Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Basically 70% chance snow for most areas through Monday, the average citizen will see 2-4 cm if that helps, more if said average citizen gets in car and drives up a nearby hill.
    For anyone in dublin, you can get up to three rock mountain without snowchains etc & it's less than 5 min drive from the sandyford exit on the M50, you'll get to the lower carpark as a previous poster mentioned & can walk into loads of snow.

There is no need to be going up to sallys gap looking for snow, that's madness, plenty in the dublin mountains, I'll be taking a spin up myself tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

if they took the line out of the way the rest of us might get some snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

otherfrog wrote: »
    Light sleet here in Naas at the moment, fascinated to see where things lead over the next few days.

Had that here over in Allenwood / Prosperous direction about an hour ago, temps have gone up since, shame because we could have had a nice dumping if the temps kept plummeting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bravo Siobhan, Bravo - detailed forecast which gave sufficient warning but without ramping too much! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Rte not buying into widespread snow on sunday night. Think its getting over hyped here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

good forecast from rte if you are north west and north east

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

hi just wondering what the chances would be in north kilkenny tonight would the fact that im situated high enough give us a good chance to see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    Bravo Siobhan, Bravo - detailed forecast which gave sufficient warning but without ramping too much! :pac:

Ramping language with a professional forecast, best of both worlds ;)
    Not too bad on the eye either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yep. And you could tell she changed it a bit because of the latest models. Didn't say high risk, just a risk that it might turn to snow in munster/connacht. Spot on forecast with what the latest models show.

Now to see what the 18Z GFS says....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

We need Evelyn on a ramp...Siobhan doesn't do it....too much "bitter" and "extremely"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will look very pretty on the mountains. Just hope it has the manners to come no farther...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

was watching the RTE forecast there . she never said anything about snow in Dublin . colder on Sunday!! Didn't MT say something (last week) about it being a short cold spell , then turning back to mild and towards end of Jan into Feb is the big one ? I'm beginning to think he might be right .

paddy ocon wrote: »
    good forecast from rte if you are north west and north east

Or in Munster and Connacht for Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Or in Munster and Connacht for Monday :)

oh of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Possible "Anglesey shadow" tomorrow. If wintry showers do occur tomorrow in the E, they will be a lot more productive North of Laytown (wider sea-track).

was watching the RTE forecast there . she never said anything about snow in Dublin . Back to mild on sunday. Didn't MT say something (last week) about it being a short cold spell , then turning back to mild and towards end of Jan into Feb is the big one ? I'm beginning to think he might be right .

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

very disappointed with that forecast, not once did she say "relentless"

Now to see what the 18Z GFS says....

That's out soon yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

very disappointed with that forecast, not once did she say "relentless"

She only uses "relentless" for things she doesn't like. She's definitely a snow bunny ;)

Back to mild on sunday.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Good potential from the forecast but what's with the pessimistic language: "inclement, disruptive"! You can be guaranteed that "inclement" wouldn't feature in a forecast for a heatwave!

Some of us like the cold! :(

That's out soon yes?

At the moment yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

was watching the RTE forecast there . she never said anything about snow in Dublin . Back to mild on sunday. Didn't MT say something (last week) about it being a short cold spell , then turning back to mild and towards end of Jan into Feb is the big one ? I'm beginning to think he might be right .

It will be much colder by sunday. The question is where will the precipitation be. Possibly a chance for the south west but current models show the precip breaking up and being generally light so I don't hold out too much hope there. After that it's all very uncertain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

whitesands wrote: »
    For anyone in dublin, you can get up to three rock mountain without snowchains etc & it's less than 5 min drive from the sandyford exit on the M50, you'll get to the lower carpark as a previous poster mentioned & can walk into loads of snow.

There is no need to be going up to sallys gap looking for snow, that's madness, plenty in the dublin mountains, I'll be taking a spin up myself tomorrow :D

Doing the same but getting the bus (no.47) goes from Fleet St to Belarmine, 2.5k walk to the top of 3 Rock from there & the good thing about the bus is you can stop for a pint on the way back down & enjoy the view!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Temperture now up to 4 c in Swords, up from 3.5 c about 90 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

hi just wondering what the chances would be in north kilkenny tonight would the fact that im situated high enough give us a good chance to see snow
    There be no snow in kilkenny tonite...sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It will be much colder by sunday. The question is where will the precipitation be. Possibly a chance for the south west but current models show the precip breaking up and being generally light so I don't hold out too much hope there. After that it's all very uncertain at the moment.

That looks fairly organised to me:

(http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=48&code=0&mode=2)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

eastmayo wrote: »
    There be no snow in kilkenny tonite...sorry.

ah sure theres always sunday/monday

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Rougies wrote: »
    He's in Cavan, I looked through his previous posts.

It's rain rain rain all over Dublin, including the higher suburbs. I'd say the snowline is about 400m at the moment in the mountains.

Way lower than that. Lamb Doyles and Blue Light are around 250m and they've snow. I'd say more like 225m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Watched the forecast with the parents.

Once it ended they said well looks like no snow in the Naas area next few days and where am I getting my information about snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement