Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

3c in Lusk with rain all morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There will be snow for most people over the coming days, very cold, from widespread snow to snow affecting Leinster, Ulster and east Munster.
    Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

the front that is coming in from the east look as if it is been feed on the back edge in the Irish sea so i think as the day progress i believe we will see more perspiration hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.6c here. Snizzling. Lots of snow on the fields. Mad floods on the roads. Never seen it as bad. I think the slush has blocked the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think ur rite, it's strange no one was on giving info on runs this morning too!

The snow showers will be an east coast and east ulster affair later today. That was always the case. They were never going to be anywhere else.. not with an east wind. All depends now on temperature drop and steamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Can someone please explain what exactly streamers are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Browning wrote: »
    Deank, Up above Kilteel.
    Thanks Browning, I hope some of that snow makes its way here, I had a very disappointed 7 year old this morning when she woke to no snow, she keeps asking me when it will snow a and doesn't like the answer "I don't have a clue"

Hi Min would you or any other person know were to find current due points data, all i can find is CHARTS predicted due point for during the day thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Heading for a hike up around the back of ticknock shortly, its clear to drive up to the carpark at kilmashogue, but its already jammers. I guess half of Dublin is out looking for snow. Snowline starts here, currently snowing lightly. Will grab some pics and vids to post later.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Something like lake affect snow. We have the Irish sea and the Isle of Man. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cyclops999 wrote: »
    What about the Athlone area for the white stuff#force eleven:confused:

Looks doubtful, I think Sunday/Monday will be the best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

ZX7R wrote: »
    Hi Min would you or any other person know were to find current due points data, all i can find is CHARTS predicted due point for during the day thanks

http://irelandsweather.com/

Just hover over any of the locations to get additional data such as dew points

As far as i know a snow streamer is the sea temperature is warm and as the cold air pass over the sea it cause's convection an produces the snow streamers ,I Stand to be corrected on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Deank wrote: »
    Looks like some small streamers building in the Irish Sea.
    Well they would want to meet very cold air coz its lashing rain AGAIN in Drogheda :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Well they would want to meet very cold air coz its lashing rain AGAIN in Drogheda :(

I have been looking out my window at a pure white Cooley from my miserable wet hovel here in the Town!

I can see the snow level quite well must be approx 200 feet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Think it's game over for Dublin . Just all been hype

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

:confused:

Light sleet and wet snow here.

Temps falling too. 1.4c DP 0.8c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I normally would not agree, but I too am left suspicious, charts and models were all over the place for sure, but.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

It's very annoying seeing people post "it's game over" when there is still days left of this cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Talk about a case of déja vu.

The cold spell finally arrives (however short lived it will be) and it's just rain, rain rain.

I'd actually just take a snow shower at this stage over anything else.

I don't know what's worse - having cold weather but no precipitation and thinking: 'if only some streamers would blow in off the Irish sea' or looking out your window and seeing rain and thinking: 'if only dew points were 1c lower'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ohh, if you are referring to Sunday/Monday, I'm not sure that front will make it as far as Dublin? Will still be cold to very cold though.

DOCARCH wrote: »

:confused:

Light sleet and wet snow here.

Temps falling too. 1.4c DP 0.8c atm.

I have a drizzle of rain no snow or even sleet 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I have a drizzle of rain no snow or even sleet 😢

So because you haven't got snow right now it's game over? I'd love to see the look on your face if it starts snowing later.

compsys wrote: »
    The cold spell finally arrives (however short lived it will be) and it's just rain, rain rain.

Keep the faith! :) Very light sleet/snow here. Temps still dropping too. 1.3c DP 0.8c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In supposed to be going clay pidgeon shooting and some archery in balbriggan tomorrow at 12. They phoned there to say they are giving everybody a chance to rearrange because of weather . What's the chance of poor weather or snow and would you rearrange or just go ahead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The snow has been sticking for the last few minutes here outside Balbriggan and at my friends house in Naul, snow has got heavier. :D Gone lighter again, it seems to be fluctuating in intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Proper streamers are long periods of heavy snow at fixed locations. They form at certain locations, where conditions are right. They usually for Ireland are in the form of long thin bands, snowing in one area and down the road it mightn't be. They usually only build on axis, you wouldn't see them moving as a big blob from west to east or north to south, they just build overhead if you know what I mean. They stay very intense for several hours over relatively small areas, back building from where the streamer starts over the sea, and intensify over land. In Ireland, you'll see then form either side of the IOM.

However on Boards, 'streamers' are usually just little small showers that move in off the coast, not really streamers at all as they pass overhead very quick enough and die out rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Drumpot wrote: »
    In supposed to be going clay pidgeon shooting and some archery in balbriggan tomorrow at 12. They phoned there to say they are giving everybody a chance to rearrange because of weather . What's the chance of poor weather or snow and would you rearrange or just go ahead ?
    I'd say ur fine carry on and don't forget ur rain coat :)

Daniel2590 wrote: »

So because you haven't got snow right now it's game over? I'd love to see the look on your face if it starts snowing later.

Then I'll eat my words !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

FREETV wrote: »
    The snow has been sticking for the last few minutes here outside Balbriggan and at my friends house in Naul, snow has got heavier. :D Gone lighter again, it seems to be fluctuating in intensity.
    Is there a Balbriggan in Canada?

Cos my colleague in the same area said it has been pissing from the heavens all morning and his wee fella's football is cancelled,not a dickie of snow :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement