Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

temp just refusing to get below 1.9c. bit of sleet falling.

Thanks for the regular updates WC.

I thought at this stage (well past 9am), the upper -8oC temps would be well over the east coast so anything that falls from the sky should fall as snow?

Has the cold now been delayed?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone know why DE has left? That's a real loss. Hope all is ok with him. He'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

sleet has now turned to sleety snow here in citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I honestly think Cork City northwards will be snow. Also most Cork city suburbs are hilly which helps. The precipitation is coming in from the SW and will have tracked over Kerry and SW Cork County before landing here so I think it will be snow. NAE is super as you say. GFS has rain on the coast, including Cork CC, but they tend to overdo the coastline strip in those diagrams I find (simply because the coastal strip wouldn't be visible otherwise). I know it came from the SE but the snow event in Cork on 10 Jan 2010 was v marginal too and many very good posters here, and most forecasters, were calling it rain just before it landed (it having been called as snow all that week). I'd settle on Monday for the 10 hrs of snow we got then!
    Is the band of sleet and snow lookin like stayin in the south sunday nite or extending country wide as the nite go's on...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dónal wrote: »
    Anyone been up Hell Fire Club/Viewpoint/Three Rock today yet? Still snowy or is it melting?

Still snowy on three rock, light snow falling all morning in stepaside and continues to stick from around blue light level and higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

Light sleety/snow mix falling now in Clondalkin!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

now i can offically say that the sleety snow is now snow citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

eastmayo wrote: »
    Is the band of sleet and snow lookin like stayin in the south sunday nite or extending country wide as the nite go's on...

Again the 6z NAE says all but the NE would get some but 6z GFS not so good....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Dónal wrote: »
    Anyone been up Hell Fire Club/Viewpoint/Three Rock today yet? Still snowy or is it melting?

Light sleet here 1C with 0C dew point. Mountains still look white so I'd say its holding fine up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Looking good for some of the white stuff in the south west late tomorrow night, dare we hope?

nae42.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

copacetic wrote: »
    Still snowy on three rock, light snow falling all morning in stepaside and continues to stick from around blue light level and higher.

Some friends of ours just going up there now so will report back in a while. Don't forget anyone who is going up there to wave at me - I'll be watching!!

Light snow falling for the last hour or so and feels really cold

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

13012100_1906.gifThe morning NAE has the precipitation arriving in the SW about 4pm Sun, starting as rain and turning to snow a little inland, how soon and at what distance inland is the important thing for me:rolleyes:
    Dew points are not bad at the moment and a hard frost tonight and high cloud tomorrow should prevent much warming before the front imo.
    At midnight dewpoints are down to 0, alot of people will see snow and hopefully not many will see sleet and rain.
    Anticipating the 12z and nae updates with bated breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Again the 6z NAE says all but the NE would get some but 6z GFS not so good....
    I tought the 6z GFS ENSEMBLE'S run has brought colder uppers more west over Ireland for the short term looked better than the 0z:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Light snow now here in Cabinteely, D18 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Min wrote: »

It was that small bit on the radar that hit here, nothing much just light snow, virtually stopped now, but it did drag the temperature down, which is a good sign for anyone who wants snow.
    At the moment around here, evelation is what matters.

Cheers for that. I'm 530ft so should be high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

light drizzle in laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

1000 x 0 = ?

we are not at 0% chance

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Just light rain in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I read somewhere earlier that the NAE was looking good for the South on Monday
    Is this the same model was showing Dublin buried under snow on Friday whilest the gfs was having none of it ??
    For me the gfs is forever slated and imo is the best there is
    It also looks like calling the end of the cold spell (albeit temporarily) correctly and has the other models in reverse. It also imo has very accurate ppn charts and todays activity and where is testament to that. Compare what the UKMO is showing ppn for today!!

Anyways the potential is looking good for the next few days and favoured spots are the South midlands. I'm a tad disappointed this morning though because I think Cork will be too coastal for lying snow (maybe even falling snow)
    We always needed an offshore wind and while it does go offshore at times it wont be prolonged. Therfore yet again I think the gfs has got the uppers correct aswell.
    If you look properly you will see that the gfs as soon as the wind goes onshore raises the uppers whereas the UKMO keeps us in -8's with a Southerly wind.
    Now c'mon UKMO when last has Cork or any od the south coast had -8 uppers with an on shore wind!!
    This for means gfs is right and it's that bit more marginal
    Still a lot to look forward to and if you live in Tipp/ South Limerick it's looking very good

Certainly the city centre might not see lying snow but the surrounding areas are very hilly. I live near Douglas and last winter there were times when there was rain in Cork City centre and even in Douglas itself but in the hills where I live it was snowing. Plus the GFS is showing temperatures to be near enough around freezing for most areas away from the coast.

Still, if Sunday night doesn't work out, Monday night looks even better, which colder temps for most and another band of snow moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Humidity is rising
    Barometer's getting low
    According to our sources
    There's a chance of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

What's the chances Gorey in Wexford will see some, folks?

Not even a flake so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Iancar29 wrote: »
    DE has indeed closed his account , for reasons we all kinda know by this stage . Too much controversial posts can eventually get to people and it really is a shame! Luckily i have the privilege to be still in contact with him. But i do indeed echo voices from the regulars around here... a great , knowledgeable weather Historian as i would class him as :) . Don't worry , im sure he'll be sneeking about unseen whenever theres a risk of stormy violent westerlies or some big nice thunderstorms rolling into the west.

You Shall be missed DE!! .... :(:(:(

Sleet here earlier , still awaiting till the forecasted -7's and -8s 850s crawl over the east here later for anything interesting. Off to work i go :(

I echo those sentiments about my neighbour and fellow storm lover. I thought you had gone too, you were so quiet.

Temp on the rise here, precipitation dieing out as various systems bounce off each other and mix. Don't expect any snow over here from this round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Talk about the thread topic.

What members do with their accounts has no business in here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Drizzle rain here all morning, not even a frost over night. Personally Ive lost interest in this cold spell, it has delivered nothing more than floods and temperatures above 0C both day and night where I live. A few select other areas have got lucky and have seen decent snow, but for south county Meath I think this is as good as it gets for us. It's just not cold enough, we've had chart after chart of very promising scenarios yet there is always a warm sector or something else to spoil the situation. Im gonna sit back and wait for the next cold spell, one which has a long easterly track from the depths of eastern Europe with sub-zero temperatures all the way from from Moscow to Galway before getting excited again. This cold spell is just far too marginal and so far the ingredients are not here for a proper dumping of snow. We may have better luck between this week and mid March. On another note, very sorry to see DE has closed his account, he will be missed, as are all the other great people who are now gone from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Just to prove my point ME have temperatures around or even below freezing for both Sunday night and Monday night. :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

sleet starting to turn to snow in north kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 Buoy 11am: temp 3.5, DP -0.7
    Midday: temp 3.5, DP -0.3

DP, stop going up please!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just to prove my point ME have temperatures around or even below freezing for both Sunday night and Monday night. :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Latest Met Eireann up date for Munster a bit of a downgrade? Only snow in places! I fear the worst unless in an elevated area.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

sleet starting to turn to snow in north kilkenny
    Not here lucky u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Snowing here South Laois at 150M ASL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement