Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Can't remember the last time got such heavy precip with wind coming in off Irish sea falling as snow right on coast. Thought maybe the Irish sea might keep the temp that bit warmer for coastal areas with the gale force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well the ECM is clueless after 96hrs.
    It's 144hrs chart is crazy, but still very cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

ECH1-144_rvm5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres going to be flooding in Wicklow if this keeps up, never saw this much rain all day and night like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Where in Dublin is this? Not in D24 anyway!! :0)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks good for us from much later on tonight, 5/6 am and onwards lasting till tuesday/wednesday for now. South-East UK looks like they may get milder for a while during Sunday with the colder weather pushed back to Scotland and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well the ECM is clueless after 96hrs.
    It's 144hrs chart is crazy, but still very cold!!

Similar to UKMO 144. Looks like more energy to be directed southeast there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

TheTorment wrote: »
    I can feel the tears welling up...

:(

i'm in bit's boy!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I think most reading or lurking here realize this, but today was never going to be much of a snow day south of Ulster, conditions are rapidly improving through Saturday, my updated forecast thoughts in the ramping thread and as a posted forecast update. Basically 70% chance snow for most areas through Monday, the average citizen will see 2-4 cm if that helps, more if said average citizen gets in car and drives up a nearby hill. Some lucky souls will see 10-30 cm and a few unlucky ones not much just traces. Coastal Kerry may never get cold enough and southeast corner at sea level not too favoured either.

Booooo! :(

I want some snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's snowing steady in Meath near Ashbourne but ground is covered in puddles. Any chance of any of this sticking in the coming days or have we only got slush puppy to look forward to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No snow here in mild Co.Wexford,the lowest it got all day was 6c.Our main worry here is flooding from the torrential rain last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye we are just going to have to grin and bear it for next few hours. Today could have been immmense if Britain had a more established cold pool to give us that 1.5-2.0c temp drop.

So close to a total whiteout.

aboyro wrote: »
    i'm in bit's boy!!!!!!!

Waterford and lower parts of Wexford could possibly see a bit of snow in this period and sleety accumulations on grassy surfaces but the least likely place for snow in the entire scenario would be around Rosslare to coastal Waterford (due to insufficient cooling of entire atmospheric profile).

I hope MT is wrong. I was so much looking forward to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

TheTorment wrote: »
    Waterford and lower parts of Wexford could possibly see a bit of snow in this period and sleety accumulations on grassy surfaces but the least likely place for snow in the entire scenario would be around Rosslare to coastal Waterford (due to insufficient cooling of entire atmospheric profile).

I hope MT is wrong. I was so much looking forward to snow.

I think he means along the coast, if your inland you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Horrible White Shíte, today was a nightmare.

CE93F7FB-803C-4119-BBD2-6AF62DD82691-3610-0000022527637A30.jpg

ADD45A46-9E5E-44B5-98E1-1594F25CA7E2-3610-0000022529F0F3A2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Sleet beginning to fall here near Allenwood.... temps near freezing too... One lives in hope.:D

I'm guessing thats Bristol, not Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ye we are just going to have to grin and bear it for next few hours. Today could have been immmense if Britain had a more established cold pool to give us that 1.5-2.0c temp drop.

So close to a total whiteout.

I think we effed this one up all by ourselves ie. stuck under the one tiny sliver of milder air for thousands of miles eitheir side of us:(

ECM is magic in deep FI. Sends those lows sliding southeast stopping a mild breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

ECM is magic in deep FI. Sends those lows sliding southeast stopping a mild breakdown.

Last frame should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Fantastic ECM and UKMO , the GFS is out on its own so far. and look whats lurking to our east:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lovely forecast from Siobhan there!! Looking good for Sunday/Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Fantastic ECM and UKMO , the GFS is out on its own so far. and look whats lurking to our east:D

Any chance of posting the graphs / models?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I thought the pattern looked a lot flatter at 120 !

Bloody dog got sick and I missed the rest of the run :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

leahyl wrote: »

Didn't go into detail but said it was a high risk. Playing safe till tomorrows 12zs I would say.

I think what's showing up for Monday could easily become a Red warning and the Met are already hinting at it.
    Far to early to be sure, but at the moment Monday is looking like the biggest dump of snow for many a year

She did a great job explaining everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Clouds starting to creep in over Waterford now. As usual we're in the 'not a hope' category. We'll see!

My webcam out in the garden...

tropical-beach.jpg

I'm a bit unsure as to where all this talk of no snow for Waterford / Wexford is coming from ??
    They actually looked poised throughout & even have a chance tomorrow morning.
    Coastal Kerry, I can understand as they are closest to the atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Major upgrade from yesterday's RTE forecast actually, both for this weekend and for the coming week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement