Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

spits of graupel every now and again - you'd barely notice it if you weren't looking for it. Not expecting anything more than this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

jds0ur wrote: »
    I'm in Clonskeagh and not a bloody flake :(

Il be in clonskeagh in a few minutes too- Spitting snow isnt worth it to be honest- Barely even nice to look at to be honest- We need a streamer to build like in 2010. But that wont happen until winds turn more North East.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

snowjon wrote: »
    3 hours of snow now from this streamer and it's still going - about an inch of snow on the ground:

IMG_1318_zps054ff838.jpg

IMG_1308_zpsed79066b.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsf88700ed.jpg

Simply stunning. Enjoy it while you can. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ongarboy wrote: »
    The wait goes on. Do any of you feel almost annoyed with themselves having invested so much time in the last few days

Yes, now, I often sit alone watching stuff and haring off to catch wind and squall lines and potential major events and I was a little disappointed in myself for expecting a little snow from my own observations and it did not happen.

Then today's total none event was forecast as a major event, I had not seen it myself and was struggling to see where others had seen it so I was confused and second guessed myself but trusted the experts here [more than Met Eireann] and of course it did not happen today. So yes, I'm disappointed that my own views were more correct, but I accepted other interpretations, and it did not happen.

We then look for the next event, see, I'm already different in as much as I called this event over, much earlier today, a few called it over yesterday, I'm not waiting for tomorrow to try and salvage anything from what I thought were wildly optimistic forecasts, no, IMO tomorrow is a new event.

And for tomorrow for my area I don't see the big snow, most of the charts and forecasts that I've looked at shows a mild snow event quickly followed by rain, within 25 miles of me, to the west, there could be a major snow event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Boo Hiss! Nothing but pissy cold rain here the past few days, which is arguably the worst and most non exciting weather ever!
    This rollercoaster has me sick, gimme 2 snow days and a chance to get a sledge out and ill be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Who is she/he????

No snow for cork/kerry or south of north tipperary in my opinion. Too mild.

You're like that priest in fr ted who plays the same record over and over..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Nae for tomorrow night, rain to turn to snow
    http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/19/basis18/ukuk/prty/13012100_1918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Another sleety shower here but a bit more snow flakes this time

Edit : lasted 2 mins :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ah im giving up on this now the Waterford block is in force once again so I wont be seeing much as usual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Very fine snow here in Carlow.

It would need to fall for a month straight to have any sort of impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Harps wrote: »
    Nice, never knew about that site, has the hi-res UKMO model there as well

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebchartsukmoukpcp.php

Seems to show some light showers along the east coast tonight while the front makes it to the Midlands (and Waterford) tomorrow night albeit with mostly very light precip

Controls are in the bottom left for anyone who can't find them, took me ages to see them!

That is a super find. I had no idea that was available anywhere. It's the UK4 model. 4km resolution run to 36 hours, 4 times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

jo06555 wrote: »
    Ah im giving up on this now the Waterford block is in force once again so I wont be seeing much as usual ;)

UKMO projecting that the front will make it as far as Waterford tomorrow night

ukpcp36blend.png

Temperature hovering around freezing

uktemp36blend.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I can't believe it hadn't snowed in dublin just based on the sky...thick snow looking clouds last few days but no snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The spinmaster Fr Billy O'Dwyer :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

lolo62 wrote: »
    I can't believe it hadn't snowed in dublin just based on the sky...thick snow looking clouds last few days but no snow :(

Yup, at least an event on the scale of the 1947 winter was expected, but to be fair, that remark was not posted first hand on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The spinmaster Fr Billy O'Dwyer :-)

That's the lad! Ran off with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Feckin cornwall shadow. that'll make sure my house is snow free!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

ukpcp36blend.png

uktemp36blend.png

Can I ask Harps, is the first chart there precipitation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M2 buoy at 10pm, DP is -1.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

spinmaster.gif

WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    WHERES MY SNOW?
    THIS TOWN IS LOOKING LIKE A GHOST TOWN

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

M2 buoy at 10pm, DP is -1.3

That's about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike though! Nothing happening this end of the Irish Sea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

Right I'm going to stick my neck out here and after following the models all winter I've noticed that the GEM has the most accurate within the last few weeks. It seems to be handling the synoptics better than others. UKMO has been performing OK too, however it's been widely over-estimating total precip, GEM has been more accurate with that too! So on that basis, although the majority of the country will have a range of daytime temps hovering from 1 - 4/5C, with overnight dipping into minus figures at times, precip levels will be minimal, except for when a LP arrives on Monday giving parts of the SW a brief snow event. Areas that could be effected IMO incl Kerry, Clare, Galway, West Cork (maybe further East also), Tipp and parts of Limerick. Northern Eastern counties may also recieve some snow Monday and Tuesday. I think most of Leinster and the midlands will miss out except for a few passing sleet/snow showers, but nothing prolonged or accumulating unless on higher elavations. I think as we head towards the end of the week, there will be a gradual return to more seasonal temps 6-9C, but it should remain relatively dry.

ukpcp36blend.png

uktemp36blend.png
    Oh ok il sit back down and hang around so :) hope it gets upgraded even more now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

JAYSUS

gfs0186n.png

JAYSUS

gfs0186n.png
    Expand please!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

undercut of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

JAYSUS

gfs0186n.png

What would that mean in laymans terms if it came off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

What would that mean in laymans terms if it came off?

Armageddon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Smidge wrote: »
    Can I ask Harps, is the first chart there precipitation?

Yep, for 3am tomorrow night, there's no scale so not sure how heavy it is but the blue probably only equates to drizzle.

The second one is temperature at the same time with everywhere inside the broken red line below 0C so more likely to see snow though it looks very light for most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Lots of wind and rain, most of the models are showing a return to milder conditions next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement