Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Defcol wrote: »
    When is the front due to move on?

It's just about died it's death now.

The Precip. at the latitude of Louth/Antrim should start pepping up now out to sea as the IOM is now aiding slight streamer development on it's Southern tip along with the Northern tip one currently over Bangor. Ever colder uppers arriving and the disappearance of the front should really help it get going, not certain it will though, Easterlies are much more fickle than N.Easterlies and carry much less precip usually.

South of Louth/North Dublin sadly looks like diddly squat. Though in a an hour or two something might crop up.

How funny is it seeing the IOM shadow over the middle of Down? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ECM on board for Monday's snowfall
    Expecting epic Met Eireann forecasts over the next 24hours, esp for the South

The problem I see as per Hirlam is that it may be cold enough but we might have no precipitation?!!! Any views on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Ok, take two - heres some pics of ticknock:

CZwqRY5.jpg

TyZPsti.jpg

WsCzojL.jpg

It was pretty snowy, with poor conditions on the open hillside - low visability above 450m and cold with driving snow flurries. Later in the afternoon, the snow died down, but the visability remained poor.

I have some short video also:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John.Icy wrote: »

The Precip. at the latitude of Louth/Antrim should start pepping up now out to sea as the IOM is now aiding slight streamer development on it's Southern tip along with the Northern tip one currently over Bangor. Ever colder uppers arriving and the disappearance of the front should really help it get going, not certain it will though, Easterlies are much more fickle than N.Easterlies and carry much less precip usually.

South of Louth/North Dublin sadly looks like diddly squat. Though in a an hour or two something might crop up.

How funny is it seeing the IOM shadow over the middle of Antrim? :D

Dublin wasn't ment to get anything tonight. Will even struggle tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Beginning to turn to snow here in Dundalk. Flakes visible via the lamp post test!

EDIT: current temp 1.2, DP 0.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Dublin wasn't ment to get anything tonight. Will even struggle tomorrow night.

Wrong. The winds are more NE than were forecast so the streamers are aiming further north. If they were more easterly Dublin could have got hammered. There's loads of potential from the Irish Sea as you would know if you were in Bangor right now! Dublin just got unlucky ;)

Edit: just noticed that the showers have taken a more easterly turn east of Dublin. The ones heading into NI are still heading NE, but maybe they'll follow later!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Here's hopin Navan is north enough!! :) That Isle Of Man shadow has gotten us a few times! ;)
    John.Icy wrote: »

How funny is it seeing the IOM shadow over the middle of Down? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Beginning to turn to snow here in Dundalk. Flakes visible via the lamp post test!

I was staring a lamp post out my window for an hour last night convinced I was seeing snow. All I got was sore neck!

Rougies wrote: »

Wrong. The winds are more NE than were forecast so the streamers are aiming further north. If they were more easterly Dublin could have got hammered. There's loads of potential from the Irish Sea as you would know if you were in Bangor right now! Dublin just got unlucky ;)

How could dublin get hammer when the temp is too high?

ECM on board for Monday's snowfall
    Expecting epic Met Eireann forecasts over the next 24hours, esp for the South

No one mentioned it on the page for model discussion. Any reason why?

• Advertisement

Dublin Airport: 1c DP -0.6

And the temps drop with any moderate/heavy precipitation. Temperatures are not too high. They could do with being a bit lower alright, but they're just the right side of marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

wishful thinking ;)

That onshore breeze would murder snow potential!

pad199207 wrote: »
    wishful thinking ;)

That onshore breeze would murder snow potential!

So what's happening in Bangor then? Are the showers traveling over the Baltic sea up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Winds turning into a north easterly over northern England. Which will peep up the snow showers coming in off the irish sea...

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Kippure wrote: »
    Winds turning into a north easterly over northern England. Which will peep up the snow showers coming in off the irish sea...

Yeah I noticed that too. I was jsut about to throw in the towel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Not liking the smart comments and sniping around here the last day or two! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Yeah I noticed that too. I was jsut about to throw in the towel.

Is there any hope for South co Dublin?

Is there any hope for South co Dublin?

A glimmer. Definite easterly shift going on now.

A glimmer. Definite easterly shift going on now.
    Nothing on TV so might as well watch the lampost

Ah shower and streamer from the east watching on radar, nothing quite like it! :), wouldnt trust any of that stuff coming in off the Atlantic! Good to see potential for South and West folk getting some action! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

After a brief lull, massive snowflakes are falling again

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Hasn't got over 2deg all day in south west Dublin 100m asl. 0 deg at the moment. Dp is -1. Not too warm at all just no precip!!!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ah shower and streamer from the east watching on radar, nothing quite like it! :), wouldnt trust any of that stuff coming in off the Atlantic! Good to see potential for South and West folk getting some action! :)

My car temp says 1c where I live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Anyone have a link for the latest NAE precipitation charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

We're getting light snow in Belfast at the minute but it's not sticking yet.

Although we had about 10/11 hours of snow yesterday it has mostly melted today so the ground is very wet and slushy - still managed to build a snowman though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Car said 4.5 C 5 mins later 2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Everything is turning white here - rapidly becoming a winter wonderland and I'm right on the coast

snowjon wrote: »
    Everything is turning white here - rapidly becoming a winter wonderland and I'm right on the coast

Keep an ear and eye out for Thundersnow! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

snowjon wrote: »

Are you able to get any pics? :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement