Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I remember when I was a kid in Dunsany and it was snowing heavily at around 4 degrees celsius several times according to the old outdoor thermometer on the outside front door of the school. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Some more photos from Loughdan in Wicklow earlier this morning.

578444_3638769467383_820193041_n.jpg

536896_3638769587386_2059632664_n.jpg

555425_3638769707389_428341814_n.jpg

150992_3638769867393_1546434798_n.jpg

Just back to Greystones after staying up in Roundwood last night and it was only sleeting/raining up there when I left.

Knowing our luck it will stop later, hope that I am incorrect though. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yes, but :

Snowing here Is a useless post without information. I don't live in PEarse St Dublin and I find it easy to say thats where it is raining, right now.

PEOPLE CAN PUT THERE LOCATIONS IN THE CONTROL PANNEL, IF THEY CHOOSE NOT TO SO BE IT ,

CHECK YOUR TONE A LITTLE PLEASE

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Some more photos from Loughdan in Wicklow earlier this morning.

578444_3638769467383_820193041_n.jpg

536896_3638769587386_2059632664_n.jpg

555425_3638769707389_428341814_n.jpg

150992_3638769867393_1546434798_n.jpg

Just back to Greystones after staying up in Roundwood last night and it was only sleeting/raining up there when I left.

More than two inches of snow lying then? :D I am jealous. :) That thayre white stuff is beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

For all the moaning about forecasts and experts disappearing, i see nothing wrong with MT's forecast for today. It seems pretty spot on to me...

Rain tapering off to drizzle and fog in the east and parts of the northwest, highs near 6 C. Foggy over hills. Rain turning to sleet or snow in parts of Ulster with highs 2-4 C. In all regions winds will tend to decrease from morning levels (SE 40-70 km/hr to 20-40 km/hr by afternoon) with calm conditions by evening so that dense fog may become hazardous for travel. Rain will mix with snow or sleet over much of Ulster and parts of north Leinster, inland north Connacht, and snow accumulations may begin on higher terrain.

TONIGHT ... Snow becoming more widespread north of a Dublin to Galway line and sleet further south could be associated with hill snow above 250m at first, a very cold feeling night in raw, sleety or foggy conditions, some icy roads developing. Falls of 3-7 cm snow can be expected on a hit and miss basis across the northern half of the country. Lows -2 to +2 C but 2-5 C southwest.

Lets see what tonight brings....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Gonzo wrote: »
    the clearance from the southwest is approaching south-meath and Dublin, not sure were gonna have much left to go unless the front stalls?

light sleety drizzle here now.

The system is due to back south west over tonight and tomorrow ,

The cold air is pushing it back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Not wrote: »
    south Meath, was moderate rain with some flakes of sleet mixed in for about the last hour, now almost nothing - just a very light drizzle.
    send that very light drizzle to north meath would ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Anyone know what the dp's are at m2 buoy?

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Easing off and brightening a little now in Ticknock. Nice dusting everywhere and roads perfectly clear. Still falling though! :)

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Easing off and brightening a little now in Ticknock. Nice dusting everywhere and roads perfectly clear. Still falling though! :)

Where's that? Which County? Wicklow? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Sunny in West Cork
    Abd in Waterford so I guess none of this weather is heading our way soon ????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nice to see some people on high ground are getting some proper snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

seamus wrote: »
    Nah, it's still only sleet in Dubln City centre. The balance between rain and snows seems to be getting progressively heavier though, I wouldn't be surprised if it fully turned to snow over the next couple of hours.

Not on the lower levels it wont in Dublin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't bet against it. DP and temps are dropping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

FREETV wrote: »
    Where's that? Which County? Wicklow? :(

Foothills of the Dublin Mountains Hills. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Cherryghost what are our chances in the Athlone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

PPN looks to be intensifying now at the moment and will pbly move back South again. Should turn to snow more readliy through the afternoon.

Did we glue ourselves to the models for over a week for this ??????
    Answer yes, but hopefully it will get colder now today

I've learned yet another lesson today. Follow your own model skills.
    The gfs has been completely spot on so far, saying uppers and thickness did not support it!
    And yes Gerry was RIGHT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Good while since i posted in the forum.
    Our road was flooded this morn which only happens after nearly 2 inches of rain.
    Snowing since before 7 this morn but only stayin on the grass and roof's. Very heavy the past 20 mins or so, near blizzard at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

PPN looks to be intensifying now at the moment and will pbly move back South again. Should turn to snow more readliy through the afternoon.

Did we glue ourselves to the models for over a week for this ??????
    Answer yes, but hopefully it will get colder now today

I've learned yet another lesson today. Follow your own model skills.
    The gfs has been completely spot on so far, saying uppers and thickness did not support it!
    And yes Gerry was RIGHT!!

South east???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Based on what?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ Looking good, still snowing here but it melts when it falls, too light yet. :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Been snowing here all morning, well a mixture of snow and wet snow.
    It's sticking on the grass and cars but not on the road
    Attached is the temps IMBY
    South sligo
    236900.jpg

Has the temperature dropped yet in Dublin? Feels colder in the last while.

I wouldn't bet against it. DP and temps are dropping again.

If lower levels in Dublin are to see lying snow, it be sunday night if we are lucky. But i think it be a non event for us in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Whats suprising in that list, is how low the dew point is at the M6 buoy in the atlantic!
    -0.9, so its probably snowing there.

If lower levels in Dublin are to see lying snow, it be sunday night if we are lucky. But i think it be a non event for us in Dublin.
    It said very cold for Dublin tomorrow in the forecast, probably will snow again tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

FREETV wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ Looking good, still snowing here but it melts when it falls, too light yet. :D:)
    yea they reedited since this morning but they didn't change the time,it is starting to sound more like MT forecast there regional forecast are good also

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I was around east wall around 1pm, the sleet was definitely more sleety than it was when I was coming into work this morning. You could see white stuff falling whereas this morning it just looked like rain.

I have a feeling this front may stall. Good news for snow lovers in the north east.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Based on what?

base on the current conditions, its just not right for the next few days. Will get showers but nothing to be excited about. Sunday there is a better chance but still wouldnt give it more than 50% chance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement