Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Very odd looking on the Met Eireann , on the interative 5 day forcast if you change it to temperature and go to monday night and tuesday it shows the atlantic and the irish sea at 6 or 7 degrees but all ireland at -4 or more ?

I know its a good few days off and it will change as we get closer , but is thats not normal surely is it to have all the atlantic and irish sea at 7 degrees and everwhere on land -4 , its a massive difference in such a small area of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

racso1975 wrote: »
    Cannot get over this snow talk!!! I am in carlow and the rain and wind here is horrific!!!! I am expecting to wake floods and not a "sniff" of snow

Thats because the only snow forecast is for the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

racso1975 wrote: »
    Cannot get over this snow talk!!! I am in carlow and the rain and wind here is horrific!!!! I am expecting to wake floods and not a "sniff" of snow

I know we had mad rain here today - Went every direction with the the wind.
    I take it you had gale force winds and heavy rain rain as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Absolutely wild in Dublin 13, we are getting a right lashing of the wind and the rain.
    I know the temperatures are dropping, but it really feels like the scenario for snow is in breakdown mode and we'll just get cold rain and a lot of muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I know it won't snow in low lying parts of the south but how high would you actually have to be ASL for the rain to fall as snow?

• Advertisement

Imagine if today was all snow and blizzards. If only with that vicious day. Would have been amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 buoy at 1.00am: temp 6.5, DP 2.6.

The DP was 2.1 at midnight. Hmm....... Not good?

For those interested, the buoy reports update at around 16 minutes past the hour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Currently in Drogheda it's lashing rain but it feels very cold. Temp is 5 degrees

Early days yet for the SE. Dont give up hope. :)

Charts look good for se and east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Very odd looking on the Met Eireann , on the interative 5 day forcast if you change it to temperature and go to monday night and tuesday it shows the atlantic and the irish sea at 6 or 7 degrees but all ireland at -4 or more ?

I know its a good few days off and it will change as we get closer , but is thats not normal surely is it to have all the atlantic and irish sea at 7 degrees and everwhere on land -4 , its a massive difference in such a small area of land.

Not at all. Temps reached -15c a couple of years ago with similar, if not slightly warmer sea temps.

Land cools (and warms) quicker than water so not unusual for temps over central Ireland to drop to below freezing under certain conditions such as clear skies at this time of year while surrounding sea temps remain well above. This also explains why inland areas tend to experience lower winter temps, and higher summer temps, than coastal areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 omegaultimo2

Seriously heavy rain bashing the roof now in wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Started raining here now in Dundalk.

Should the the DP rise at the M2 buoy off Howth Head (2.1 to 2.6 between midnight and 1am) be of concern I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Horrible wet night with squally strong wind here in Monaghan. Time to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Absolutely wild in Dublin 13, we are getting a right lashing of the wind and the rain.
    I know the temperatures are dropping, but it really feels like the scenario for snow is in breakdown mode and we'll just get cold rain and a lot of muck.
    absolutely wild alright , a real battle between the Baltic and the Atlantic going on - a meteorological Stalingrad :D I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Have a look at this I don't no how good it is. It's an app

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Wild here in wexford!Rain lashing off the windows and wind is howling :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Guys have a look at the latest,kind of conflicts with the NIW update
    http://irelandsweather.com/weather-warning/snow-risk-2/

Weathering wrote: »
    Guys have a look at the latest,kind of conflicts with the NIW update
    http://irelandsweather.com/weather-warning/snow-risk-2/

I don't trust anyone posting warnings. If BBC (met office) can't get it right in 24 hours I don't believe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm in work watching camera's and it's rain everywhere. I'll post if I see snow anywhere.

If it snows in Dublin, hopefully it isnt too bad until about 6:30, give me a chance to drive home first :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

M2 buoy at 1.00am: temp 6.5, DP 2.6.

The DP was 2.1 at midnight. Hmm....... Not good?

For those interested, the buoy reports update at around 16 minutes past the hour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Temperature didnt go up only relative humidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

4.1C here. DP 2C.

Temp drop seems to be gathering pace here- wind chill is -1c. Heavy rain bashing against the windows and winds still strong to very strong.

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Cant sleep with the wind and rain, so an update.
    Here the temperature fell by 1.1C in an hour to 4.5c with a dewpoint of 2.8c.

South Dublin has lower temp than east coast of Northern Ire. 5.1C still here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Dun Laoghaire pier has dropped from 6.3 to 4.5 in an hour, 12.0mm of rain, wind 44.8 kts

dacogawa wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire peer has dropped from 6.3 to 4.5 in an hour, 12.0mm of rain, wind 44.8 kts

That is a class drop of temp!

Balkill Road - Howth now down to 3.6°C dropped 0.1 in the last 5 mins, was nearing getting some sleep but I think I'll wait till these pan out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

M2 DP back down to 2.3.

No snow for Dublin imminent anyway, that's for sure. Simply not cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

dacogawa wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire pier has dropped from 6.3 to 4.5 in an hour, 12.0mm of rain, wind 44.8 kts
    The wind is something else here in Bkackrock too!!

The wind is something else here in Bkackrock too!!

I'm just down the road & it's crazy wind here, the trees are bending outside :eek:

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    M2 DP back down to 2.3.

No snow for Dublin imminent anyway, that's for sure. Simply not cold enough.

Yeah, I think you're right, think I'll knock it on the head till 7 or so.

Here's the links to Howth (3.5°C now) & Dun Laoghaire if anyone wants to keep an eye on them. lets hope for a cold morning!

http://www.islandbawn.com/
    http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement