Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

I'm feeling like this at the moment, really peed off! Apparently -8 uppers above and constant drizzle on the ground!

12243289404451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Latest Met Eireann up date for Munster a bit of a downgrade? Only snow in places! I fear the worst unless in an elevated area.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Munster

Munster includes many areas with mild climates, including West Cork and parts of Kerry. It won't snow everywhere, but I suspect most of the areas away from the far southwest (and inland Kerry) might see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

everything has stopped here in citywest bright and sunny here now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Snowing here again the past half hour. Heavyish but wet stuff, all yesterday's snow all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So now is the time we all go down the slide yes???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Latest met e update is a definite downgrade for today

Mostly cloudy in the north and east with scattered outbreaks of rain or sleet, turning to snow on higher ground, but tending to die out this afternoon. Brighter in the west and south with isolated rain or hail showers affecting western coasts. Highest temperatures 2 to 4 degrees Celsius in the east, 5 to 7 degrees Celsius further west. Light to moderate, southeast to east or variable winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Using dew point calculator and taking the info from the latest Met Eireann weather reports according to the Phoenix Park automatic weather station, there's a negative dew point in that part of Dublin right now. Improves chances of snow I'd guess.

Phoenix Park: temp 2c, H 85%, DP -0.22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

bit of convection S of the Isle of Man on latest 12 15 radar

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Light snow here in Blessington, Co. Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Min wrote: »

It was that small bit on the radar that hit here, nothing much just light snow, virtually stopped now, but it did drag the temperature down, which is a good sign for anyone who wants snow.
    At the moment around here, evelation is what matters.
    There's an inch of snow down to just above coolgreaney in north wexford now and all across the hill below croghan 4 miles west of me.
    There were floods there yesterday so what is that a drop of snowline,where snow is settling by a good 1000ft?
    Mixed precip here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

It would be nice if we cud get rid off this cloud and let us have a hard frost tonite..low cloud and foggy misty weather here..temp 2.3..dew point 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Munster includes many areas with mild climates, including West Cork and parts of Kerry. It won't snow everywhere, but I suspect most of the areas away from the far southwest (and inland Kerry) might see it.

Yes I suppose seeing snow from these events very rare from my experience. We need a good hard frost tonight to get the cold air in before tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

eastmayo wrote: »
    It would be nice if we cud get rid off this cloud and let us have a hard frost tonite..low cloud and foggy misty weather here..temp 2.3..dew point 2.

Blizzarding again in the dublin mountains just up from kilakee rd. -2 temp and snow drifts everywhere. Spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Blizzarding again in the dublin mountains just up from kilakee rd. -2 temp and snow drifts everywhere. Spectacular.

Any pics? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Near carrickmacross In monaghan : http://db.tt/OHVRSpS9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As has been mentioned there is some development over the Irish Sea with 850hPa temps nearing -8c n the area maybe the trusty old Irish Sea will pump up some wintry showers.

temperature wise now, I would be watching the dp rather than the air temp. We **should be getting some dryer lower DPs but were not going to get the -2 DPs until after 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

fontenoy7 wrote: »

Good for u...try and get some pics...its all white here as well...by that i mean white with fog...sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

As has been mentioned there is some development over the Irish Sea with 850hPa temps nearing -8c n the area maybe the trusty old Irish Sea will pump up some wintry showers.

temperature wise now, I would be watching the dp rather than the air temp. We **should be getting some dryer lower DPs but were not going to get the -2 DPs until after 6pm
    Hope your right Weathercheck tempertures starting to rise where i am(suncroft) starting to loose faith if we will see anything in my area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Thx Weathercheck, sitting staring at a Air Temp all day will just send people spare. I really want those clouds above me to start appearing closure to the ground, until then its just a waiting game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

First image is radar at 12, second is radar at 12 45. As WC said, the Irish sea is bubbling up some showers. Not sure at this stage, but they will prob hit roughly from Dublin Airport Northwards (might be wrong here, I hope so cause that would mean no snow for me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mars rover

Up in Stepaside, mountains look brilliant some snow lying on the ground in places near the village mountsins look like a snow gun went mental on some of the trees higher up! but looking out over the sea it's very dark out there............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

patneve2 wrote: »
    First image is radar at 12, second is radar at 12 45. As WC said, the Irish sea is bubbling up some showers. Not sure at this stage, but they will prob hit roughly from Dublin Airport Northwards (might be wrong here, I hope so cause that would mean no snow for me!)

Interesting to note that there's no dreaded Isle of Man shadow. (yet :o)

Will Calibos escape the Anglesey shadow though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Bbc weather a few mins ago shows the band of rain approaching the southwest tomorrow eve but seems to fizzle out as it goes inland on monday.

patneve2 wrote: »

Yeah think so looks like say Donabate northwards to south Down at the moment but could grow/did out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A summary of my thoughts for Sunday night/Monday. Might be a failure of a forecast but sure. NOTE, RED AREA FOR ABOVE 300m ONLY!
    237061.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rain today forecast for 15.45 today, any idea how accurate the meteo group are?

Back to -1.1c DP at M2 buoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 Buoy 1pm: temp 3.3, DP -1.1

DP at midday was -0.3. Nice drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

thomasj wrote: »
    Rain today forecast for 15.45 today, any idea how accurate the meteo group are?

Ive used that for the past few years and seems to be quite accurate for Dublin anyway.

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    A summary of my thoughts for Sunday night/Monday. Might be a failure of a forecast but sure. NOTE, RED AREA FOR ABOVE 300m ONLY!

Looks about right. You left out the possibility of showers for the east and north though. *shakes fist* ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement