Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

There are 2 threads started in the pictures section. Can we post are pictures of our magnificent snow in the pictures threads aswell as they will get lost through out the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Snow/sleet showers in Stepaside now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Monday looks a bit better on the UKMO

UW72-594.GIF?18-16
    UW72-7.GIF?18-16

higher res too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    higher res too?

Too far out for NAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For anyone confused about whether it will turn colder or is this it do the following,

Look at the UKMO '850's and run from 0 to 72hrs
    Guys it hasn't even started yet and the ukmo and gfs are seriously snowy early next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Kippure wrote: »
    There are 2 threads started in the pictures section. Can we post are pictures of our magnificent snow in the pictures threads aswell as they will get lost through out the other threads.

I Pm'd weathercheck to combine the two threads.. so hopefully that gets done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

higher res too?

would be the High res yes, Even as this stage the UKMO and GFS dont agree crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    He was talking about the Sally Gap and yes, there are unreal amounts up there. Driving through 30cm of snow. Would easily be 40+ cm on some summits.

30-40 cm is very average where I'm from....honestly the people going on here about "blizzards" is completely ridiculous....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Finally starting to stick here in Collon. Been heavy sleet all day and ground saturated. But heavy snow this last hour has turned everything white :)

GFS gives Kerry a temp of -14 on Tuesday night

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I Pm'd weathercheck to combine the two threads.. so hopefully that gets done soon.

100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

is there any chance of snow in clare over the next few days would anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Coming down hard again here now, finally starting to stick properly and the good news is it can only get colder from here on in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    is there any chance of snow in clare over the next few days would anyone know?
    my freind clare was in wicklow this morning and got covered :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

GFS and UKMO both good out to Tuesday. Hasn't got further than that yet but anything then will be complete FI anyway.

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

Thats because it thinks there will be snowfields in the southwest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow grains starting to fall here again, the slush/bits of snow on the grass didnt even melt during the 15 minutes of dry weather, very unusal considering how wet everywhere is. Judging from that hopefully anything that falls here from now on will just be snow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

Haha this can only go one way JS!!! Your gut was saying no this morning..how about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Too far out for NAE.

Sorry, I mean the UKMO is higher res than the GFS at that range isnt it?

Haha this can only go one way JS!!! Your gut was saying no this morning..how about now?

Im much more positive now I think we are close to something special
    UKMO is even more wintry

• Advertisement

Sorry, I mean the UKMO is higher res than the GFS at that range isnt it?

Not sure to be honest. Always assumed they were the same resolution being global models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Im much more positive now I think we are close to something special
    UKMO is even more wintry

As a matter of interest is this air coming from the Atlantic still having very cold uppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

thick snow here in county cavan and no electricity for nearly an hour ! (its been snowing non stop since 4am )

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Everything is white now in Belfast. Although its been snowing since lunchtime it only started to stick from about 2.30pm. The snowflakes are quite small so it's taking a bit of time for the snow to build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Very heavy big fluffy flakes being reported from Swords now, not far from the airport. Could the cold air from wales be arriving along the east coast now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No snow here in Dundalk, pretty much rain all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Not sure to be honest. Always assumed they were the same resolution being global models.

UKMO - 25Km Resolution 70 Vertical Levels to 144 Hours
    GFS - 27 km / 64 vertical layers to 192 Hours
    NAE - 12Km Resolution 70 Vertical Levels to 48 Hours

EDIT .. sorry the GFS was upgraded from 35km to 27km a couple years ago, but the UKMO is still slightly higher res.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

drquirky wrote: »
    30-40 cm is very average where I'm from....honestly the people going on here about "blizzards" is completely ridiculous....

Yeah ok, we get it, yours is bigger. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 buoy at 4pm: temp 2.5, DP 1.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Supercell wrote: »
    Just back from Roundwood, big thaw on up there at the moment. Was 90:10 maybe rain snow mix. More snow higher up toward Kilmacanogue along the R755. Doesnt fill me with much (read any) hope down here in Loughlinstown for tonight at least.
    Up by Sally Gap must be unreal amounts.
    Yeah, was going to post when I got home. Flooding will be more an issue for anyone heading up here - a few deep ones. It's trying to snow again now, but still mixed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement