Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

omicron wrote: »
    Su Campu
    Wolfe (twice)
    darkman
    SpongeBob
    DE

Any more lately? Going to be like a graveyard in here come spring . . .

In fairness Su had a hissy and left, and DM and SB were banned. At the end of the day all of these posters were giving their expertise for free on an open internet forum. I'd guess about 10 per cent of the posts on this thread offer any meteorological guidance, so it's not really conducive for experienced or knowledgeable posters alas. It's a shame theres not a thread where only invited users can post, but everyone can view.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

200motels wrote: »
    This is about 54 hours out and to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    prectypeuktopo.png
    Thanks, Gfs not looking too shabby, hope the high res shorter terms deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Had a fair bit of snow today(I posted a pic earlier)but from about 9pm to 11pm there was a rise in temperature and we had a lot of melting.
    Then we had rain.
    And now the temperature has dropped again.
    I'd say it will be like a skating rink here tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The M6 bouy was showing a DP of -1.7 on the 00:00 report. Pity it is out in the Deep Atlantic off the west coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Light rain, 4.1 deg. Wind at DL Harbour is still SSE (170deg), expecting that to change soon enough. Should be E or ESE by morning. Not expecting anything special here tomorrow (or lying snow for that matter, probably spits of sleet or snow with the occasional moderate "burst". Could be better North of Balbriggan/Laytown because of wind direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

It's been raining all evening in Drogheda and no snow. Wats the chances of snow for Drogheda and the north east in the next 48 hrs

Similar here in Dundalk all evening. There were bits of snow on and off between about 1.30 and 3pm today.

Useful online link to a weather monitoring station here, dundalkweather.com.

Its one of the links on the Irish Weather Networks live page. Based in Knockbridge, but its useful for info in the North Louth region. Little surprise its rain at the moment here, even though the temp is 3.1c, the DP is also 3.1c. No good for snow. Due to fall back again from tomorrow morning though. So the chances for snow in the NE may improve.

M2 buoy report for 1am: temp 3.1, DP 1.9. Down a little from midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

not a weather expert. Posted earlier about snowfall in Sligo - nothing since though snow stuck on hills + i am expecting more overnight - rainy now gone from -1 day to +1 night i'm in south sligo on higher ground and more inland - it's all very unpredictable at the moment but thats weather I'm enjoying the wide eyed enthusiam for snow here forgetting 2010 and -12 etc no water burst pipes + all! Snow brightens winter back to ur charts now its all v interesting and its great to be kept informed -

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

doccy wrote: »
    In fairness Su had a hissy and left, and DM and SB were banned. At the end of the day all of these posters were giving their expertise for free on an open internet forum. I'd guess about 10 per cent of the posts on this thread offer any meteorological guidance, so it's not really conducive for experienced or knowledgeable posters alas. It's a shame theres not a thread where only invited users can post, but everyone can view.
    Good point but afraid it might become a bit too elitist?
    How would a new expert join? probation or on a recommendation from an insider? I guess it could be a reserved thread?
    I am confused by the the number of different threads this past 24 hrs, i am delighted for those with snow reports etc but i feel a dedicated model output thread is a must for the future to get the most from expert eyes like tjtn & maquillodora etc. It would be best suited to those with experience of chart reading, not neccessarily me :(
    Rant over leaving now. looking forward to tomorrow mornings output

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Snowing in Wexford town? :|

I'm about an hour away in Gorey so here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Heavy snow in Donegal atm. Strange thing is nothing is showing up on the radar
    Weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

doccy wrote: »

Note that DM2 and SB were banned from boards for shenanigans elsewhere on boards not for anything they did or said on the weather forum.

I liked the sound of your idea at the end of the post though presume the boards software doesn't allow it. While for the last few years the mods did try to have model and general discussion threads, without that software feature its just total frustration when people don't even read the thread title properly and post any old ****e in the serious threads. However, as frustrating as it all was for know nothing regular lurkers like me or the knowledgeable and expert contributor, to be honest I don't think thats the reason most of the the experts have left. Most of the time it seemed to be battle of the ego's between each other, arguments about the models would get heated and one or both would have a hissy fit and leave.

I think for the most part, the rest of us 'plebs' liked everyone of them both for their unique characters and their expertise, the problem is they don't all like each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Good point but afraid it might become a bit too elitist?
    How would a new expert join? probation or on a recommendation from an insider? I guess it could be a reserved thread?
    I am confused by the the number of different threads this past 24 hrs, i am delighted for those with snow reports etc but i feel a dedicated model output thread is a must for the future to get the most from expert eyes like tjtn & maquillodora etc. It would be best suited to those with experience of chart reading, not neccessarily me :(
    Rant over leabe now. looking forward to tomorrow mornings output

Dedicated model threads have been tried to death but they just get hijacked when a snow flake falls etc.

DE always had great info. always had the bant with him, shame.

Nice clear night here, temp dropping slowly after a long day and preceding night of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Eh snowing in wexford???? When was this the plan its dry in Waterford :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

omicron wrote: »
    Busy yes, but it doesn't mean people have to stop being civil.

Closing your account or...storming...off in a hissy fit is perhaps not civil or....model....behaviour either.
    Calibos wrote: »
    ...However, as frustrating as it all was for know nothing regular lurkers like me or the knowledgeable and expert contributor, to be honest I don't think thats the reason most of the the experts have left. Most of the time it seemed to be battle of the ego's between each other, arguments about the models would get heated and one or both would have a hissy fit and leave.

I agree.

I think most people close their accounts because there is an unbelievable amount of sh1t in here

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Long time lurker here. Did DE announce he was leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I think there was a post back up the thread asking why there weren't dewpoints given on Met Eireann's weather stations reports page. Here are two online calculators I found that may help.

With the first one just imput the temperature and relative humidity and you should get the dew point. Seems to be fairly accurate.

Link: http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

The second isn't as accurate. Click to find what you want (temp, RH, DP), then slide the two bars to get a result. It gives a rough answer. No decimal point.

Link: http://www.dpcalc.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

dfx- wrote: »
    Closing your account or...storming...off in a hissy fit is perhaps not civil or....model....behaviour either.

Puntastic :rolleyes:

To be fair, Su put up with years of negative comments towards him for his realistic forecasts (which were usually right) before he called it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

So this event seems like a total wash out, thanks again to everyone for the contributions, what a ride eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

It ain't over yet :)

Although Knock Airport is the only station in the country that is showing anything below 0, -1c at the moment. Cork still at 2c, but it is cloudy out there now, no sign of a frost either. Winds currently NW, from the midlands up the winds look to be shifting easterly. That might start bringing in something over the Irish sea, if the temps were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭snowgal

Really not the thread for discussing past, present, banned members, please stick to snow weather forecasts, that's what the topic is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Heavy snow earlier in wexford town, Stopped now but everywhere is white... happy snow everyone!

Much snow with u mountainy man?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Graupel wrote: »
    Heavy snow earlier in wexford town, Stopped now but everywhere is white... happy snow everyone!

I doubt there is even a flake there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

back on the subject matter please folks.

temperatures beginning their fall. dewpoints should get to zero or below from 9 for the east coast , once that stubborn little low centre west of Donegal fills and tracks west. The development of this caused cold air to divert northwards and then west around it, leaving the bulk of the ROI in a mild sector from yesterday afternoon.

6am

13011906_1900.gif

6pm
    13011918_1900.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Nice easterly feed coming about. Some streamers on the way for the east coast.

Some may ask why I forecast snow to lower levels and it didn't happen to the degree i anticipated.

NAE 12z on Thursday illustrated snow to ground level (away from coasts) north of Bray and this was then later backed up by UK GM and ECM GM

Here was the forecast for midnight last night.

13011900_1712.gif

Here is what actually occurred.

(The difference in the positioning of the low centre was crucial in determining the source of the cold and how much was allowed interact from Britain, the result was a snowline further north than progged Thursday)

In reality some people escaped what could have been an epic snowfall by 1 or 2c. And this slight synoptic change was part the cause.

13011900_1900.gif

Temp down to 2.6c again here now. Hopefully it won't hit a brick wall like yesterday (it shouldn't, reason per above). Light rain shower presently.

Temps have slight gone up in with me in Stranorlar. That graph perfectly illustrates why central and eastern Ulster bore the brunt and us in west Ulster didn't fair as well. No lying snow with me but some low lying parts of Donegal have a few inches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I'm in navan co meath at the min and its very very cold some sleet about. My app says I'm about 51m ASL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement