Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

At 42 hours. You can see the small area of darker purple in Wicklow (40cm), higher than the area in south Wales which is under a UK Met Office red warning. That should tell you what conditions would be like there if this models was right.

gzptT.jpg

Sooooo tempting to go up there on Saturday. Anyone know anywhere I can park at a relativity low altitude and make a good burst for one of the higher summits in 5/6 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rougies wrote: »
    That NAE run has any snowfall turning back to rain on Friday night for everywhere except Ulster and NE Connaught. This will probably change I know, but that's how it as it stands.

Yep, thats how it has looks. High ground would retain the snow and areas furthest north. For other places could be a real messy mix of heavy rain turning to snow then back to rain again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

589 people in here at the moment, I wonder why............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Saturday: Many areas will have a mainly dry day but some heavy, wintry showers will occur. A very cold day with top temperatures only 2 to 6 degrees and there will be a widespread severe or very severe air and ground frost Saturday night with icy patches.

Sunday: A bitterly cold day; highest temperatures only 1 to 5 degrees in a strong to gale force easterly wind. Many areas will have a dry morning, just a few wintry showers in the east and south. Heavy rain and sleet will move in across Munster and south Leinster during the afternoon and evening turning to sleet and snow here on Sunday night with cloudy conditions further north and patchy sleet and snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Lets hope gfs is a upgrade so we all get some snow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i've just moved to the coast in Louth .. so for the first winter i'm living about 500 meters from the sea ... I am assuming that any snow falling will be well away from me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Spindle wrote: »
    589 people in here at the moment, I wonder why............

Recession + Snow = Weather forum meltdown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

interesting to note that Casement reported 9 deg at 1500, and Dun Laoghaire Harbour currently is at 6.7 deg...colder uppers hugging the coast? seems strange to me...

Lets hope gfs is a upgrade so we all get some snow :P

It's an upgrade so far. Following the NAE, but not quite as impressive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like a slightly better 18h :) keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

GFS 850's look further west @ +18h to my untrained eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Uppers upgrade already on GFS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well its not a downgrade so far little better out to +24 not much but a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Small upgrade on the precipitation chart at +18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Already more west :)

Yeah GFS looking better :)
    Cold going further west

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    interesting to note that Casement reported 9 deg at 1500, and Dun Laoghaire Harbour currently is at 6.7 deg...colder uppers hugging the coast? seems strange to me...

Got to 9.4c here. It was sunny here for a while. I suspect Casement was similar.

I think there has been rain/and drizzle along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Cold uppers pushed North @ +t30h

GFS also agreeing with NAE on back to rain by Friday night unfortunately. Downgrade for Ulster too compared with previous GFS run and current NAE run too.
    This could be very messy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Saganist wrote: »

Looks like it. More rain - less snow! :rolleyes:

Saganist wrote: »
    Nooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

DOCARCH wrote: »

Looks like it. More rain - less snow! :rolleyes:
    Here we go again confused.com lol
    Upgrades upgrades and then a post like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Sooooo tempting to go up there on Saturday. Anyone know anywhere I can park at a relativity low altitude and make a good burst for one of the higher summits in 5/6 hours?

Depending on the snow line, park here (Not really a car park as map shows - that was just a filming day a few years ago). From here, you can walk up to the foot of Djouce Mountain. That will take about 20 min. You can then walk to the summit of Djouce (750m). Depending on the snow depth, this could take around 1.5 hours.

There should be a good covering of snow there from tomorrow on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BEASTERLY wrote: »

You can do any peak in Wicklow in 5 or 6 hours at a leisurely pace. Starting at the Glen of Imaal, you can do Lugnacoille up and down in 3 or 4 hours. Other options include starting on the Sally Gap road and sauntering up Mullaghcleevaun, which wouldn't take 2 hours up and down, or staring on the Wicklow Gap and sauntering up Tonlagee, which is about 90 minutes. If you aren't confident in navigating, then try starting in Glendalough and following one of the marked trails up to Mullacor or Lugduff. That way, you stay sheltered in forestry most of the way up, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm going pear-shaped on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Donny5 wrote: »
    You can do any peak in Wicklow in 5 or 6 hours at a leisurely pace. Starting at the Glen of Imaal, you can do Lugnacoille up and down in 3 or 4 hours. Other options include starting on the Sally Gap road and sauntering up Mullaghcleevaun, which wouldn't take 2 hours up and down, or staring on the Wicklow Gap and sauntering up Tonlagee, which is about 90 minutes. If you aren't confident in navigating, then try starting in Glendalough and following one of the marked trails up to Mullacor or Lugduff. That way, you stay sheltered in forestry most of the way up, too.

Familiar with Tonlagee but the road might be a bit high considering the conditions? Ill wait and see what actually happens first anyway. Thanks.

Villain wrote: »

Looks ok for Irish Sea showers at 54h

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Villain wrote: »
    Better by 7pm @ +54h, for East Coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

We have been hearing there is going to be a lashing of snow for some time now. Does anyone dare to say what are the chances this is actually going to happen % wise?

I have a feeling it will all just fizzle out. I hope I am wrong though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement