Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Still lashing and very windy here in west Wexford. Yesterday I thought Id be waking up to watch some snow instead I'm hearing loose roof tiles.
    :(

There was never any mention of snow that far south of the country. Only the north and northeast were expected to see snow.

I'm in the northeast and when the temperature was still 5/6*C at 10 o'clock last night, I knew it wouldn't be cold enough.

Hopefully the weekend will bring some joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Still lashing and very windy here in west Wexford. Yesterday I thought Id be waking up to watch some snow instead I'm hearing loose roof tiles.
    :(

Same here - north east wexford/southeast wicklow border - now back to my warm bed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Here is one from my street from 2010 to cheer us up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met Eireann downgrades again. Snow most likely on that old favourite 'higher ground' and getting less cold during next week. Compare that to this time yesterday morning. The flipping flopping is giving me a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

There was never any mention of snow that far south of the country. Only the north and northeast were expected to see snow.

I'm in the northeast and when the temperature was still 5/6*C at 10 o'clock last night, I knew it wouldn't be cold enough.

Hopefully the weekend will bring some joy.

Don't be so defeatist my friend. It will turn to snow as the day progresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Just a little North of Newry and the rain is extremely heavy. Expecting it to turn later. Think it is a little delayed but expecting quite a lot from the sounds of things. There seems to be general agreement from Met Office Uk and the Beeb up here that it will get hairy. Met office environ blizzards for NI. They don't odten do that. Weathering has this posted in other thread. Here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

It's SNOWING in 05:20 N4 Ballinalack Light Snow 1.5°C 0.9°C 7 Km/h
    Southerly

justy182 wrote: »
    Just a little North of Newry and the rain is extremely heavy. Expecting it to turn later. Think it is a little delayed but expecting quite a lot from the sounds of things. There seems to be general agreement from Met Office Uk and the Beeb up here that it will get hairy. Met office environ blizzards for NI. They don't odten do that. Weathering has this posted in other thread. Here's hoping!

Do we have any idea how far the front will be pushed back south and will it turn to snow as its forced back south before it breaks up?

Either-way: if we get a constant easterly - the east coast will be in for some action id say at least but that could be a day or two before that pattern is established?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Do we have any idea how far the front will be pushed back south and will it turn to snow as its forced back south before it breaks up?

Either-way: if we get a constant easterly - the east coast will be in for some action id say at least but that could be a day or two before that pattern is established?

Hate to put a downer on things but with all this rain we might see some showers of snow but I don't think anything significant will come I hope I'm wrong and eat my words because I'd love there to be loads just can't see it happening !

Need a big change in the next few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

So do we have anyone on high ground in Wicklow that will be able to confirm if the NAE is right about the rain turning to snow there around 6am tomorrow? :P

+0.6c now. Heavy snow. Good covering. Will post more later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Was not expecting the radar this morning, the band has cleared me already!?!?

Weakening further, god I really hope it.intensifies later with the colder air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Drogheda getting colder with lots of rain and wet snow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperature continuing its painstakingly slow fall! Now temp down to 2.8c.

Another 1.8c before we start to see some sneachta (hoping by 9am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Woken up by wind and lashing rain against east coast facing bedroom in Portmarnock. Wind chill currently -9 in Dublin according to accuweather. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

4c here in north leinster and not a flake yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Dalkey 2.8 deg, similar readings all along the Dublin Coast. Doubt it'll get past 2.0 but never say never :)

p.s. As someone mentioned earlier, a tree fell and obstructed the dart line @ dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

In Limerick and Its beginning to look a lot like........... Angela's f***ing ashes. 7.5deg and rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Front weakening further on the 6am update!

Is that meant to happen? Will it even intensify later as it gets colder and pivots/stalls?!?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

arctictree wrote: »
    +0.6c now. Heavy snow. Good covering. Will post more later...

Encouraging! :) 1.4c DP 0.8c here atm. Very cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Driving home in the rain and the rain stopped looking like rain :D

Unfortunatly it only turned to sleet or maybe very light snow. Not enough to stick :(

• Advertisement

thankfully the short term 0z ECM is very good to 72hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

thankfully the short term 0z ECM is very good to 72hrs
    How will Dublin fair in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Flurry of snow in mullingar. Has now ceased.

the switch to snow is not far away for those away from the coast in Dublin, maybe 2 hours.

Temperature continuing its painstakingly slow fall! Now temp down to 2.8c.

Another 1.8c before we start to see some sneachta (hoping by 9am)

Is this a general temp average or location specific? Im a novice by the way so excuse my ignorance. Plus how far south does that prediction for 9 am extend to may i ask?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Morning Guys,

We are getting texts into the radio station saying heavy snow in Roundwood and surrounding areas this morning. I drove from Newcastle in Wicklow to Bray and there was heavy sleet / wet snow on the N11 (Not Wicklow Mountains!!) up to Glen of The Downs and a temp of 2.2 Degrees. We are heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Sleet followed by wet snow for the last half an hour in Kells

Hopefully we will see a bit - am located a few miles south of arklow myself and its still raining

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

anybody have snow yet in the carlow/laois area?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

the switch to snow is not far away for those away from the coast in Dublin, maybe 2 hours.

Oh..I'd love to think so but I would not be that confident!

Heavy snow over a lot of the SW UK atm but rain over west and north Wales. I can't see us quite getting the cold for (any decent) snow down to low levels.

1.6c DP 1.0c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement