Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

What are the charts looking like over the next few days and into next week? Is there any trend for colder conditions or a mild spell again post weekend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rougies wrote: »
    Feck this, I'm going for a drive to see what the snow line is at the moment in the Dublin mountains. I'll report my findings when I get back. If the snow doesn;t come to me, I'll go to the snow!

Can see the snowline here, just about 50m above me - really annoying - all you have to do is go as far as Lamb Doyles and there will be snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

red_bairn wrote: »
    On my phone its says: 3/0 (h/l) for tomorrow, 3/0, 3,0 and 3/-2 (Tu
    es). This is for
    Greystones. Last night it said that Sunday or Monday would be below zero. B
    ut I can see the temps decreasing if it gets even colder tonight. :s
    Those app's are usually highly inaccurate but even more so now with weather models unreliable even past 48hrs.
    Many of the app's feed off an automated copy of the latest gfs output with Zero human input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Driving around Sandyford at around 11:30 this morning it was definitely snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Can see the snowline here, just about 50m above me - really annoying - all you have to do is go as far as Lamb Doyles and there will be snow!

Think Military road is closed , is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Does anyone know if things will intensify this evening and over night in the south Down region/ Newry? What is it looking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

5500 wrote: »
    What are the charts looking like over the next few days and into next week? Is there any trend for colder conditions or a mild spell again post weekend?
    It's forecast to remain fairly cold until midweek at least. Though this has been pushing back and back over the last couple of days so it may stay cold until next weekend. Still a long way out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

Think Military road is closed , is it ?
    yeah it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

On the netweather radar you can see the snow area moving south slowly, also from wales heading more out to the Irish Sea at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Impossible to say at the moment with reasonable certainty.
    A couple of days ago,tuesday and wenesday looked bitter,but this evenings Ecm will probably have us in the mild for then again,knowing our luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Best way to find out the forecast is to look out the window as Meterologists :D haven't got a clue, pelting snow here in the wind. Not sticking so useless. :rolleyes: My friend a few miles away from me in Naul says that it has been snowing since 8 am on and off but hasn't stuck yet unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Rain & sleet changing more to sleet & snow here in laytown. Place still saturated though so can't see it sticking any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Just a note for anyone going exploring, the Ashford road up Devils glen to Roundwood is grand, the snow doesn't start until you get to the top
    http://goo.gl/maps/LyAC0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Sleeting a bit in Whitestown, Cooley, NE Louth but not sticking or anything. Got a phonecall from mum saying that it's snowing very heavily in Omeath, close to the border. She says it's sticking quite well. So jealous of her despite the fact that I'm 10 km from where she is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

t|nt|n wrote: »
    On the netweather radar you can see the snow area moving south slowly, also from wales heading more out to the Irish Sea at the moment

Aye the precip has hit the cold wall, should be moving back onto us later this afternoon before dying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Simon Keelings' view. Hope for the southwest on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

All model ensembles are showing a return to mild, though some are taking longer to get there than others. Maybe midweek, or maybe next weekend.

It's a shame, because for Ireland, this phantom cold spell never got going. To call this an 80s setup is far off the mark unless it translates to real snow, not this brutal stuff, and big feck off icicles hanging off drainpipes, and sleds in the phoenix park and in other towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

And here's some photographic evidence of Dundalk snow! Seems quite hard to capture moving flakes.........

236909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Aye the precip has hit the cold wall, should be moving back onto us later this afternoon before dying out.

Hopefully a violent death :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

And here's some photographic evidence of Dundalk snow! Seems quite hard to capture moving flakes.........

236909.jpg

True, I tried earlier with a cheap 7MP Vivicam to capture heavy snow and it was useless so I couldn't upload a thing. :( That snow is far too light to stick and the place so saturated, it will have to be colder later too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well lets hope the precip has hit the wall in NI and will slide back south.

Not too sure at this point though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow now being reported at Belfast City AP, Aldergrove and Glenane.

Hope the cold undercut moves southwards!

2.0c here atm. More icy rain that sleet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Meteoalarm has just issued snow warnings for Leinster, Ulster and Connacht . Nothing for Munster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Snowing and stickin bad here in corduff monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This is pi$$ing me off rightly now. Been snowing ALL DAY here with everything from wet snow, heavy snow, light snow, blizzards, etc and it just won't stick properly. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

A few miles outside of Armagh here and we've had sleet since early morning, but in the last few hours this has turned into the thick fluffy stuff with a stiff wind blowing. Taking a while to stick but it's now starting to lie on cars and lawns. Sky looks fairly thick with it at the momment and it's supposed to worsen over the next few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wind 142 degrees SE @ Dun Laoghaire
    Wind 129 degrees ESE @ M2 buoy

Hopefully this Easterly wind trend will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Some stronger echoes showing up on the radar now.... there might be some fun on the back edge of this... who gets it is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Meteoalarm has just issued snow warnings for Leinster, Ulster and Connacht . Nothing for Munster though.

Here is the alarm in detail:

""Heavy snow at times in northern counties with danger of accumulations of 5 to 10 cm. some blizard conditions on higher ground."

Nothing new there, Dublin not consider a northern county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Anyone have pictures from kilikee, sallys gap, military road, laragh, glenmure....:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement