Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

snowjon wrote: »
    Snowing here!

Potentialy a proper streaming setting up for you Snowjon. Formed on the tip of IOM, building as a proper streamer and not part of the frontal drizzle showers further South.

Good luck with it, hopefully it can build and intensify further. :)

Edit; beaten by WC.

Roadtrip to Snowjons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I think this weekend has delivered everything that was forecast. Maybe some people didn't quite understand what was actually expected?

Like the front stalling and passing back down Ireland delivery at least a snow shower to all parts of Ireland, including Cork.

The front dropped perhaps more rain than was expected, did stall, did drop some snow and all but dissipated, it's making it's way back down the country now, but snow is really remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

2.0 / 0.2 here now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I'm off to the pub, best place to watch the weather from !! :pac:

Could you guys post up some charts from the 12z ECM run if you could ?

Would really appreciate it :)

My forecast for the pub - Dry and mild with infrequent strong streamers caused by a mass of moisture passing through the body.

Not sure if you know but there is a Meteociel app for android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It has been snowing here for a while now, starting to settle on the car, it is fine snowrather than large flakes.
    Current temperature 1.0C with a dewpoint of -0.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Min wrote: »
    It has been snowing here for a while now, starting to settle on the car, it is fine snowrather than large flakes.
    Where are you?? Which location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Where are you?? Which location?

As the crow flies it is 6 mile north east of kilkenny. It is probably rain or sleet in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

think im using your weather station min. the snow is starting to stick to the grass wonder how long it would have to snow before it sticks to the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

200motels wrote: »
    I think the south is going either to get plastered in snow from tomorrow evening onwards or as usually happens the dreaded rain, I know I'm covering all angles but we've been disappointed so much before. What's others take on it will we get the snow down here.
    Waterford city,tram ore,the gold coast - rain
    Grange west snow.
    NW cork snow.
    Cork city rain,though snow out at airport.
    That's my guess for now.
    East cork county coast rain,chance of snow inland and with elevation is 60% or so above 600ft

Could be better or worse than that..
    Hilly parts of NW and north cork should see snow as should the likes of fermoy and on into Tipp eg Roscrea.
    I'd expect towns like Macroom and Millstreet in Cork to see snow and higher areas between,a lot of it.

Kerry should see snow as should Clare with an Easterly feed of surface air into the front.

All that could change but if in those areas,no harm being nervously excited in the coming now cast.
    Best of luck down there if its snow ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

IMO the precipitation has taken on a more easterly flow in the last 30mins, so it looks like hitting from Dublin ---> northwards and totally missing Kildare!! Hopefully I'm wrong :) plus I don't think it will amount to much anyways, the precipitation looks very light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

As the crow flies it is 6 mile north east of kilkenny. It is probably rain or sleet in the city.

And I'm 12 miles north of Kilkenny top of a hill and nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

suspense.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

zero snow here. not too far from you min either i reckon. cloud filing in now, gone real cold in the last hour, easterly wind picking up too.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    2.0 / 0.2 here now !
    2.7/-0.4 in Arklow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Ye lads are speaking another language to me!! Can any of you tell me it there is a chance of snow in Galway? Oh and Longford? Friend has a match there tomorrow and wants to know if he should have a Guinness or not!!

No snow around there tonight I reckon, light dusting in Galway Sunday night is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

AloKildare wrote: »
    IMO the precipitation has taken on a more easterly flow in the last 30mins,

Concur: A big blob over Cork and exiting southwards has literally shot westwards to Schull.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Back to a heavier mix of graupel and sleet (I think) in Lusk now.

Edit - stopped again, only a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is there ANY snow forecast for the Dublin region, like the suburbs? I mean surburbs that are not very high asl, but not too low either. Any chance at all? Been all rain in rathgar since friday morning:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Official figures show Lough Fea in County Tyrone had the highest recorded snowfall in the UK on Friday with 30cms.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21097517

Over a foot to a foot and a half in the drifts here on the hills.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

200m ASL in North West Cork here, really confident of snow here plus expect some in the surrounding region.

Am I thinking right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Good documentary on the 63 big freeze on bbc2 now, serious amounts of snow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

marno21 wrote: »
    200m ASL in North West Cork here, really confident of snow here plus expect some in the surrounding region.

Probably the best place for snow chances Sunday night/monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

17.30 Radar is after pissing me off.. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

This front is a pain, as long at it is still straddling the East, proper convection just won't kick off yet bar further North. It's basically smothering the whole party, further North you go the better. The front is clearing and dying though, as seen by the streamer currently happening towards Bangor which isn't front related, but further South everything else pretty much is.

Wind carrying the precip. is now more East, meaning you'd want to be North Dublin and further North to see anything much later, South Dublin say hello to the Anglessy shadow. Further South, just enough sea fetch, whether anything get's going is another question.

Good luck N.Dublin, Meath, Louth and Antrim with these incoming small showers, I hope they bring snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

That streamer heading for Bangor/Belfast/Carrickfergus is seriously impressive. It's like some sort of flame thrower!

Enjoy it up there folks

Edit: Notice the Isle of Man shadow too! Painful memories for us Dublin folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Most of Cork looks very good, you can expect to see even better the further inland of higher up you are. 200 metres is quite high. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Unless there is a significant change then you should be good for tomorrow night.

When did you last have snow there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Any snow projected for the North East tonight?

John.Icy wrote: »
    This front is a pain, as long at it is still straddling the East, proper convection just won't kick off yet bar further North. It's basically smothering the whole party, further North you go the better. The front is clearing and dying though, as seen by the streamer currently happening towards Bangor which isn't front related, but further South everything else pretty much is.

Wind carrying the precip. is now more East, meaning you'd want to be North Dublin and further North to see anything later, South Dublin say hello to the Anglessy shadow.

Good luck N.Dublin, Meath, Louth and Antrim with these incoming small showers, I hope they bring snow.
    Ah now,the good people south of greystones and down to wexford, wouldn't they be out of the angle sea shadow and have a fair fetch from cardigan bay with cold enough 850's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Some massive snowflakes falling here just at the moment - roughly 50p size or bigger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement