough even for snow in the Wicklow Mountains. Hopefully another 6 hours will see a big change.

In 6 hours time some people are going to have fun getting through sallys gap, killikee road, and old miltiary road in to laragh. Always the best places for snow.

Ive seen those excate tempurtures before at sealevel and higher ground in dublin wicklow getting snow, its just something ive seen from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I'm near enough Arklow myself. When I drove home about an hour ago it was 6c.
    It's still pumping rain and windy.
    Can't "Smell" snow in the air yet.

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Well at 3,000 feet it would be snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im off myself but Il leave you with this from MT earlier on
    Remember the Greenland Express? This will be more like the Scotland Slow Train stopping at all stations, but it has set out on its journey and the first stop is Ulster east, then Ulster west, then north Connacht then on to Dublin.

Pack a lunch or two because it won't be going a lot faster than walking pace, but I do think it will call just about everywhere before it reaches Cork on Monday.

Put into forecasting terms, this looks like being a gradual north to south replacement of mild Atlantic air now present by snow-chilled air masses seeping into the increasingly easterly circulation from a much colder Britain. The process starts late Friday night when tonight's frontal system stalls and gets pulled back into low pressure near Donegal. That should place most of Ulster in the colder variety of air masses near -1 C with sleet changing to snow, and there could be heavy falls on higher terrain. Expect 5-10 cm in places but 15-25 cm on some hills in the north by late Saturday.

The seepage continues all day Saturday placing parts of inland Connacht and north Leinster on the cold side of a frontal boundary but also the air mass to the south of the boundary will lose its connection to the milder Atlantic source and will begin to modify itself, with temperatures sinking towards 2 C by late Saturday. That will turn showers in the milder air mass more wintry while snow is pushing south. By late Saturday night the frontal boundary will dissolve and all regions will be getting a roughly equal easterly feed of colder air that will now be modified only by crossing the Irish Sea. I would expect streamers to develop with mixed sleety showers near sea level and heavy snow potential in higher parts of Dublin and Wicklow. If any stronger low pressure does develop in the Atlantic and begins to interact with all of this, heavy snow could develop, but if not, the process will remain gradual with further outbreaks of light snow here and there across the central and eventually southern counties. The last district to fall to this process would probably be west Cork and coastal Kerry and that might take most of Monday to finish up, with the possibility that one or two really mild spots could stay above freezing throughout.

I think that by mid-day Monday about 50-70 per cent of the country will have snow cover with an average depth of perhaps 2-4 cm and some fairly isolated falls of 10-30 cm are possible. The most likely places to see heavy snow would be hills in south Donegal and about halfway up the eastern slopes in Wicklow and south Dublin (around 350m might see the heaviest accumulations). I expect reports to be highly variable simply because there won't be strong organization taking place in this colder pattern. Overnight temperatures could eventually fall to about -7 C (would say -3 C for Dublin at some point mid-week) so today would be the day to get yourself some de-icing materials for both the vehicle (if you park outside, expect some hassles with frozen locks and iced over windscreens) and the pavement around your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

It looks like the weather front bring the Heavy snow has stalled slightly over Southern Ireland and may take alittle longer to reach us, our warnings remain in force and heavy snow is on the way.

All the tops of the wicklow mountains have snow now during the night the snow line will lower and lower and ....

Its a pity all the masts around wicklow and dublin dont have remote weather stations on them,It would paint a real good picture for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Looking at animated imagery over on sat24.com a clearance has reached the SW coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

6 hr rainfall accumulation map up to midnight. Averaging around 10mm over south, midlands and west.

236803.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp down to 5.5 here now, dew point 4.4. Down from a high of 8.3 earlier.

I am under dublin sea level right on coast in N Ire so if I see snow will let you guys know! (All I see at minute is foam and a dead jellyfish at beach when tide went out)

Kippure wrote: »
    All the tops of the wicklow mountains have snow now during the night the snow line will lower and lower and ....

Its a pity all the masts around wicklow and dublin dont have remote weather stations on them,It would paint a real good picture for us

Indeed, it is a pity and would be good.

I am off to bed now, just waited to see how much the temperature would fall from midnight to 1am, here it went from 6.1C to 5.6C.

Should be interesting later today seeing the snow reports, or sleet reports...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Cannot get over this snow talk!!! I am in carlow and the rain and wind here is horrific!!!! I am expecting to wake floods and not a "sniff" of snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah, at 3,000(Lug), it will be snow. Just trying to establish at road level (circa 1500 feet).

Generally I find that DP has to be 2 or less when leaving Ashford for the precipitation to be snow in the gap. Hopefully, I will report back tomorrow on large snow accumulations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement