Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DP up slightly at the M2 buoy @ 11.00 to +1.9, wind still backing to the east though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Been lashing wet snow here all morning since 7.30. Not sticking outside my house but it is on 3 Rock mountain behind me @ 414m / 1358 ft asl. Just need all this wet to freeze over and we'll be on the pig's back. Bringing the kids to school this morning, there was only rain in Foxrock but back to heavy snow as soon as I came home. Second pic is just a little teaser from 2010

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Well if it's only sleet at Roundwood then low levels simply don't have a hope in hell today.

Patience:p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

snowing again in carrick-on-shannon - don't know if it will stick tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

massive flakes falling now in Longford Town its like candy floss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Got sent this by a friend - snow in Glencullen this morning:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/774694_589588524390866_362527534_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Bit of a light snow flurry with bit of sleet in kilmainham. Not rain at least !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I've been trying my best not to get sucked into the snow hype!!!!

I think I'll lose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

http://news.sky.com/story/1039631/snow-travel-chaos-fears-in-freezing-weather

look at the vid on the right hand side whoevers in the white is getting snow whoevers not is not !!as much as id love some we're just under the white !!How can peole predict it will snow so much when its clear from a reputable news channel

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

more wet snow than sleet falling now in portmarnock on the coast in Dublin..must be turning to snow further inland:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heres a few snaps I took on my aborted attempt to get up to Roundwood earlier.
    This is at around 150 metres I'd guess , above which the snow became too heavy to drive my car through.

236852.JPG

236853.JPG

236854.JPG

236855.JPG

236856.JPG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

18th January 2013

Update: 11:15am. 18th of January.

Heavy snow falls and high winds are producing snow drift effects on higher ground. Military Rd is rapidly becoming impassble.

SDCC are now in the process of closing Military Rd at “The Lookout” (Junction with Cruagh Rd). Traffic travelling between the Kilakee Rd and the Cruagh Rd is not currenlty affected though this could change rapidly as these roads are also becoming icy. Motorists are advised to use/consider alternative commuting routes where appropriate.
    http://www.sdcc.ie/news/weather-alert

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Snowing on coast here. Very strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

was that a joke?
    (the sky news comment?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Lets hope MT fore cast comes to tuition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

precipitation seems to be turning a bit more wintry around Kilmainham area. still light but more snowflakes and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

http://news.sky.com/story/1039631/snow-travel-chaos-fears-in-freezing-weather

look at the vid on the right hand side whoevers in the white is getting snow whoevers not is not !!as much as id love some we're just under the white !!How can peole predict it will snow so much when its clear from a reputable news channel

I think there's a few who'd prefer to be under the red in that video ;)

I don't think it's right anyway as it say's it's been snowing in Dublin since 9am and I'm here and it hasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

ZX7R wrote: »
    Lets hope MT fore cast comes to tuition
    *cough* FRUITION *cough*
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snow on the coast is a very good sign, especially given that the air is being modified by a warm Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    more wet snow than sleet falling now in portmarnock on the coast in Dublin..must be turning to snow further inland:D:D:D

inland Meath just rain atm, no sign of it turning to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A little photoshop and it's next Christmas's Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Looks like a flood alert here in arklow, council going around with sand bags for ppl living near the river and in know flooding hotspots!!!! High tides are at 13:15 and it has rained non stop (almost) since Wednesday :( quiet mild also, if it wasn't raining, it would be a nice summers day ;) lol........ Can't see how we will get snow at all in the nxt few days???

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Light snow fall in Sandyford now. Not going to stick though but interesting all the same.

Not sure where you are in sandyford but where I am it has been constantly heavy snow mixed with sleet all morning. Wind really strong through the valley and a couple of minutes ago enormous snow flakes lashing against the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Not wrote: »
    inland Meath just rain atm, no sign of it turning to anything.

I'm in Meath too, sleeting at the moment but much lighter than earlier. We'll see what happens later.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Just spent the last couple of hours in a winter wonderland, out past Kells, Crossakeel and beyond. It's a white out, it's stuck to everything, trees, posts, signs, wires, gates... Probably 2 inches lying on the roads. Was blizzard conditions at one point.
    Winter tires are awesome !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    *cough* FRUITION *cough*
    :P

TBH, I always though he was just joshin ~

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

rc28 wrote: »
    Snow on the coast is a very good sign, especially given that the air is being modified by a warm Irish sea.

Exactly. But very good sign it is falling as snow here with a strong wind coming in off Irish sea. Cold air must be digging in as it is snow, not sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Out in Bray ATM, intermittent snow, temps have dropped too, looks like heavier falls are on the way too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm so jealous :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Just spent the last couple of hours in a winter wonderland, out past Kells, Crossakeel and beyond. It's a white out, it's stuck to everything, trees, posts, signs, wires, gates... Probably 2 inches lying on the roads. Was blizzard conditions at one point.
    Winter tires are awesome !!

Lucky you, I've been through Kildare, Dublin, and Meath this morning and not seen a flake anywhere !

(other than seeing the Dublin/Wickow mountains plastered from a distance)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement