Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Anyone know how much rain fell yesterday? I reckon if you multiply the amount of rain by 1.2, it estimate the amount of snow in centimeters we should've had yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just home from work. 1.4c here in Donegal Town. Dp1.1. Dry. Slight breeze. Lovely walk home from sea level to 124ft asl. Not one flake of show fell here the entire day. That little low of the coast guaranteed that. It's now 5.07am. Time for a wee beer for supper me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Still snowing very light. Glad no problem getting to work lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

I know it has Ben an east ulster event. However, Newry didn't even get a trace of snow. Not at town level anyway the way that Belfast did. The mtns around are covered but no cover further down even this far north. The wife had to abandon car on way home from Belfast last night and get the train. Couldn't believe there was none here. Can't see anymore from this spell for me anyway. Always seems to go around me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Weathercheck do you ever get to sleep brother? I'm only up now because I was out for the night, Couldn't believe when I left the club at 2am and there was snow everywhere. This was on the south east coast at about 2m asl so theres hope for everyone. Keep the eyes open open and the mild dreams away.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Weathering wrote: »
    Much snow with u mountainy man?

None since about 4pm had a bit of a melt but still a good covering on the ground.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temps falling here this morning. Back to where we were yesterday. 1.7c DP 1.1c. Just hope that keeps going down today!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Latest Met Eireann forecast issued at 5.10am this morning is a major upgrade. A lot of mentions of the word "snow" and also a few of the word "accumulations". Did not mention any of this last night but this is understandable given the mayhem that we have seen on the weather models over the past few weeks.

Enjoy the read :)

D

National Forecast
    19 January 2013 05:10

Today
    Wintry showers of rain and sleet in Leinster and Ulster early this morning. Many of these will turn to sleet or snow later this morning and will continue for much of the day. Some dry or bright spells in Munster and Connacht, but scattered showers of rain, hail or sleet also. Very cold with temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees in general and reaching 5 or 6 degrees in the southwest.

Tonight

Very cold tonight with a widespread sharp or severe frost, icy stretches on roads and patches of freezing fog. Most areas dry. However wintry showers of sleet or snow will affect eastern coastal counties of Leinster and Ulster. Lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees

Tomorrow

Very cold on Sunday with frost and fog persisting in places. Further scattered showers of sleet or snow in eastern parts of Leinster and Ulster and possibly east Munster. Rain and sleet will develop in the southwest during the afternoon and will spread over Munster in the evening, turning to snow in many areas. Temperatures of just 1 to 4 degrees.

Outlook

The coming week is going to be very cold with day time temperatures ranging from just 1 to 6 degrees on many of the days. Severe frost and ice will develop at night with temperatures dropping as low as - 6 or -7 degrees in some areas. There'll be sleet and snow at times with significant accumulations possible in places. In these very cold conditions, any snow will lie on the ground.

Sunday night will be cold with rain, sleet and snow moving northeastwards across the country giving some significant accumulations. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

There'll be further outbreaks of sleet and snow on Monday, but some dry periods too. Temperatures will range from 1 to 4 degrees in general, but will reach 5 or 6 degrees in the southwest. A severe frost and icy patches will develop on Monday night.

Tuesday will be dry in many areas, but scattered sleet and snow showers will develop in many coastal areas. Again, a severe frost will develop at night.

On Wednesday, rain sleet and snow will move eastwards across the country.
    Thursday will be brighter with some scattered wintry showers of rain, hail or sleet.
    More rain, sleet and snow will move in from the west on Friday.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

IMBY temp 2c dew point 1c. When i checked last night it was 3.9c dp 3.2c Tis colder this morning. This is in D4 near the strand. Yesterday was 2.5c for most of the day. If that rain fell as snow it would have been a disaster.

Outlook is good for a MTs cold period prediction. Plenty of cold built up in the UK. If we get a westerly sliding south, we could be back in the history books :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Light sleet in the City Centre around a half hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp stuck here again! :rolleyes: 1.6c DP 1.0c Light rain as far as I can see (could be sleet, but I have no lampost to watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Temperature dropped to 2c now in west Dublin.

Sleet being reported at Dublin AP at 0700.

DP at M2 bouy down to 0.4c at 0700 - good stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

My brother just rang, he's just after getting into Dublin from wales on the boat he's a truck driver, he said the snow in uk is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

90% of the snow.has gone this morning here in Belfast..very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Everything frozen solid here, very hard frost. was -1.3c when i got up at 6.30. Its risen to 1.9c in an hour. Looks like cloud cover increasing from the NW. Seems most of the country is still in the mild Atlantic air coming from that small low pressure off Donegal.

Seen why its risen, its pelting down freezing rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Fog Fog and more fog here in Limerick this morning, though MET actually mentions 'munster' AND 'snow' in this mornings upgrade so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Anyone here near South Dublin hills? I'm supposed to be meeting some friends on Mt Venus Road this morning - was it affected by the snow yesterday or this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

mount venus road was clear @ 8pm last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Sleety rain in Ark low
    1.8/1.3

• Advertisement

Light rain turning sleety here too. Temps going (very slowly) in the right direction too. 1.5c DP 0.8c

Just listening to Gerry on Radio one, I think every second word he said was snow! :) What a turnaround for the guy! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Snowed here tonight so Sunday night chances must be high..And were in the very south east corner. Wasn't expecting anything tonight so barring downgrades sunday night could be special

Happy snow folks over and out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just listening to Gerry on Radio one, I think every second word he said was snow! :) What a turnaround for the guy! :p

He's either drunk or he reads the criticism of him on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Downgrade word banned here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Temperature now down to 0c in west Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

It is still raining here in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Temperature now down to 0c in west Dublin!
    Light snow falling. Now in Dublin 15...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

How did the GFS and ECM 0z fair ? I'm on the phone here and it's slow! Did the GFs 06 z pick up that warm sector last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Light snow falling. Now in Dublin 15...

Light snow falling here now. Yipee! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement