Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Kippure wrote: »
    Currently underway

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
    I don't think it will turn north easterly ... Can't see what will make it..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I don't think it will turn north easterly ... Can't see what will make it..

Me too! I can't see it changing. Not forecast too. There are however a few light showers coming out of Wales atm, but, I would not hold my breath - a little snizzle maybe at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There are more Dubs watching and posting in the Weather forum than from other parts of the country, hence the Dublin centric feel of the forum. That's just the way it is.

Monday it'll be the real capital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

John.Icy wrote: »

While showers would form anyway, it's surely the IOM responsible for streamers we get?? As in, the fixed thin bands of precip, lasting hours at times. Just like in a beefy N/NW'erly a massive streamer can kick off from the IOM SE tip and head into Wales and UK. Although we'll never properly know unless the IOM disappears, but it definately seems the culprit behind the formation of the streamers and not just rub of the mill showers.

But you'd be far more knowledgeable than me so I'll take your word for it.
    See my last post regarding what we on this forum affectionately ( :D ) call the isle of man shadow.
    To answer your last question, if there was no IOM upwind of you,then the extra fetch,along with the absence of atmosphere drying the IOM causes,would mean more showers downwind, if the difference between 850 temps and sea temps was big enough.

Where the showers form is the point along the winds journey that the air has fetched enough moisture.That's what fetch means here.
    There's no moisture to fetch on the land mass of the Isle of man but there is a mountain to dry out what's already been fetched meaning a shower famine downwind of it.
    The Iom does receive streamers in a northerly if they form off the west of Scotland and make it through the north channel.

That's as layman a further explanation I can give you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

gbee wrote: »

Make me laugh...Cork never gets snow. Well hardly ever....dublin has had sleet, snow and blizzards over the past few days with the heavy snow grant it on higher ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

gbee wrote: »

It sure will for the south lol :)

can anyone give an indication as to the chances of Wexford coastal areas getting any snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

3 hours of snow now from this streamer and it's still going - about an inch of snow on the ground:

IMG_1318_zps054ff838.jpg

IMG_1308_zpsed79066b.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsf88700ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gilally

What are the predictions for north west over the coming days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

ME update after saying snow / wintry conditions for the east tomorrow and monday?????

how, when nobody else can see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Make me laugh...Cork never gets snow. Well hardly ever....dublin has had sleet, snow and blizzards over the past few days with the heavy snow grant it on higher ground.

Give it a rest ffffffarrell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just Two pics taken today on Hills near Blessington

BCAA9D8E896D45ECAA511CC10EB01A35-0000334566-0003134500-00800L-D8F9CC2D0FB94709AB78FFAB1A5A8D71.jpg

0C40E0FDAB0E441DB4E3874C01CFF60B-0000334566-0003134499-00800L-B0CD7D323DE1411E91943DCF05B849A7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Give it a rest ffffffarrell

Who is she/he????

No snow for cork/kerry or south of north tipperary in my opinion. Too mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Spitting snow in Mount Merrion now...

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ME update after saying snow / wintry conditions for the east tomorrow and monday?????

HIRLAM model does show light precip moving into the northeast/east late tomorrow and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

snowjon wrote: »
    3 hours of snow now from this streamer and it's still going - about an inch of snow on the ground:

IMG_1318_zps054ff838.jpg

IMG_1308_zpsed79066b.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsf88700ed.jpg
    just hope we can get some this side of the country tomorrow those pic make me sick with sadness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

great pic by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

I'm in Clonskeagh and not a bloody flake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Hirlam here does not show much precipitation making it east or north of Kerry Cork Limerick Clare tomorrow night

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebchartshirlamopukrain.php

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

I'm near whites cross and we have none :((

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Will Waterford City see any snow tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Speak Now

200motels wrote: »
    Afraid not, wonder is there any on Comeraghs? Might take the kids up tomorrow for my fix lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

200motels wrote: »

Not tomorrow, maybe Monday but it depends how far east it gets, at the moment it looks like you'd be just on the edge so could be very light and might just be sleet anyway because of being near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

oooh just to have that distinctly orange sky when it snows and the peaceful silence that the snow brings.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bexause she said mainly rain. Some wintry showers but be washed away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Will Tullamore get anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

TheTorment wrote: »
    can anyone give an indication as to the chances of Wexford coastal areas getting any snow?
    Bit of sleet falling now. Nothing much :( I'm just 15 mins walk from the sea.(south Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The wait goes on. Do any of you in areas which were allegedly primed for snow in this spell (even Siobhan on RTE weather saying east cost at risk overnight of showers) but still not getting any (ie lower level Dublin) feel almost annoyed with themselves having invested so much time in the last few days looking at this forum and out the windows/lamposts etc to no avail???

It almost feels like turning up somewhere for a date and the other person doesn't show yet you still wait on and on in the hope they are just late....even though it's clear they stood you up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hirlam here does not show much precipitation making it east or north of Kerry Cork Limerick Clare tomorrow night

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebchartshirlamopukrain.php

Nice, never knew about that site, has the hi-res UKMO model there as well

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebchartsukmoukpcp.php

Seems to show some light showers along the east coast tonight while the front makes it to the Midlands (and Waterford) tomorrow night albeit with mostly very light precip

Controls are in the bottom left for anyone who can't find them, took me ages to see them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Will Tullamore get anything?

Only some dew..(I'll get my coat)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement