Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Speak Now

High ground event tomorrow for Munster/south Leinster i reckon. Cold Rain/Sleet at lower levels i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snow chance mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest UK4 run. From 6pm Sunday to 6am Monday. Just note that the dark blue is very light precip. You can see some streamers on the east coast and the precip moving into the southwest.

ukpcp24blend.png
    ukpcp27blend.png
    ukpcp33blend.png
    ukpcp36blend.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am not trying to belittle the Bangor Boys and Girls but I have to ask the following question of the experts with regard to that Bangor streamer.

On Rain Today (Paupers Version) that streamer looked bigger and more intense than any streamer on the map for Dublin/Wicklow in 2010. (ie. Mostly red pixels as opposed to yellow/orange with a sprinkling of red pixels here and there for the streamers we all watched so intently in 2010.

How is it that after 3 hours continuous from what looked like a super intense streamer delivered only 1 inch whereas 1.5-3 hours of Bray streamers in 2010 delivered 3-5 inches. ie 0.3 inches an hour for the Bangor Streamer versus 1.5 inches an hour for the Bray Streamers.

Is it Snow type. The dry 2010 snow doesn't compress under its own weight like wet snow??

Brays problem in 2010 was not streamer intensity. We got some of the most intense streamers of anywhere in 2010. Brays problem was we were only directly under about 3 of them the whole month long event. (Granted some parts of Bray caught the edge of the South Dublin streamers and other areas caught the Edge of Greystones streamers too and thus had higher accumulations than central Bray)

budweiser6 wrote: »
    OMG I've been politely (due to lack of knowledge!) but avidly been following these threads at various times round the clock for well over a week now... is it ever going to snow here in Limerick?!! I think I'll be too exhausted by the time it does :o
    mchughjohn wrote: »
    Well lads, any chance of snow in leitrim tomorrow.

No and No..sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mchughjohn

Is there any chance of snow at any stage over the next week in leitrim.

mchughjohn wrote: »
    Is there any chance of snow at any stage over the next week in leitrim.

Not looking like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Light snow in ardee/collon I Louth at the minn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

youngblood wrote: »
    @12.08 Sunday Morning, Im gonna call it folks, this is a non event, no snow here, we're done for now, now get along, get outta here, be about your business, nothing to see here.......

Twas fun while it lasted though!
    Cheers everyone!

I don't follow Soccer at all but I'm off to the Soccer forum to Call the results of the 2013 Premier League Season.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Right folks, thats it, i'm gonna call it...........................................

i'm gonna stay up all night watching lamp posts:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Calibos wrote: »
    I am not trying to belittle the Bangor Boys and Girls but I have to ask the following question of the experts with regard to that Bangor streamer.

On Rain Today (Paupers Version) that streamer looked bigger and more intense than any streamer on the map for Dublin/Wicklow in 2010. (ie. Mostly red pixels as opposed to yellow/orange with a sprinkling of red pixels here and there for the streamers we all watched so intently in 2010.

How is it that after 3 hours continuous from what looked like a super intense streamer delivered only 1 inch whereas 1.5-3 hours of Bray streamers in 2010 delivered 3-5 inches. ie 0.3 inches an hour for the Bangor Streamer versus 1.5 inches an hour for the Bray Streamers.

Is it Snow type. The dry 2010 snow doesn't compress under its own weight like wet snow??

Brays problem in 2010 was not streamer intensity. We got some of the most intense streamers of anywhere in 2010. Brays problem was we were only directly under about 3 of them the whole month long event. (Granted some parts of Bray caught the edge of the South Dublin streamers and other areas caught the Edge of Greystones streamers too and thus had higher accumulations than central Bray)

Don't know the answer either but would guess you're right in that its down to the temperature and snow type. 2010 had mostly dry powder snow on already frozen ground with sub zero air temps meaning nothing melted, tonight its wet snow with mostly positive temps so its constantly melting and compressing

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Latest UK4 run. From 6pm Sunday to 6am Monday. Just note that the dark blue is very light precip. You can see some streamers on the east coast and the precip moving into the southwest.

But will it be snow or rain that is the question. I think the models have done well with precip, just haven't been so good with getting the uppers and temps.

Met Eireann have changed their outlook more times than I can remember, going for a mild breakdown this morning or yesterday, now that is gone. Models still all over the shop.

At this stage it will be a now cast, we have some sort of cold but will it be cold enough??

dont expect snow spindle, im expecting the air to be well modified. Rian/sleet unless high ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not sure I recommend people to stay up all night watching lamp-posts unless they live in Louth or Down, places south of that might get snow mist but thats about it till tomorrow morning i think. Even in those areas the snow showers are fairly light and not really worth spending an entire night up to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Spindle wrote: »
    At this stage it will be a now cast, we have some sort of cold but will it be cold enough??

We have no weather now. And I can tell you we have 1.8°C precisely. Trending ↓ .3°/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

dont expect snow spindle, im expecting the air to be well modified. Rian/sleet unless high ground.
    I'm with you Jerry it will be sleet and rain but cold is here to stay so miracle if everybody doesn't see snow at some stage in the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Not sure I recommend people to stay up all night watching lamp-posts unless they live in Louth or Down, places south of that might get snow mist but thats about it till tomorrow morning i think. Even in those areas the snow showers are fairly light and not really worth spending an entire night up to watch.

i'm getting paid for it so i might as well:D:D

gbee wrote: »
    We have no weather now. And I can tell you we have 1.8°C precisely. Trending ↓ .3°/hr

Well there won't be anything tonight, now cast will be with tomorrows event.

I would be siding with rain but it is marginal, and this type of marginal setup is what used to deliver in the past. It is a nightmare to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Calibos wrote: »

I was very suprised at how little snow there was after 3 hours looking at those pics from Bangor too. It looked like a monster streamer on radar. I thought there'd be a few inches at least lying.

Here in 2010 we had two events that dumped about 8-12 inches of snow within a period of about 12 hours on and off. At the most intense snowfall of both events there were times when it was about two inches per hour falling. Anybody that witnessed it will back me up on this, it;s no exaggeration. But at the time looking at the radar it looked pretty tame.

Now in trying to answer the question I can only think of two things.

One is that in 2010 it was much colder and the snow was much "dryer" if you get me. It was proper frozen snow, no wetness at all. You couldn't even make a snowball from it. Proper dry snow like this has a lower density than wet snow. The general rule is 1mm precip = 10mm snow. But wet snow can be down around 7/1 and dry snow can be up to 15/1 or so. Well you get the point anyway.

Second thing is that it everything that fell in 2010 stuck immediately. No melting going on when the snow hit, and no melting going on underneath the snow that had already fallen. Everything that fell stayed where it fell. In Bangor there was probably melting going on.

Thirdly, although the Bangor streamer looked impressive in size, it didn't have really intense precip. in it. The 2010 streamers tended to be more narrow and localized, but where they did hit they really did hit. the radars only barely showed the intense precip. as one pixel sometimes.

Ok, three things then :p

EDIT: The raintoday radar returns looking more intense might have something to do with the proximity of the Belfast radar too. It's definitely calibrated differently than the Dublin radar and maybe the data sent is slightly different too. Four things. And by the way, I'm no expert, I was just wondering the same as you and spilled my thoughts onto the keyboard!

Spindle wrote: »

But will it be snow or rain that is the question. I think the models have done well with precip, just haven't been so good with getting the uppers and temps.

Met Eireann have changed their outlook more times than I can remember, going for a mild breakdown this morning or yesterday, now that is gone. Models still all over the shop.

Gerry did the late forecast on the radio and said starting as rain/sleet in the evening then turning to snow overnight. We'll see what kind of warning goes out in the morning after the latest models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Rougies wrote: »

I was very suprised at how little snow there was after 3 hours looking at those pics from Bangor too. It looked like a monster streamer on radar. I thought there'd be a few inches at least lying.

Here in 2010 we had two events that dumped about 8-12 inches of snow within a period of about 12 hours on and off. At the most intense snowfall of both events there were times when it was about two inches per hour falling. Anybody that witnessed it will back me up on this, it;s no exaggeration. But at the time looking at the radar it looked pretty tame.

Now in trying to answer the question I can only think of two things.

One is that in 2010 it was much colder and the snow was much "dryer" if you get me. It was proper frozen snow, no wetness at all. You couldn't even make a snowball from it. Proper dry snow like this has a lower density than wet snow. The general rule is 1mm precip = 10mm snow. But wet snow can be down around 7/1 and dry snow can be up to 15/1 or so. Well you get the point anyway.

Second thing is that it everything that fell in 2010 stuck immediately. No melting going on when the snow hit, and no melting going on underneath the snow that had already fallen. Everything that fell stayed where it fell. In Bangor there was probably melting going on.

Thirdly, although the Bangor streamer looked impressive in size, it didn't have really intense precip. in it. The 2010 streamers tended to be more narrow and localized, but where they did hit they really did hit. the radars only barely showed the intense precip. as one pixel sometimes.

Ok, three things then :p

Yes the amount of lying snow is disappointing - we saw about 5 hours of persistent graupel/snowfall in that streamer but I can confirm that the snow was constantly thawing as it settled. Even now, the grey of the Tarmac is starting to show through again so the main issue I would say is the temperature - just not cold enough for any huge amounts!

I'm not complaining though - very exciting to be under a snow streamer !!

Gerry did the late forecast on the radio and said starting as rain/sleet in the evening then turning to snow overnight. We'll see what kind of warning goes out in the morning after the latest models.

If we have a deep enough cold in place it is possible. Cork Airport was at 1c on the 00:00 report even with cloud.

I suppose it is being long in the tooth, but these Atlantic setups can surprise, and with them having cold uppers all be it with the surface air modified you never know, it might even snow in Waterford :D

In fairness Met Eireann have got everything spot on so far, so will be interesting what they do in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Light sleet/snow stuff in Malahide :D Only visible by the trusty lampposts! Nothing steady at all, little flurries.

Alicat wrote: »
    Light sleet/snow stuff in Malahide :D Only visible by the trusty lampposts! Nothing steady at all, little flurries.

Enough to build the smallest snowman in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Enough to build the smallest snowman in the world?

Not even :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Another little streamer just depositing a load of graupel here now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Faint intermitent spits of rain/sleet here with one or two flakes thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Light snow starting to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Ah, good old Met Eireann, where would we be without you. In a non existant snowdrift, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Light snow starting to stick

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement