Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I'm a bit unsure as to where all this talk of no snow for Waterford / Wexford is coming from ??
    They actually looked poised throughout & even have a chance tomorrow morning.
    Coastal Kerry, I can understand as they are closest to the atlantic

One bitten twice shy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It is unfortunate that temps and DPs didn't fall as expected last night. Wicklow has had 60mm of rain today which would have been epic if it had fell as snow.

Any ideas when the cold pool will eventually arrive to the east coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I'm a bit unsure as to where all this talk of no snow for Waterford / Wexford is coming from ??

MT mentioned the southeastern corner at sea level (presumably around Rosslare?) That's hardly the entire sunny, sorry, snowy south east is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Should we get a more detailed forecast after the 9 news? So now the cold is coming from the west??!

leahyl wrote: »
    Should we get a more detailed forecast after the 9 news? So now the cold is coming from the west??!

Probably about the same. Sunday/Monday is still quite uncertain, so she'll highlight the risk again I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I'm 30 odd miles inland halfway up the blackstairs 160 mtrs asl,facing east in rural west Wexford .....I'm hopeful of at least 2-5 cm:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

leahyl wrote: »

The Nine O'Clock forecast tends to be more detailed, so I think we should be expecting to hear more about Sunday and beyond, although it is very uncertain at this stage.

It will be coming from the west but if the wind direction is right it should bring in cold south easterlies allowing snow to fall. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A lot of uncertainty with the amount of precip Sunday/Monday. The TV forecast would have been based the 0Z data. 0Z ECM showed a lot heavier precip moving over the country during that period. 12Z ECM shows a lot less intense precip and restricts it more to the southwest corner with only light amounts getting about halfway across before dying out.

It's all down to the exact track and intensity of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Trotter wrote: »
    Clouds starting to creep in over Waterford now. As usual we're in the 'not a hope' category. We'll see!

My webcam out in the garden...

tropical-beach.jpg

Well thats certainly better than the cold sh*tty rain/sleet we had all day here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The TV forecast would have been based the 0Z data. 0Z ECM showed a lot heavier precip moving over the country during that period.

So right, it should be up to speed on the 9pm news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For anyone interested, there's a BBC News special on the snowy weather at 7.30pm on BBC1.

A lot of uncertainty with the amount of precip Sunday/Monday. The TV forecast would have been based the 0Z data. 0Z ECM showed a lot heavier precip moving over the country during that period. 12Z ECM shows a lot less intense precip and restricts it more to the southwest corner with only light amounts getting about halfway across before dying out.

Where are you viewing the ECM precip. charts Maq?

barney 20v wrote: »
    I'm 30 odd miles inland halfway up the blackstairs 160 mtrs asl,facing east in rural west Wexford .....I'm hopeful of at least 2-5 cm:-)

Look out your window to the East,can you see me waving? I see Mt.Leinster got a dusting of snow already.

dacogawa wrote: »
    So right, it should be up to speed on the 9pm news

I doubt they will change much if anything. She didn't go into any detail anyway, just saying there was a risk. They'll have a better idea by tomorrow anyway.

Rougies wrote: »
    Where are you viewing the ECM precip. charts Maq?

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bottom line, whats the chance of snow for the east coast over sunday monday, in bray here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I cant remember who here said it but they highly recommended the NAE for within 48 hours, it looks interesting for tomorrow morning on the east, maybe a little flutter, the air over Irish sea starts cooling down after 3am on it too

13011909_1812.gif

13011912_1812.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

zerks wrote: »

Look out your window to the East,can you see me waving? I see Mt.Leinster got a dusting of snow already.
    I can! Put some trousers on! This was my view in 2010 hopefully something similar soon!

barney 20v wrote: »
    This was my view in 2010 hopefully something similar soon!

Nice,was up there for the last bit of snow before Xmas.Driving across the mountain was a bit hairy due to zero visibility from low cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I cant remember who here said it but they highly recommended the NAE for within 48 hours, it looks interesting for tomorrow morning on the east, maybe a little flutter, the air over Irish sea starts cooling down after 3am on it too

13011909_1812.gif

13011912_1812.gif

NAE was very inaccurate last night for today. Was showing widespread snow.

• Advertisement

Well NAE is usually very good, it didn't quite get today right, but it's tough when the difference between rain/snow is less than 2 degrees dew point.

All models though show conditions going forward better than today for snow potential until at least Tuesday.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    NAE was very inaccurate last night for today. Was showing widespread snow.

It was fairly bang on for snow accumulations. Never showed any accumulating for Dublin lower levels.
    The problem is it that it doesn't show sleet in the snowfall/rainfall charts, it just gives it the same pink colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

We get the cold potentially arrives and then the precipitation goes missing! Typical!

I use this link and you can just see it arriving...not sure what prediction system it is.
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

No snow worth talking about in Stranorlar. Snowed for an hour albeit light and patchy was heavy for 10mins max. Cars are white and grass is confused slighty about it's colour but that's about it. very disappointing when 30miles further East it's a whiteout waaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Forecast: Dublin Region
    After a disappointing Saturday the sun will show itself in the two following days. Widespread snow will fall. The maximum temperature lies around 3 degrees.

Weatheronline Dublin Region Forecast

We get the cold potentially arrives and then the precipitation goes missing! Typical!

I use this link and you can just see it arriving...not sure what prediction system it is.
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

That's the HIRLAM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1.8 degrees, raining and thaw speeding up if anything on this higher ground anyway (as of 5 minutes ago). A good snow shower at dusk kind of got my hopes up, but it didn't last.

Floods will probably the big weather story of the night/ day tomorrow. The stream at the front of our site is close to bursting it's banks, and it already has once it's gone under the road. That'll all feed down towards Arklow. Feeder streams for the Vartry (above the reservoir) had burst their banks earlier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ah, good 'ol Bray. Micro-Climate Bray. Wicklow Mountain precipitation shield to the south. Wicklow mountain shield to the west. Dublin mountain shield to the North. At the northern edge of the IOM shadow in a NN Easterly. At the Southern Edge of an IOM shadow in an ENE wind. In the Anglesey Snow shadow in an Easterly. in the Welsh shadow in a SE wind.

Bray even though its smack bang in the middle of the east coast it is up there with Waterford and Cork for the incidence of S.A.D. (Snow Absence Disorder)

An 87 level frontal event from the SW or a few streamers the odd time we get a pure North Easterly from Cumbria direction is the only time we get anything over a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

This snow thats being talked about for Sunday/Monday. Its coming from the west, correct?

Will it make it all the way across the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Calibos wrote: »

Bray even though its smack bang in the middle of the east coast it is up there with Waterford and Cork for the incidence of S.A.D. (Snow Absence Disorder).

If Sunday night comes off as all models have suggested now for 4 straight days then the SAD counties of Waterford and particularly Cork may have their disorder cured forever!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement