Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

JAYSUS

gfs0186n.png

OK ppl see deep blues and purples and think it means snow... actually this setup would in fact bring milder westerlies in, and only far north of England would see any could on this track. It would be a wind event if the LP moved closer, but the isobars over Ireland are spread, so it would most likely bring a heavy rain event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Darwin wrote: »
    Lots of wind and rain, most of the models are showing a return to milder conditions next weekend.

Possibly the beginning of MT's predictions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

What would that mean in laymans terms if it came off?
    Cat 2/3 hurricane ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z HIRLAM now shows stronger precip Sunday night/Monday morning getting further east and hanging around for a bit longer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

SandraD wrote: »
    OK ppl see deep blues and purples and think it means snow... actually this setup would in fact bring milder westerlies in, and only far north of England would see any could on this track. It would be a wind event if the LP moved closer, but the isobars over Ireland are spread, so it would most likely bring a heavy rain event.
    less cold but not milder for a time, the low then tracks SE and we remain in an easterly. Let's hope that this actually happens.

Rtavn2161.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Well these charts are all out in FI (Fantasy Island) meaning unlikely to verify but if it did then it could progress onto a massive undercut. But please be aware that the GFS model overplays Lows crossing the Atlantic and these are more for fun to look at it this stage!!!!

Best to only take up 96 Hours ahead as any sort of guidance on the weather at the moment.

gfs0204a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

18Z HIRLAM now shows stronger precip Sunday night/Monday morning getting further east and hanging around for a bit longer too.

What do you think Maq? I'm still sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Just up in ticknock- Snow line is around 180m.

Nice bit up at entrance to three rock, will post pics later.

Dan :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Looks like there might be a tiny bit of action on the radar, I notice at my local weather station, its showing E/NE wind direction now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Light snow falling here now, just west of Enniscorthy, Wexford. It's staying on the garden furniture and car but not the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Looks like there might be a tiny bit of action on the radar, I notice at my local weather station, its showing E/NE wind direction now.

Yes just seen that off south Dublin/North wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

red_bairn wrote: »
    Possibly the beginning of MT's predictions. ;)

He's not the postie's brother is he, or related to the White Witch of Cobh? I know some of his posts have been out of this world recently, but I thought he used model analysis to make forecasts? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Does anyone think precip will fall as rain first into limerick and then fall as snow? Im a noob who's been fascinated by snow since a young age so opinions would be appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I wouldn't be surprised if wexford/waterford saw a snow shower or two tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

less cold but not milder for a time, the low then tracks SE and we remain in an easterly. Let's hope that this actually happens.

Rtavn2161.png

Yes this chart looks better for an Easterly, but I was commenting on the one posted, where someone was stating "armageddon" and I felt I had to comment, as it was a misleading statement, about an average looking chart! The one you posted shows that atlantic LP further NW and another LP tracking SE which would help keep an easterly flow and as you say cooler conditions! Wish ppl who posted charts understood them before posting as it can be misleading to ppl on here! I'm not referring to your good self btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Does anyone think precip will fall as rain first into limerick and then fall as snow? Im a noob who's been fascinated by snow since a young age so opinions would be appreciated :)

With current temps I wouldn't say it'd be rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Yes just seen that off south Dublin/North wicklow.

beware of anaprop

• Registered Users Posts: 4 weathernut

SandraD wrote: »

Can someone explain this chart to me... Is it a storm tracking our way or will the easterly keep it in mid Atlantic

What do you think Maq? I'm still sceptical.

I think inland areas in the soutwest should have a good chance alright. But as to amounts and how far east it gets will be a bit of a nowcast. We'll see what Met Eireann think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Cork and Kerry might deserve their own thread for tomorrow nights event, some areas could see disruptive snowfall with Monday morning rush hour a mess.

I suggest one general chat thread for will it snow imby, it's snowing imby etc etc

Keep the model thread and fantasy island threads for serious discussion only?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

kn2k10 wrote: »
    With current temps I wouldn't say it'd be rain.

sorry i meant to say for sunday into monday i know it won't snow tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

noobsnow95 wrote: »

sorry i meant to say for sunday into monday i know it won't snow tonight

I still think the percip would be wintry. Not much chance of 'rain'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think inland areas in the soutwest should have a good chance alright. But as to amounts and how far east it gets will be a bit of a nowcast. We'll see what Met Eireann think.

Are the uppers still quite low?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowdust falling for past hour, why couldnt it be like this when we had almost 40 hours of rain up till last night, now that it's finally cold enough we get snowdust!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Met Eireann update 23.11 "significant accumulations possible in places"
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

The uppers seem ok by 9pm http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/19/basis18/ukuk/t850/13012021_2_1918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Tallaght's getting nothing since this morning. :(
    Any local any luckier?

Uppers look ok on the models. I don't think inland areas will have a problem, as long as the dew points are good it will be a case of seeing what develops on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Villain wrote: »
    I think Cork and Kerry might deserve their own thread for tomorrow nights event, some areas could see disruptive snowfall with Monday morning rush hour a mess.

I suggest one general chat thread for will it snow imby, it's snowing imby etc etc

Keep the model thread and fantasy island threads for serious discussion only?

I strongly object. As the Second City and As the neighbouring county won more all Ireland somethings, we are serious and we demand attention, now that our hour be upon us.

We do have our own Cork forum, we don't need to be treated as second class weather citizens, thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Just noticed thick heavy cloud moving across the Irish Sea from Wales on the satellite image, anyone think that this could produce a few showers for the east tonight??

http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement