Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

weathernut wrote: »
    Can someone explain this chart to me... Is it a storm tracking our way or will the easterly keep it in mid Atlantic

That chart has been taken from the 18z GFS which shows an deep area of low pressure (which if you watch the run) pushing from the NE seaboard of the US, into greenland and gradually increasing in intensity and pushing SE. In order for any easterly to prevent the LP pushing further west it would require an area of intense high pressure (HP) to build to our east, causing the LP to slide south, which would then cause a stron easterly. However the GFS is not showing HP to our East on this run, so the low would continue on it's track. However, the chart that was show is way out in FI (t174hrs) and the GFS has been notorious for bring LP after LP barreling in from the west. The GFS seems to like to default to westerlies and has been having difficulties handing any easterly progrssion (from my observations) this winter. As air flows anti-clockwise around LP systems you can see where the source of either warm or cold air will be pulled from and that chart showed milder westerlies!

Hope this helps! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

gbee wrote: »
    I strongly object. As the Second City and As the neighbouring county won more all Ireland somethings, we are serious and we demand attention, now that our hour be upon us.

We do have our own Cork forum, we don't need to be treated as second class weather citizens, thank you very much.

Your picking him up incorrectly ,

I think he was saying an event thread,like there was one for Friday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

AloKildare wrote: »
    Just noticed thick heavy cloud moving across the Irish Sea from Wales on the satellite image, anyone think that this could produce a few showers for the east tonight??

http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

Nope, it's invisible on radar echo, tiny patches of snow south of it, nothing on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann update 23.11 "significant accumulations possible in places"
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

The uppers seem ok by 9pm http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/19/basis18/ukuk/t850/13012021_2_1918.gif

Its the same outlook as this morning. Thats not updated. Check the 23.55 radio forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

gbee wrote: »
    He's not the postie's brother is he, or related to the White Witch of Cobh? I know some of his posts have been out of this world recently, but I thought he used model analysis to make forecasts? No?

The Postie's long-lost brother. They both predicted the Big Freeze of Dec 2012!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think he was saying an event thread,like there was one for Friday .

Right, that could work. I already posted that tomorrow is a new even anyway, so I apologise for my outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

On and off snow dust from Saggart to Sandymount tonight. If the streamers come your way, they will fall as snow.

Just have to wait and see DP -2 IMBY (in my back yard)

The morning may have a nice surprise. But I ain't doing any lamp post watching tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

Small bit of snow falling in straffan, Kildare, very light stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Bit of an upgrade from ME:
    The coming week is going to be very cold with day time temperatures ranging from just 1 to 6 degrees on many of the days. Severe frost and ice will develop at night with temperatures dropping as low as - 6 or -7 degrees in some areas. There'll be sleet and snow at times with significant accumulations possible in places. In these very cold conditions, any snow will lie on the ground.

Sunday night will be cold with rain, sleet and snow moving northeastwards across the country giving some significant accumulations. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

There'll be further outbreaks of sleet and snow on Monday, but some dry periods too. Temperatures will range from 1 to 4 degrees in general, but will reach 5 or 6 degrees in the southwest. A severe frost and icy patches will develop on Monday night.

Tuesday will be dry in many areas, but scattered sleet and snow showers will develop in many coastal areas. Again, a severe frost will develop at night.

On Wednesday, rain sleet and snow will move eastwards across the country.
    Thursday will be brighter with some scattered wintry showers of rain, hail or sleet.
    More rain, sleet and snow will move in from the west on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Phone weather app says I have snow ! I look outside at lamp post eh no snow !!

• Advertisement

Recent Snow reported for Dublin Airport at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Must be confined to North of city centre nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some snowflakes falling in Naas now, according to lampost :D

Phone weather app says I have snow ! I look outside at lamp post eh no snow !!
    I think the app is telling you how precip will fall, there is probably enough of a echo to suggest that you should have precip. To my knowledge no app use a system that is monitored by people. Just automated updates to a recipe of factors.&amp;lt;/pI&lt;/p&gt;</p></p>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

just very light showers, nothing special

patneve2 wrote: »

just very light showers, nothing special

Yep, very light, you can see it on the radar around 10:30.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same here it's more like snow mist, if it fell all night it mite resemble a light frost by the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

There was a small flurry of snow when I drove by killerster / raheny about an hour ago. Feels colder today than yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Light rain, bits of sleet, sometimes hail in Dundalk at the moment, as shown on the radar moving in off the Irish sea.

Temp 2.8, DP 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Still not a flake in Malahide. Keep thinking I see something in the lamplight but I guess it's just my hopeful imagination :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Nothing in navan not even frosty 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

def not even frosty out in mullingar, cold yes, no snow....... sad face......

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

OMG I've been politely (due to lack of knowledge!) but avidly been following these threads at various times round the clock for well over a week now... is it ever going to snow here in Limerick?!! I think I'll be too exhausted by the time it does :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Not too far from airport & had a few flakes for about 30 seconds if that counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

budweiser6 wrote: »
    OMG I've been politely (due to lack of knowledge!) but avidly been following these threads at various times round the clock for well over a week now... is it ever going to snow here in Limerick?!! I think I'll be too exhausted by the time it does :o

I live 7000 miles away, i have snow 7 months of the year but i,m still following this thread...i must be insane:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

@12.08 Sunday Morning, Im gonna call it folks, this is a non event, no snow here, we're done for now, now get along, get outta here, be about your business, nothing to see here.......

Twas fun while it lasted though!
    Cheers everyone!

Nice of you to 'call it'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Just up in Ticknock there a few minutes ago. :)

9azenata.jpg

huhabyra.jpg

7e5ezy2e.jpg

dahy6a3e.jpg

6abujate.jpg

u6ehy8yd.jpg

u8ygeran.jpg

mupaba6e.jpg

Hopefully some streamers head towards The Dublin area overnight!

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

youngblood wrote: »
    @12.08 Sunday Morning, Im gonna call it folks, this is a non event, no snow here, we're done for now, now get along, get outta here, be about your business, nothing to see here.......

Twas fun while it lasted though!
    Cheers everyone!

Where's here? If its somewhere in coastal Kerry then yes your unlikely to see much snow for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mchughjohn

Well lads, any chance of snow in leitrim tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement