Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Some streamers in Dublin would be nice:D but currently the temp is 2.6C and DP of 1.6C
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

am i right in thinking thats it for dublin for a couple of weeks? ME showing no precip for us for the rest of the week on the 5 day forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ME is not much better than looking out your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

am i right in thinking thats it for dublin for a couple of weeks? ME showing no precip for us for the rest of the week on the 5 day forecast

You may well see some light snow during tomorrow and potentially some into Monday if the front makes its way up to Dublin but its not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Any chance of Snow in Allenwood near Naas???

• Advertisement

bangor getting buried in the white stuff looking at the radar..... oh how i wish it was here

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

East east east Dublin Dublin Dublin that's all we here every year, there a lot more to Ireland folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

davidsr20 wrote: »
    East east east Dublin Dublin Dublin that's all we here every year, there a lot more to Ireland folks!

There's only anything happening in the east right now. We'll be talking about the south and west from tomorrow, don;t worry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Motorway webcam near Belfast - the Irish sea really can deliver great snow events. I just wish it was 2010 again for us down south!

rc28 wrote: »
    Motorway webcam near Belfast - the Irish sea really can deliver great snow events. I just wish it was 2010 again for us down south!

I'm about to explode with jealousy to be honest. Selfish I know, we've had our turn I suppose.

• Advertisement

streamer to the south of IOM looks like to me..... am i wrong? what would that mean for the east coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

I'm not being smart but maybe set up a West/South Ireland Winter/Snow Thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

snowjon wrote: »
    Everything is turning white here - rapidly becoming a winter wonderland and I'm right on the coast

So many people from Down posting about the snow! clearly THE place to be righ now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

East east east Dublin Dublin Dublin that's all we here every year, there a lot more to Ireland folks![/

And you have just added to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

There are more Dubs watching and posting in the Weather forum than from other parts of the country, hence the Dublin centric feel of the forum. That's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

rc28 wrote: »
    No thanks.,...that was a bastard of a winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Rougies wrote: »
    There's only anything happening in the east right now. We'll be talking about the south and west from tomorrow, don;t worry ;)
    The only problem Roughies is that there is nothing happening in the east,well apart from that streamer up north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Rougies wrote: »

So which is it :p
    A bit of both I would say. Streamers can and do form out of nothing in the middle of a lake. Look at the Great Lakes snow for instance.
    I would say the IOM can help kick them off though. It certainly looks that way anyway. Both now and in 2010
    No the IOM doesn't kick them off,it interrupts the fetch so you get your Iom shadow.
    Shower trains are usually either above or below it as a flow over the Iom dries out and has to start again picking up moisture at the other side.Also depending on the 850 air being low enough.
    And yes Irish sea streamers as we know them are the same principle as lake effect snow.

delw wrote: »
    The only problem Roughies is that there is nothing happening in the east,well apart from that streamer up north

Tell me about it :rolleyes:
    At least there's potential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm not being smart but maybe set up a West/South Ireland Winter/Snow Thread :)

Why would we do that,boards.ie is country wide,clearly ur post just now says it all trying to single out Dublin from the rest?
    It's easy to include the whole country in fairness,some put up a precipitation map a while ago with just Dublin on it wft!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Oh if only we had some precip, dp's at m2 now -0.1 !

-1.0 at 8pm. Keep going........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

anybody know if the wind is due to change direction anytime soon? any hope of a NE developing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Something falling here in Mount Merrion, Dublin, Too light to tell what it is yet.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

whitebriar wrote: »
    Its not the IOM that fires off showers,its just a reference point.
    Its fetch,ie the length of sea track the cold air passes over,the longer the better and obviously the bigger the difference between the 850 temps and the sea temp the better.
    Yes in my experience easterlies are dryer than northeasterlies due to shorter fetch than say a diagonal Ne down the Irish sea.
    They're usually not bad for Dublin but just not as good.

While showers would form anyway, it's surely the IOM responsible for streamers we get?? As in, the fixed thin bands of precip, lasting hours at times. Just like in a beefy N/NW'erly a massive streamer can kick off from the IOM SE tip and head into Wales and UK. Although we'll never properly know unless the IOM disappears, but it definately seems the culprit behind the formation of the streamers and not just rub of the mill showers.

But you'd be far more knowledgeable than me so I'll take your word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Why would we do that,boards.ie is country wide,clearly ur post just now says it all trying to single out Dublin from the rest?
    It's easy to include the whole country in fairness,some put up a precipitation map a while ago with just Dublin on it wft!

clint-eastwood-cannot-unsee-what-has-been-seen-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-174.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

anybody know if the wind is due to change direction anytime soon? any hope of a NE developing??

Currently underway

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Kippure wrote: »
    Currently underway

Wish I could just change the arrows on that chart myself... :D

mauritius-wind.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Painful memories :( . I pity the snow addicts in this IOM shadow

shadowfq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

This was fun in years gone by, see if conditions are right for snow where you are, all you need is the local temperature and humidity...

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowProbCalc?calc=yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Kippure wrote: »
    Currently underway

I certainly hope it changes but over northern England many of the stations are just straight ENE or easterly; we need to see way more of a north easterly trend over there I think. Having said that, I do remember in 2010 that sometimes the surface winds would be blowing one direction but the upper winds (that were blowing the showers) would be coming from a different direction.

Edit: I've looked back at the recorded observations and they do seem to have been turning gradually to the north east. Let's hope it continues!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement