Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

dropped 2.0c in a hour here now !

The colder air filtering through .
    Went for a walk 20min ago sleet in the showers when there are at there heaviest (suncroft)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Does anyone know will there be any chance of snow in the "sunny" south east?
    I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Seems like Dublin/Wicklow mountains are being bashed at the moment with up to 40/50 centimetres in places..not unusual for at all I know but I would have preferred if it had been snowing more at lower levels too..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snow queen Wexford

200motels wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold out much hope.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Issued at 18 January 2013 - 16:18

Weather Warning

Further heavy falls of snow will affect much of Ulster this evening and overnight, with drifting in places. But sleet and snow showers over north Connacht and parts of north Leinster this evening, should largely peter out later. A cold frosty night countrywide, with icy patches.

Valid until 0800 Saturday 19/01/13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

220 mtrs asl wicklow east side of lug pissin rain temp dropped to 3deg at the mo pelting snow a few miles up the road in augavanna hills all around me are white.what are my chances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its a pretty "odd" event in that respect. There is a very sharp temp gradient across the front as is evidenced by the massive contrast in temps and conditions between North Dublin and counties just south of Dublin.
    Earlier today buoy M2 in the Irish Sea was 0.1c colder than where I am and someone posted a temp of 1.7c in Howth which was nearly a full degree colder than me. Extremely odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I take it that the chances of snow at my location over the next few days is very low, seems to be marginal further north. Not overly impressed by the models, nothing much exciting happening.
    Sunday should see some snow for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Does anyone know will there be any chance of snow in the "sunny" south east?

Could see some Sunday/Sunday night.

Temp down to 5.9c here, 2c drop in an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Any snow around glencree area...pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Earlier today buoy M2 in the Irish Sea was 0.1c colder than where I am and someone posted a temp of 1.7c in Howth which was nearly a full degree colder than me. Extremely odd?

Its odd in that at this time of year you would expect land areas to be a good bit colder than air temps over nearby coastal waters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

In the short term which i consider 72 hrs very encouraging output from all models today with -8 uppers imby from tomorrow evening. All we need now is the precipitation and we could see some decent falls. I'm a lot more confident than this time yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Cork snow shield doing its job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

The river vartry in Ashford this evening. 907_466672720060257_403977645_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Mr November

Snow on Three Rock (Dublin) earlier today... Pretty wild up there! :D

1) http://youtu.be/-86ti3_X7po

2) http://youtu.be/1_dvj9uGgRw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Didn't see you waving to us!!!

I didn't take the video, but I will wave at you tomorrow! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowing heavy here again, not really sticking properly, just adding slush on top of slush.

edit, snow just turned back to rain/sleet:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Chilly but nothing uncomfortable tonight in Waterford. Enjoy the snow up there wherever you are!

I don't rate our chances this weekend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

I have never witnessed that situation before..i.e.e the coast being colder than inland. In 208/08/10 whilst there was very thick snow in Dublin 15 there was a lot less right on the coast or sometimes hardly any at all. However today it sleeted and snowed for most of the day....unusual really.

It appears that it will be much colder in Dublin tomorrow with snow showers...we will see.

As usual the OOOirish Press will by pass the massive snowfall in parts of Dublin and Wicklow and elsewhere in parts of the North and will concentrate on wales where there is not a chance they would have got the same dumping as Dublin/wicklow mountains ....the old colonial 'look over your shoulder' grovel syndrome.....unbelievable but true

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow drifts in Cork! :D

No but seriously its been a beautiful day here even if it isn't that cold. I don't really mind the mild as long as its not lashing rain and mist, like last night. :)

Some serious snow potential for Sunday into Monday if the models come of for all of Ireland. My iPod app has temps down to 4C tomorrow and even colder later on (lows of -4C) on Monday through to Wednesday. Checking Drogheda now on it and its zero with snow! I wish I was up there! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Gonzo wrote: »
    snowing heavy here again, not really sticking properly, just adding slush on top of slush.

Yup see some white flakes around here (south Meath) too, but there's a lot of rain still mixed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Tempted to organize a trip up the Wicklow mountains. I need my fix already !:pac:

I,m tempted to buy a plane ticket back to Ireland...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have to take a long break now! Worn out watching the temperature hovering all afternoon between 1.5c and 1.8c with only bits of sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Got word that the snow is sticking at sea level now on the NW Donegal coast. Too dark to get pictures though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Went into Slane village with the camera, expecting some nice snowy pics. But alas, it was just wet. It is snowing where i am, 80 metres above sea level, but go down maybe 10 metres and it is not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I wouldn't trust the weather app on the iPod, it's apparently snowing here in north leinster until Tuesday. It's 0c outside but it's raining outside after hours of snowing with no sticking...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I wouldn't trust the weather app on the iPod, it's apparently snowing here in north leinster until Tuesday. It's 0c outside but it's raining outside after hours of snowing with no sticking...

It usually shows snow on an iPod app if there's a chance of it, it doesn't mean the day itself will be entirely snowy. It could be anything from a minute long flurry to an all day blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temps on the rise here, currently 3.1C, highest of the day. Probably in the warm sector by now, hope its short lived

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i get the feeling most of us will just experience this constant changing of rain-sleet-snow-sleet-rain-sleet-snow-rain. need a drop of at least 1.5C-2c for it to stay as snow allowing suitable sticking conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Snow on Three Rock (Dublin) earlier today... Pretty wild up there! :D

1) http://youtu.be/-86ti3_X7po

2) http://youtu.be/1_dvj9uGgRw

Nice vids! Going to head up there in the morning, all the videos have 100% convinced me it's worth it, I hope the GF likes it, I don't fancy a "my feet are cold" morning lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement