Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble I don't see any precip in the charts anywhere near 15-20cm. I reckon 2-5cm in most places would sound more realistic. If anything the 12z is a downgrade to what we've been looking at earlier. The front is struggling to make headway onto land as it is.
    I'd be happy with a few cms of lying snow. Posted this in the other thread earlier.
    http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130119/12/45/uksnowdepth.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

The higher you go the more the snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

flanzer wrote: »
    DP at Howth now 0.0...

2709645_o.gif

+0.4 on my reading of it!! Geesh this is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

channaigh wrote: »
    Oh ok so maybe it's on the way over to me near Johnstown

well i was just looking at the rader on met eireann and if that is to be believed there is good chance of showers down the county

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble I don't see any precip in the charts anywhere near 15-20cm. I reckon 2-5cm in most places would sound more realistic. If anything the 12z is a downgrade to what we've been looking at earlier. The front is struggling to make headway onto land as it is.

That's good enough for most, so no bubbles to burst unfortunately. Still more than 24hrs away and still plenty of time for change, for better or for worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 buoy DP at 4pm was 0.3
    Phoenix Park, 0.22
    Casement Aerodrome 1.57
    Dublin Airport 0.07

Dundalk currently 1.5. Creeping up all afternoon here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of hourly DP readings for Casement please?

xcweather.co.uk, click on Casement Aerodrome and current Dew/Temp is shown in the observation panel on the right hand side (currently dewpoint of 1c and temp of 2c)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Yeah !!!!!!!! Cork !!!! The snow shield is broke (I hope) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of hourly DP readings for Casement please?

http://irelandsweather.com/
    Zoom in and hover your mouse over Casement temp.

2.5/0.6

This will be shleet or graupel, unless its intense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

+0.4 on my reading of it!! Geesh this is sad.

It went up just after I posted :-(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's good enough for most, so no bubbles to burst unfortunately. Still more than 24hrs away and still plenty of time for change, for better or for worse.

Well yeah any snow is better than none, but still, 15-20cm gives false hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

we really are living off the scraps here in ireland with this cold snap.....my patience is getting a little thin. when the forum started i was full of optimisim but its been bashed and bashed as the days go bye......someone give me some much needed hope......anyone:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It aint struggliing to make it to Cork CG
    And it can stop at our station all day:D
    He wont have enough diesel to make it too far North though so we will send on some photo's:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Calibos wrote: »
    Why are the Streamers forming in bands along a NW to SE axis rather than a NE to SW axis in snow trains like 2010 even though the wind is coming from the NE. On the one hand it means the showers will last 10 or 15 minutes, gap, 10 or 15 minutes gap etc rather than when the streamers are aligned along the axis of the wind where if one were in the firing line of a streamer one would stay under it for a couple of hours continuosly. However this way it means a wider distribution along the coast North to South so more people in with a shot all at the same time. ie. in 2010 if you weren't in line with a streamer you got nothing until the winds or the streamer train shifted north or south a bit.

ie. if it stays like this and the shower activity peps up a bit more as it gets dark I think most of the East coast will get a light dusting as opposed to a dotted line of places along the coast getting a lot and the places in between getting nothing.

Regardless, its a nice surprise to see the streamers coming from the NE. I thought it was a due East wind progged for today.

Oh yea, another thing. The showers are forming in the lee of the IOM !! Where is the shadow. Does this means its the lack of snow cover on the IOM that did us in in 2010. ie Cold air from UK got warmed up enough passing over the IOM back then to prevent prevent enough convection along that IOM shadow sea track. Is the fact that the IOM got snow cover in last nights event the reason why its not moderating the air from the UK along the IOM shadow track to actually create the shadow. Maybe that explains why the Antrim coast was getting streamers in 2010 with a sea track that was half the length of the IOM shadow. Do you not need as much sea track for convection of the uppers are even colder which they would have been over Scotland and NI back in 2010???

So many questions :D

Firstly there not streamers, there just showers. :)

Also, regards to the lack of a shadow, it's most likely these showers are just the remains of yesterdays and today's front, pepping up abit as the front floats back west due to changing winds. Once the front completely passes and dies, then I say the shadow will appear once more. Hopefully convection will become explosive for a time later when it gets much colder, not much on current offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

2.5/0.6

This will be shleet or graupel, unless its intense

Shouldn't it start falling after 6ish?

Well yeah any snow is better than none, but still, 15-20cm gives false hopes!

Presumably that would be for high altitude areas, like the Kerry Mountains? I seriously doubt he was implying that Cork city centre will be seeing 20 cms. Sure even a cm sends the place into chaos. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

John.Icy wrote: »

Firstly there not streamers, there just showers. :)

Also, regards to the lack of a shadow, it's most likely these showers are just the remains of yesterdays and today's front, pepping up abit as the front floats back west due to changing winds. Once the front completely passes and dies, then I say the shadow will appear once more. Hopefully convection will become explosive for a time later when it gets much colder, not much on current offerings.

Looks like the south and southwest is going to get some overdue snow. How is tomorrow night/Monday looking for the East?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Live on the coast, in dublin and have to say i've given up. Been hoping and praying but this ain't happening. Sickening looking at the uk, the north, cavan, longford etc.

Anyway i'm out:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

On the latest HIRLAM the precip coming in Sunday/Monday is even further west and limited only to the southwest. You wouldn't want to see any further shifts westward there...

• Advertisement

Not a drop of precip here.

On the latest HIRLAM the precip coming in Sunday/Monday is even further west and limited only to the southwest. You wouldn't want to see any further shifts westward there...

But increased risk of the frontal feature over England late tomorrow feeding to affect northern parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Live on the coast, in dublin and have to say i've given up. Been hoping and praying but this ain't happening. Sickening looking at the uk, the north, cavan, longford etc.

Anyway i'm out:(

The potential is just starting. Check back in an hour or two ;)

It aint struggliing to make it to Cork CG
    And it can stop at our station all day:D
    He wont have enough diesel to make it too far North though so we will send on some photo's:D:D

Christ we're so IMBY-ish! Here's hoping the rest of the country gets pasted as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

Temperature 1.4c Dew Point-0.7 °C here snow falling steadily for the past hour and seems to be getting heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Thanks maq, have you a link to that hirlam you mention?

To a question earlier, the atmosphere is now definitely colder, however the action of the development of these showers mixes the air so with intense showers you get a mixing of the warm Irish sea into the air. However when these showers grow intense enough they will will quickly bring down the air temp in precipitation. And i would suspect instead of rain, in this type of cold atmosphere we may see graupel or hail type precip instead. With the cold uppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Woke up this morning to snow showers outside. Didn't last long but left about 1/2cm of snow around my house. I'm about 20/30m ASL in N. Wexford and can see the coast about 10 miles away. Seems as if I was on the boundary for snow as there wasn't any about 2 minutes down the road and none all the way to the east coast. Higher hills to my west had a great bit of cover though. First bit of snow around the house since Jan 2011, delighted. Expected nothing towards the south eastern coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418HIRLAM looking lovely for Sunday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

So what's your honest feeling? Few showers here and there nothing major going to happen??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement