Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

drquirky wrote: »
    30-40 cm is very average where I'm from....honestly the people going on here about "blizzards" is completely ridiculous....

I think you are being a bit unfair tbh. Don't forget New England is located in one of the best areas for potential snow events at temperate latitudes. Large land area all the way to the Arctic with its subsequent huge cooling effect on air masses. Throw in the Great Lakes for moisture generation as an added bonus.

Ireland has little or none of these advantages. (wrong side of European landmass, warming Gulf Stream and its effects on Atlantic moisture etc). So Irish standards of what constitutes a decent snow event will be alot less than for New England.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

My owl has died, turns out the uncontrollable hooting was actually as a result of an illness. He never stood a chance when I let him out to play with my talking dog. I digress, my new budgie reckons we're in for a very cold one. Judging by those charts - I'd imagine you're more likely for snow on the inland areas, and less likely on low lying coastal regions -now Im not a 'weatherman' but I would consider myself a 'weather guru/god.'

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John.Icy wrote: »
    Pending precip moves back in from the sea.

Where are u seeing that in the charts for the precip to come all over Dublin this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Can see the snowline here, just about 50m above me - really annoying - all you have to do is go as far as Lamb Doyles and there will be snow!

Came home to discover lying snow on the grass and cars. All three kids excited and squealing (that includes me!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

If it does snow it won't stick. For the past 50hrs here it has been constant heavy rain with no let up and a very gusty easterly wind. Setting off alarms and knocking over bins non stop.

Once the temp and DP are below zero, it will stick no problem. Problem is getting below 0!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Where are u seeing that in the charts for the precip to come all over Dublin this evening?

Unfortunate phrasing there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Saganist wrote: »
    Snow for Dublin this evening ? Where is the percip going to come from ? That front seems like moving away from the East.

Anyone else unable to get to www.raintoday.co.uk ?

had a lot of trouble getting the charts up takes a while but does start eventually!

Guess they must have a LOT of people watching it......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Rougies wrote: »
    Hmmm, this is what I found on a netweather thread from last January...

UKMO - 25Km Resolution 70 Vertical Levels to 144 Hours
    GFS - 27 km / 64 vertical layers to 192 Hours

Apologies, GFS resolution increased to 27km after a 2011 upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Stopped snowning in Cavan Town but there's more up there judging by the sky (and no its not dark yet :)) Some unbelievable gusts of wind in last while too and getting wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

had a lot of trouble getting the charts up takes a while but does start eventually!

Guess they must have a LOT of people watching it......;)

Alternative : http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

dropped 2.0c in a hour here now !

The colder air filtering through .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Didn't say it would. I said in response to JS that the only way for lots of snow reports from Dublin this evening would be if the precip comes back in off the sea.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 omegaultimo2

If it decides to change that rain into snow in wicklow,can only imagine.Raining all day non stop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

dropped 2.0c in a hour here now !

The colder air filtering through .

What's the temp and dp now PP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

If it decides to change that rain into snow in wicklow,can only imagine.Raining all day non stop

Above about 350 meters, it has been all snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

My owl has died, turns out the uncontrollable hooting was actually as a result of an illness. He never stood a chance when I let him out to play with my talking dog. I digress, my new budgie reckons we're in for a very cold one. Judging by those charts - I'd imagine you're more likely for snow on the inland areas, and less likely on low lying coastal regions -now Im not a 'weatherman' but I would consider myself a 'weather guru/god.'

Over and out.

10/4 rubber ducky. All quiet now in the swords area, no snow this night i'm afraid, but maybe monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Each time the rain/precip has looked like it was going to die out here in Naas - more developed just to the West on the rainfall radar, not sure if this is to do with LOS issues with the radar or not, but they're quite significant falls - albeit of rain, but tonight could be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Whats the GEM like? Meteociel seems to have lost the plot can't get a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate Rain

3.7c
    DP @ 3.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

There is some major flooding around greystones, co Wicklow. Also n11 glen of the downs very bad. Raining heavy non stop for at least 36 hours and still going strong. 2 degrees so hopefully if it gets colder it might change to snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why are we Irish so crap when it comes to dressing for the weather? Saw loads of people of all ages today without umbrellas, headgear or even coats, getting drenched and frozen.
    It seems to start in secondary school with the idea that protecting yourself against the weather is uncool or not macho :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 omegaultimo2

the banks overflowed between rathdrum and arklow main road.One of the bridges was overflowing as well diverting traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

otherfrog wrote: »
    Each time the rain/precip has looked like it was going to die out here in Naas - more developed just to the West on the rainfall radar, not sure if this is to do with LOS issues with the radar or not, but they're quite significant falls - albeit of rain, but tonight could be interesting.

GFS shows the precip hanging around for a while, though getting lighter.

6pm:

ukprec.png

9pm:

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Why are we Irish so crap when it comes to dressing for the weather? Saw loads of people of all ages today without umbrellas, headgear or even coats, getting drenched and frozen.
    It seems to start in secondary school with the idea that protecting yourself against the weather is uncool or not macho :rolleyes:

Seeing cotton hoodies in lashing rain is my favourite - hood pulled up to protect from the elements, which it does, for all of 5 seconds.

Unfortunately, if some education or guidance was offered, a lot of folks would turn their noses up at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Video of 3 rock (Dublin) today, I'm going to head for there in the morning if nothing shows up down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

According to the NAE 850 hPa temps at the moment -4 around dublin, -5 North Dublin and -7 to -9 over NI. Milder blip forecast -3 hPa temps around dublin then slowly decreasing down to -5/-6. Meanwhile precipitation very stubborn here and refusing to leave, temp holding at 2.9 deg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow grains starting to fall here again, the slush/bits of snow on the grass didnt even melt during the 15 minutes of dry weather, very unusal considering how wet everywhere is. Judging from that hopefully anything that falls here from now on will just be snow:)

Same here. It seems like what's on the grass is very icy so it hasn't melted even during the breaks in snow and when rain has come instead. Temp only 2c but not cold enough to keep the snow I would've thought!! Not complaining

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    What's the temp and dp now PP ?

In my sig old bean , spent that day trying to fix my fTP link so the rain stats are off

GFS shows the precip hanging around for a while, though getting lighter.

6pm:

ukprec.png

9pm:

ukprec.png

Bad news for Big daddy cool in meath :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Snowing heavily at last in Eastern Donegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement