Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wind has died down a good bit but continuous mod to heavy rain now. A nice mild feeling 7.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

dacogawa wrote: »

I'm just down the road & it's crazy wind here, the trees are bending outside :eek:
    It hasn't been this windy here in a long time. The lamp posts in our development are swaying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The M1 NRA road monitoring sites are quite useful in this situation to see how the inland Ulster counties are going to fare, and indeed north Leinster also. The temperature at Drogheda and Dunleer is on the way down since midnight and is currently 4 degrees, with a dewpoint of 2 degrees at M1 Dunleer. An encouraging sign.

I'm now looking out for any drops in atmospheric pressure across south munster or south leinster. Particularly when the surrounding synoptic stations are recording higher atmospheric pressures. Moorepark in Co. Cork seems to be an example of this at 2am. This is crucial if the front is to undergo pivoting around some point in Ireland and allow more cold air to be dragged in from the east. Right now the typical wind direction ahead of the front is SSE, it needs to be more SE or ESE for a more substantial drop in temperature. The less sea the easterly airflow has to travel, the cooler it will be (more or less).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Pressure has dropped from 1002hpa to 995hpa over last 6 hours.

Dan :)

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Pressure has dropped from 1002hpa to 995hpa over last 6 hours.

Dan :)
    If the wind doesn't die down and the snow arrives in Dublin we will have blizzards at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

This does not make sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Northern Ireland
    Days 1 to 5
    Regional forecast
    Day 1 to 5 UK forecast
    Day 1 to 5 UK forecast
    Day 6 to 30
    Headline:
    Rain turning to snow with risk of blizzards.

Today:
    Wet and windy with prolonged and heavy spells of rain, this will turn to sleet then snow during the day, including lower coastal areas. Worst affected will be around Belfast, the Mourne Mountains and Antrim hills but difficult conditions elsewhere. Maximum Temperature 3 °C.

Tonight:
    Snow will continue overnight with further heavy falls and coupled with strong winds there will be drifting and perhaps even blizzard conditions. Travel will be treacherous. Minimum Temperature -2 °C.

Saturday:
    Snow showers will continue, especially across the east of the Province where it will remain windy. Western parts, such as Enniskillen may see some drier and brighter spells. Maximum Temperature 3 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:
    Remaining very cold with further showers or rain, sleet and snow. Showers perhaps prolonged at times coupled with strong, mainly easterly winds.

Issued at: 0400 on Fri 18 Jan 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temp 3.5c here now.

Not expecting transition until near 9-12am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

GFS 0H looking a little better short term & much better at 48/54

gfs-1-54.png?0

Temp in Drogheda at the mo is 3 degrees. Getting there slowly but surely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

According to the NRA air temp at Bundoran is just under 4c at 3.20 at 1.20 it was 6c so bit of a drop...it's still lashing here hopefully will turn to snow soon :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well I'd just turned off the computer to go to bed and had a last look out the window and its snowing here after some heavy rain, its 2.4 C.

I had to switch on and tell ye:) and its not feckin schleet either!

NAE 0z very good, but highlights a period between 9pm and 6am where a slight buckle of milder uppers from the low centre nudging north for a time, this will push the snow line north by ~30miles this evening before receding back south during Sat AM.

weather in Drogheda at the min is wet snow ie melts as soon as it hits the windscreen. But at least it's wet snow and not just rain maybe it's getting cold enough for snow

NAE 0z very good, but highlights a period between 9pm and 6am where a slight buckle of milder uppers from the low centre nudging north for a time, this will push the snow line north by ~30miles this evening before receding back south during Sat AM.

Rain turning sleety in Donegal now. Would that 30miles have an impact in central eastern donegal?

Weathering wrote: »
    Rain turning sleety in Donegal now. Would that 30miles have an impact in central eastern donegal?
    No, more of an effect along the east coast. ;)

Thanks. Hopefully all of Ireland gets a dusting over the weekend.
    With the met office latest fc update for NI,I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern areas had their warning upgraded to red

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well its starting to happen folks, good luck and goodnight.

It's crazy they mention snow even to low lying coastal districts with possible blizzards and drifting while met Eireann give rain and sleet with snow over high ground. I check both forecasts the whole time as I'm close to the border and I haven't seen such a different set up from both in quite some time. Interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Weathering wrote: »
    It's crazy they mention snow even to low lying coastal districts with possible blizzards and drifting while met Eireann give rain and sleet with snow over high ground. I check both forecasts the whole time as I'm close to the border and I haven't seen such a different set up from both in quite some time. Interesting

Am also on the border and having been following the charts(albeit as a novice:o)I can't reconcile the charts on here and Met IE's forecasts:confused:

• Advertisement

weather in Drogheda at the min is wet snow ie melts as soon as it hits the windscreen. But at least it's wet snow and not just rain maybe it's getting cold enough for snow

Hopefully Dublin will get a dusting before morning . Would be a nice surprise after the howling wind waking me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Temp slowly struggling south, but nonetheless quite chilly considering the strength of the southeasterly and distance from the coast.

Temp now 3.2c.

Due to the strong winds out here a fallen tree had hit overhead power lines at Dalkey Dart Station so Darts only running to Dun Laoghaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

UK and GEM output is slight upgrade of snow potential but I had factored in a slight upgrade trend when I made earlier forecast comments so looking on track (models are reacting to snow cover feedback into lower level reports).

UK model has very conducive downward slide in 850 temps and well positioned low in stalled trough, GEM looks to be following that tendency with less resolution as I have come to expect when large scale is similar.

GFS has probably lost the plot in the near term but is not vastly different.

GME was looking in the ballpark also.

Therefore would say expect rain to change to sleet and snow overnight mainly north of a Drogheda to Westport line (elevation issues will cause this to be approximate) and parts of Ulster could be seeing 5-15 cm snowfalls through the day. This will slowly mix through a sleety transition further south Friday night and then by Saturday the heavier accumulating snow could begin to show up more from Dublin to Galway with the northern areas seeing less intense snowfall rates. This will pivot around as the meso-scale low drifts south. Think that east coast Dublin to Wicklow will see sleet with accumulating snows back up the hills about 150m but that snow line could drift down closer to sea level through Saturday night. Sunday has more of a streamer effect basis for snow. Will update further after ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This is my first time on this forum and I have to say there a lot of expert weather forecasters here. Is Ireland predisposed to having many armchair weather forecasters or are there a lot of actual meteorologists here?

My 2 cents are its pretty calm here in the Mid West ATM but it was raining solid all evening and night so if you're getting up for work now be very careful because there's a lot of surface water on our roads.

Drive safe folks.

by some rough calculations, i suspect snow could be falling by Dublin rush hour in parts, from 730/8...

latest report from lough mourne in donegal. Elevation just above 100m
    04:40 N15 Lough Mourne Light Rainfall 1.1°C 1°C 15 Km/h
    Easterly
    Precipitation
    Humidity92%Precipitation
    Amount5mm
    Road State Temp
    Road Surface1°C5cm Depth4°C30cm DepthN/A
    Other Temps
    Freezing Point0°CDew Point-0°C
    Wind & Visibility
    VisibilityN/AMax Wind Gust24km/

Latest from met.ie
    Today
    Mostly cloudy today with outbreaks of rain across Leinster, Ulster and north Connacht. The rain will be heavy at times with strong southeast winds and will turn increasingly to sleet over Ulster and north Leinster with falls of snow over high ground there
    Tonight
    Further outbreaks of rain and sleet overnight in east Leinster, Ulster and north Connacht. Falls of snow will occur in Ulster and over high ground in the other areas.

Still only FC snow over high ground for today,they change it for tonight tho. Very suspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffee n chocs

Still lashing and very windy here in west Wexford. Yesterday I thought Id be waking up to watch some snow instead I'm hearing loose roof tiles.
    :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement