Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Got to 9.4c here. It was sunny here for a while. I suspect Casement was similar.

I think there has been rain/and drizzle along the coast.

An appealingly wet and windy day since about 10am along the Dublin coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Nice bit of cold creeping down at +60h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The uppers chart at +30 doesn't seem great for alot of the country, but there seems to be a battleground for northern parts of Ulster. There are, what, roughly -1 uppers on the Louth/Armagh border while -8's are grazing the Antrim coast. A fair contrast for less than 100 miles distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

We have been hearing there is going to be a lashing of snow for some time now. Does anyone dare to say what are the chances this is actually going to happen % wise?

I have a feeling it will all just fizzle out. I hope I am wrong though!

For Dublin, I would say you will see snow fall at some stage, but only 5- 10% for snow sticking at low elevations tomorrow, ie marginal, considerably higher in the mountains.

Tomorrow's event is very very marginal. Better chance of snow on Monday/Sunday, but don't get excited until you see the Sunday morning forecasts.

Nothing is ever locked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I think this is going down to the wire (in & around Dublin), it's so close at 60h & 66h you can smell it, hope the 18 brings an upgrade...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Familiar with Tonlagee but the road might be a bit high considering the conditions? Ill wait and see what actually happens first anyway. Thanks.

Yeah, if the snow comes down, then to be honest, none of the suggestions are really safe. Even getting to Laragh at times during the big freeze took 4WDs and the right tires. Going near the Sally Gap is a bad idea in icy or snowy weather unless you have the above and a winch. If the R755 is clear, then starting in Glendalough is your best bet, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

I think there is a much better chance on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday for Dublin area. Definite snow on high ground as of this evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Rougies wrote: »

Looks ok for Irish Sea showers at 54h
    Can someone that knows there stuff tell us what's happening on sat please as there's a bit of a downer on it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TV4Ever

Check out the UKMO. Much better than GFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dont generally care about what BBC have to say about weather in Republic of Ireland but they have snow for east Ireland from 3am through tomorrow.

Will just have to see how things pan out, upgrades, downgrades then upgrades again followed by downgrades, never seen so many twists and turns. crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

No real difference in the GFS worth noting. Any changes are so small out to 84 hours that high res models will show bigger differences anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sunday night looks promising for all but its at +87h i will be keeping the bubbly on ice for a while:D Alot of swings and roundabouts to come before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Depending on the snow line, park here (Not really a car park as map shows - that was just a filming day a few years ago). From here, you can walk up to the foot of Djouce Mountain. That will take about 20 min. You can then walk to the summit of Djouce (750m). Depending on the snow depth, this could take around 1.5 hours.

There should be a good covering of snow there from tomorrow on.

Is there not a locked gate on that piece of land?? ie. it was only opened up by the land owner for the film production and the gate is locked generally.

I've often thought that spot would be perfect for stargazing sessions. Our groups attendance has grown so much that we've outgrown some of our other favoured spots. Counted over 100 cars in that aerial view a few weeks ago. You could actually have a full on starparty with room for a shed load of cars and scopes.

However, the last time I was up there the gate was locked and google streetview shows a locked gate too.

Anyway, irrelevent for the purposes of the question poser. Theres some parking space just a little further up the road to the north.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There are a load of crows here today going absolutely nuts! Maybe they now its going to snow! ;)

The 12Z UKMO +12 and +18 uppers charts aren't good for snow me thinks.:(.

Better at +24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Why does that not surprise me, Wicklow mountains are just unreal for snow. Might go up there and take some photos at the weekend if it's even accessible!!! They are like the scottish highlands when it comes to snow. Ski resort potential :-)))

If only they really had ski resort potential though!
    You could run it once every 3-4 years id say. Thats the way they run the resorts in northern england in the pennines at 600m. They dont open most years but when they do open, they make the most of it.
    Kippure is fairly accessible and that ski run in spring 2010 on the north east slope was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ha stock up on sleep because you won't get any Sunday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In that case, perhaps I should take Monday off......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Depending on the snow line, park here (Not really a car park as map shows - that was just a filming day a few years ago). From here, you can walk up to the foot of Djouce Mountain. That will take about 20 min. You can then walk to the summit of Djouce (750m). Depending on the snow depth, this could take around 1.5 hours.

There should be a good covering of snow there from tomorrow on.

Is rambling around the Wicklow Mountains in heavy snow a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Calibos wrote: »
    Is there not a locked gate on that piece of land?? ie. it was only opened up by the land owner for the film production and the gate is locked generally.

Yeah, as I said in my post, it was only for filming. The gate is always closed (it is private land). There are plenty of places to park outside the gate/along the road however.

• Advertisement

Evil_g wrote: »

Yes, of course. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Would you like that coffin in Teak or Mahogonay Sir?

Better uppers for the northern area of the country at +30 and +36 on the UKMO. Snow still possible. But the transition from rain to snow may be later than initially thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The GME way of handling tonight's low pressure cell is the way we want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Handy way to make the six one news.

GFS sticks to its guns and ends the cold spell quicker on this run post 120. I fear we know the way this will go from recent experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS sticks to its guns and ends the cold spell quicker on this run post 120. I fear we know the way this will go from recent experience.

Highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A pretty poor GFS for prospects of a sustained, more cold spell. Sad to see things aren't going to way of yesterday's ECM & GEM. Hopefully its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Really? Are we looking at the same charts? +126, +132 and +138 has -6 uppers pushing West again and skirting the North and East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Donny5 wrote: »
    Yeah, if the snow comes down, then to be honest, none of the suggestions are really safe. Even getting to Laragh at times during the big freeze took 4WDs and the right tires. Going near the Sally Gap is a bad idea in icy or snowy weather unless you have the above and a winch. If the R755 is clear, then starting in Glendalough is your best bet, I think.

A safe enough place to go would be to glencree. You would still need snow socks or chains there. But there is plenty of traffic about so you shouldnt end up in a ditch on your own. From there its only a 40min walk (in deep snow) to the kippure gates. And then another 1hr (in deep snow) to the top of kippure.

But the snow is usually epic by the time you get to the kippure gates. The gates could well be buried under the snow! I have pictures somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement