Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

snowjon wrote: »
    Some massive snowflakes falling here just at the moment - roughly 50p size or bigger

So jealous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Snowing in baltinglass Wicklow.

first post in the weather forum after watching for months

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

A bit off topic but a very interesting read from ME about historic cold spells and blizzards dating back 200 years:

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf

neddynono wrote: »
    Snowing in baltinglass Wicklow.

first post in the weather forum after watching for months

Are you getting heavy snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Deank wrote: »
    Are you getting heavy snow?

No. Just light snow at the minute. First snow we've had which is surprising as we are beside the Wicklow mountains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A bit off topic but a very interesting read from ME about historic cold spells and blizzards dating back 200 years:

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf

Poor choice of file name on that pdf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Still nothing at all in Gorey. Not looking good

neddynono wrote: »
    No light snow at the minute. First snow we've had which is surprising as we are beside the Wicklow mountains

The eastern side of the mountains gobbled it all up and left the western side with nought but rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Soft_Day

It's not looking good for snow, boardsies

Twill be a nice soft day on Monday - so don't worry work/school/college won't be cancelled and you will have to show up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oscar_00123

Just been up Mt. Leinster, temp was -1.0ºC with sleety rain! :-( How is this possible? However there was some snow cover!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Is it going to be a wet summer?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not looking good for Drogheda it's just rain and sleet mix ground is soaked. Someone give me good news for Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM on board for Monday's snowfall
    Expecting epic Met Eireann forecasts over the next 24hours, esp for the South

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

snowjon wrote: »
    Snowing here!

Sure it's always snowing on The Wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

whitebriar wrote: »
    Ah now,the good people south of greystones and down to wexford, wouldn't they be out of the angle sea shadow and have a fair fetch from cardigan bay with cold enough 850's?

Yes probably. I meant until the front is completely removed from the situation, anywhere South of North Dublin won't see much convection kicking off till such a time is reached.

Whether anything starts to form properly further South is another question. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Does the ECM model show precipitation? I can find uppers and air pressure no bother but not any precipitation option:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 buoy 6pm: DP is 0.1

Same as at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

That's good.How's it looking for the west on ECM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

ecm096.gif

ecm196t.gif

For t/nt/t

Also I looked out my window at exactly 6pm and could have sworn I saw snow mixed in with the rain ;)

Looking at the radar that streamer keeps building heading towards Bangor, it's a bomb, enjoy the snow Northy Boardsies....:( Am not jealous in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

yorlum11 wrote: »
    That's good.How's it looking for the west on ECM?[/Quote

Once again, I am if the opinion that there will be no snow anywhere except on high ground in the south and west and that the best place at low levels is once again csvan, monaghan and other inland counties of northern half of ireland plus o f course dublin and wicklow uplands which will get hammered again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

The ECM is still looking good till at least Thursday/Friday but then after we could be in for a short less cold incursion (UKMO/GFS are indicating this) to bring us to the end of the month, lets hope the pros/MT are right that if this should happen the cold will preform a massive rebound from the NE and send us into the freezer proper!

ecm1120.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

When is the front due to move on?
    John.Icy wrote: »
    Yes probably. I meant until the front is completely removed from the situation, anywhere South of North Dublin won't see much convection kicking off till such a time is reached.

Whether anything starts to form properly further South is another question. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Dp has dropped to 0.6 here in Dundalk.

Rain with bits of sleet at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Unless there is a significant change then you should be good for tomorrow night.

When did you last have snow there?
    IIRC last good snowfall (good enough) was December 14 2011. (Remember that day cause I had to be somewhere and it was the one night I was praying for snow :P)

Thanks for inspiring confidence in me lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

As promised, here's some pics from ticknock earlier

Edit: that didn't work, I'm on mobile. Ill upload them all later...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Does the ECM model show precipitation? I can find uppers and air pressure no bother but not any precipitation option:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

On the MSL layer on Wundermap.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

fontenoy7 wrote: »

Once again, I am if the opinion that there will be no snow anywhere except on high ground in the south and west and that the best place at low levels is once again csvan, monaghan and other inland counties of northern half of ireland plus o f course dublin and wicklow uplands which will get hammered again.

This made me laugh,.....no snow anywhere....except cavan, inland counties of northern Ireland, Dublin and Wicklow. Thats quite a few areas, probably about a fifth of the country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

fontenoy7 wrote: »

This has to be ffarrel or whatever his name was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Game over for Dublin south of about Swords for the next few hours at least, probably for the night. Good luck to those further north, Co. Down/South Antrim and parts of Armagh and Louth are the places to be (if you don;t get stuck in the IOM shadow!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement