Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Some pretty beefy streamers being excreted by the Isle of Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nice intensification going on out at sea at 16:15 (on my old rusty raintoday for peasants)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Are you all just being optimistic (for snow) or is it actually likely to hit tonight? I ask as i have to go to Wicklow and if it snows I'll never get the car back down the hill tomorrow.:(

gbee wrote: »
    Refresh. It times out and does not update until a refresh. Try it and let me know?

Yeah I know that, thanks though, have it now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Rougies wrote: »
    Nice intensification going on out at sea at 16:15 (on my old rusty raintoday for peasants)

Out of my way Peasant :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

seems you have to be up at a decent height to see any snow from these showers rolling in across leinster .... maybe as the temp drops we might see some at lower levels, heres hoping:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp and DP very stubborn here today. 1.5c DP 0.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Deank wrote: »
    I thought that could be the case, Wicklow is been greedy this year, time to share the love and snow with Kildare

I'm afraid Wicklow cant help it being greedy, the majority of the county is above 200m asl! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Graupel type stuff here in Lusk, nice change from the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 12z gfs and ukmo now paint a serious picture for the South of the Country
    I would put it on par with the UK's red warning for Wales yesterday.
    Things have upgraded big time on this evening's runs and all now show snow for the South. There could be as much as 15-20cm's in favoured spots.
    I mentioned earlier that Cork and the South coast may miss out, not now!!
    Winds for the most part remain off shore which hugely boosts our chances.
    I think the South will basically close down from Monday morning until Wednesday.

Be interesting to see what the Met make of it later on.
    Expect an epic forecast for us Southerners, CORK fans your day has come!! :)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temp and DP very stubborn here today. 1.5c DP 0.8c atm.

We need everyone in the Zion Road area to put their hands in their pockets :D:o

(edit: nobody will get this)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Things have upgraded big time on this evening's runs and all now show snow for the South. There could be as much as 15-20cm's in favoured spots.
    I think the South will basically close down from Monday morning until Wednesday.

We will never hear the end of this :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Hurray! Revenge for 2010! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Thought i heard a thud, think it was leahyl fainting:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

good snow falling here in the last half an hour. Let it continue:D
    Where in north kk are u

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Light snow shower here in west Wexford @ 150 m asl. Skies to the east looking particularly dark.1.5 c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

shower number 1 about to hit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

It WONT happen :D:D:D .......... sighs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

howlinwolf wrote: »
    seems you have to be up at a decent height to see any snow from these showers rolling in across leinster .... maybe as the temp drops we might see some at lower levels, heres hoping:rolleyes:
    Would about 300ft do, not too far from Naas / Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

channaigh wrote: »
    Where in north kk are u
    on the kilkenny/carlow/laois border going to stick my neck on the line by saying we are possibly irelands snow capital:D:D

• Advertisement

well i personally think its overdue for the south coast esp cork as it gets the worst of the flooding when we get the bad weather .....just hope the models dont change and it comes off.....and this is coming from a dub;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Why are the Streamers forming in bands along a NW to SE axis rather than a NE to SW axis in snow trains like 2010 even though the wind is coming from the NE. On the one hand it means the showers will last 10 or 15 minutes, gap, 10 or 15 minutes gap etc rather than when the streamers are aligned along the axis of the wind where if one were in the firing line of a streamer one would stay under it for a couple of hours continuosly. However this way it means a wider distribution along the coast North to South so more people in with a shot all at the same time. ie. in 2010 if you weren't in line with a streamer you got nothing until the winds or the streamer train shifted north or south a bit.

ie. if it stays like this and the shower activity peps up a bit more as it gets dark I think most of the East coast will get a light dusting as opposed to a dotted line of places along the coast getting a lot and the places in between getting nothing.

Regardless, its a nice surprise to see the streamers coming from the NE. I thought it was a due East wind progged for today.

Oh yea, another thing. The showers are forming in the lee of the IOM !! Where is the shadow. Does this means its the lack of snow cover on the IOM that did us in in 2010. ie Cold air from UK got warmed up enough passing over the IOM back then to prevent prevent enough convection along that IOM shadow sea track. Is the fact that the IOM got snow cover in last nights event the reason why its not moderating the air from the UK along the IOM shadow track to actually create the shadow. Maybe that explains why the Antrim coast was getting streamers in 2010 with a sea track that was half the length of the IOM shadow. Do you not need as much sea track for convection of the uppers are even colder which they would have been over Scotland and NI back in 2010???

So many questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

on the kilkenny/carlow/laois border going to stick my neck on the line by saying we are possibly irelands snow capital:D:D

Oh ok so maybe it's on the way over to me near Johnstown

howlinwolf wrote: »
    well i personally think its overdue for the south coast esp cork as it gets the worst of the flooding when we get the bad weather .....just hope the models dont change and it comes off.....and this is coming from a dub;)

+1 If we miss out here, I'll happily let the south have it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its coming alrite :p
    237118.png

237119.png

237120.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble I don't see any precip in the charts anywhere near 15-20cm. I reckon 2-5cm in most places would sound more realistic. If anything the 12z is a downgrade to what we've been looking at earlier. The front is struggling to make headway onto land as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

pad199207 wrote: »
    It WONT happen :D:D:D .......... sighs ;)

What did you just say?! :mad: Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

DP at Howth now 0.0...

2709645_o.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can anyone point me in the direction of hourly DP readings for Casement please?

• Advertisement

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble I don't see any precip in the charts anywhere near 15-20cm. I reckon 2-5cm in most places would sound more realistic. If anything the 12z is a downgrade to what we've been looking at earlier. The front is struggling to make headway onto land as it is.

ah dont burst the bubble already its only about 5 min old:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement