Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

First sign of anything remotely like snow here now.. temp continuing to drop slowly. 1.2c DP1.1 now..coldest so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

3.0C here at the beach in Laytown Co. Meath. 25 knots + howling SE wind. Rain with sleet every now and then, place flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

FREETV wrote: »
    It said very cold for Dublin tomorrow in the forecast, probably will snow again tomorrow. :)

It said the following:

"Very cold tomorrow with showery outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow across the country. Some dry periods also, the best of these in Munster in the morning. Moderate easterly breezes and temperatures ranging from 1 to 3 degrees for many areas, but reaching 5 or 6 in west and south Munster."

Wouldnt hold my breath for anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Snow is on the way! Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Is there more snow forecast for this evening and tonight for Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Snow becoming progressively heavier driven on by strong winds coming in off the Irish sea.

It said the following:

"Very cold tomorrow with showery outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow across the country. Some dry periods also, the best of these in Munster in the morning. Moderate easterly breezes and temperatures ranging from 1 to 3 degrees for many areas, but reaching 5 or 6 in west and south Munster."

Wouldnt hold my breath for anything really.

They are useless at predicting forecasts, remember the last big fall of snow, which they didn't expect. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Charts are showing 1-5cm of snow for the east coast tomorrow afternoon. Probably occuring in showers, so it won't accumulate to any great degree below 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No love for this epic rain and wind today either? I know we're hoping for snow (most of us) but the conditions today seem like they would have gotten plenty of positive attention if there wasn't the promise of white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

MJohnston wrote: »
    No love for this epic rain and wind today either? I know we're hoping for snow (most of us) but the conditions today seem like they would have gotten plenty of positive attention if there wasn't the promise of white stuff.

Wind, I understand, but who would be a fan of epic rain. :pac:

• Advertisement

Epic snow maybe, now that would be exciting. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

If lower levels in Dublin are to see lying snow, it be sunday night if we are lucky. But i think it be a non event for us in Dublin.

Think your right. Dublin will see not much lying snow at all. If any!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

MJohnston wrote: »

Usually we'd be talking about the heavy rain yes, and sometimes somebody says "imagine all this was snow!!" Well this time, it could have been. And for some it is. But for me, I have no love for it at all. It's depressing seeing all that precip go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

This is an elevation based event so far as I see it. The temp in Newry is 0 and there is barely sleet falling now. As you pass through Ravensdale and the M1 motorway through Newry it is a different world. I would say that there is roughly 30 to 50 m in the difference and the place is covered with snow. I think the Met Office UK were a little ore emotive in their warnings for here. The issued a very wide ranging warning when it is clearly very localised thus far. Let's hope thing improve throughout the afternoon and evening and it gets down to lower levels.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

People in the weather forum ;)

Me :o

Not today though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

FREETV wrote: »
    They are useless at predicting forecasts, remember the last big fall of snow, which they didn't expect. :rolleyes:

And remember they have called the last 2 months pretty well too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Strange this strong wind and rain hadn't its own thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

whitebriar wrote: »
    just on tomorrow-Friday
    for the Dublin area,it currently looks like to me,there will be snow,at some point in the day.
    It will turn to rain at times and back to snow again,especially in the city centre and coast.
    Hilly areas inland in the capital,could see a mostly snow event,I'd favour lamb doyles out to Enniskerry and higher for better accumilations.

On in to Meath and Louth,as above only the snow risk is higher in my opinion tomorrow.

I don't see major urban areas in Wicklow getting snow on low ground and expect an all rain event in the south of the county.
    I think the snowline in wexford is likely to be above 800ft.

That's what I think about tomorrow folks,this may change as fresher information comes in.
    I posted this at around 1040 yesterday.,it contained what I thought about specific areas around Dublin.I think it's roughly what happened.
    It's currently snowing properly along parts of the m50 now too.
    I'd agree that there will be a tendency for snow at times into the city centre but more likely goatstown,inland.

The divide is interesting.Once you are inland beyond south Wicklow and obviously when you hit high ground,you rapidly hit snow.
    For example,just west of kilpeder,a couple of miles inland from greystones,there's a couple of inches of snow and it is not high ground,but crucially it is close to it and a lot of commuters live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

snow started in belfast and newtownabbey. Snow also accumulating in parts of mid Co. down.

Here though, it's dull, damp and miserable. Temp dropping so hopeful of snow overnight if the precip comes.

• Advertisement

I think some places will have a much better chance of seeing precipitation falling as snow on Saturday and especially on Sunday, but more in the form of showers. Overnight Sunday/Monday then is still a bit unclear still. From Tuesday then a return to milder weather is looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

whitebriar wrote: »
    I posted this at around 1040 yesterday.,it contained what I thought about specific areas around Dublin.I think it's roughly what happened.
    It's currently snowing properly along parts of the m50 now too.
    I'd agree that there will be a tendency for snow at times into the city centre but more likely goatstown,inland.

The divide is interesting.Once you are inland beyond south Wicklow and obviously when you hit high ground,you rapidly hit snow.
    For example,just west of kilpeder,a couple of miles inland from greystones,there's a couple of inches of snow and it is not high ground,but crucially it is close to it and a lot of commuters live there.

Just rain here and perhaps some sleet. Hopefully with the UK cooling it'll favour in our climate in next 24+hrs...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

At last it's snowing in Drogheda only a light shower but still snowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Turning more to snow now here in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

On my phone its says: 3/0 (h/l) for tomorrow, 3/0, 3,0 and 3/-2 (Tu
    es). This is for
    Greystones. Last night it said that Sunday or Monday would be below zero. B
    ut I can see the temps decreasing if it gets even colder tonight. :s

Feck this, I'm going for a drive to see what the snow line is at the moment in the Dublin mountains. I'll report my findings when I get back. If the snow doesn;t come to me, I'll go to the snow!

Rougies wrote: »
    Feck this, I'm going for a drive to see what the snow line is at the moment in the Dublin mountains. I'll report my findings when I get back. If the snow doesn;t come to me, I'll go to the snow!

Good idea, I hate whenever I miss out on the snow too. :)

Rougies wrote: »

RIP Rougies.

Good luck! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Still bits of rain to. Does anyone no wat the forecast is for later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Snow now settling on the grass and cars in Belfast !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement