Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

After a long absence,the brilliant Tomaz Shafanaker is on duty on the BBC weather forecasts and ahem do ya know if he's doing country file it will be a good one,he always goes into detail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

shmaupel wrote: »
    Dungiven, Co. Derry just now.
    -1 c
    Blustery snow since about 4 this evening. About 3 cm lying nicely.

Any update on Dungiven area? Might have to head up Benbradagh way a bit later today

And going on what Tomaz on bbc news 24 has just shown,the advancing front won't come too far out of Munster before sliding south east with a lot of snow in west Munster.
    Dew points are key for the now cast down there as to whether it snows in cork city but at least 3 or 4 inches (10 cms ) wouldn't surprise me in parts of Kerry,Clare,north and west Co Cork inland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

whitebriar wrote: »
    And going on what Tomaz on bbc news 24 has just shown,the advancing front won't come too far out of Munster before sliding south east with a lot of snow in west Munster.
    Dew points are key for the now cast down there as to whether it snows in cork city but at least 3 or 4 inches (10 cms ) wouldn't surprise me in parts of Kerry,Clare,north and west Co Cork inland.

I'm slightly dubious about widespread snow in Munster except for higher ground and away from the coast.

I know I'll probably be not popular, but all I can see for Cork City is sleet/wet snow as winds are forecast to be easterly, off the Celtic Sea, and I do not thinks temps/DPs will be low enough to sustain snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

whitebriar wrote: »

10 cm perhaps in high areas of kerry and cork and further inland but precious little st low levels IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Agree, air is barely cold enough now without modified Atlantic. Kerry mts should do well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Snowing in Dublin airport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sleet in Dublin airport :-

2013/01/20 07:30 EIDW 200730Z 11009KT 9999 -SHRASN SCT024 BKN040 02/M02 Q0999 NOSIG

Irish sea really getting going, going to be a sleety day in the north east coastal areas. TBH hope it stays up there, this cold spell has been a damp squib so far here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Supercell wrote: »

2013/01/20 07:30 EIDW 200730Z 11009KT 9999 -SHRASN SCT024 BKN040 02/M02 Q0999 NOSIG

Irish sea really getting going, going to be a sleety day in the north east coastal areas. TBH hope it stays up there, this cold spell has been a damp squib so far here.

Sorry I meant to post this in the ramping thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile.

Could get some precipitation in Dublin in the next hour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

sparrowcar wrote: »
    You would think with all that mney tey spent they would have put a roof on the fecking thing ;)

I wasn't impressed at the sleety crap falling in Swords so I went on snow patrol in Wicklow....Enjoy :D

01D96F6023884A1CADAB30FB84352C80-0000345144-0003134595-00800L-A65D044A1FCE44399D2855EBE1B36EF1.jpg
    5C66DF3D48144E4AAF1E10162FD6C38A-0000345144-0003134596-00800L-37ED47E2CDB7448F82646BED426AEFCE.jpg
    2A86176AE5F04A10B84BE28F78409811-0000345144-0003134594-00800L-C41B033A48AA475E965DAC45AD7046DE.jpg
    EC25CCD4973B4E77AF938FC2A6E8548E-0000345144-0003134593-00800L-1C0AB8C6B6794E10853E6EA4D063E532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

ME radar looks like a few showers may hit dublin in the next hour, mostly north Dublin, for the southside i fear they will only bring rain if they dont die out in the irish sea..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Very Nice! Where exactly is that?

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ME radar looks like a few showers may hit dublin in the next hour, mostly north Dublin, for the southside i fear they will only bring rain if they dont die out in the irish sea..

Not too hopeful from a precipitation point of view but I would imagine graupel if their light and proper snow if any heavier- DP's dropped nicely overnight. :)

Temp : 2.2C
    DP : -3C

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'd appreciate some weather information.

I'm in Galway where it's cold with a mild overnight frost covering the land, anyway I'm thinking of driving to Kildare for a spot of shopping, can anybody tell me what the road conditions are like between here and there? Are the midlands covered in snow and ice this morning?

Its isn't an essential trip and I'd prefer not to encounter dangerous driving conditions, but I'd like to go all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »

Cool, so you are disappointed dewpoints are negative and the Irish Sea is pumping some showers north of Howth.

Makes sense:p

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy mix of graupel and snow here in Lusk, actually a white covering outside! Bits of rain thrown in too though I think.

DOCARCH wrote: »

I'm slightly dubious about widespread snow in Munster except for higher ground and away from the coast.

I know I'll probably be not popular, but all I can see for Cork City is sleet/wet snow as winds are forecast to be easterly, off the Celtic Sea, and I do not thinks temps/DPs will be low enough to sustain snow.
    I wouldn't rate Cork city's chances high,but NW cork has a lot of land for that Se wind to pass through and towns like Macroom and Millstreet have a lot of high ground nearby.
    Ditto for East Kerry.I know the area well which is why I'm commenting and also using the January 2010 episode as a template.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

I'm in Galway where it's cold with a mild overnight frost covering the land, anyway I'm thinking of driving to Kildare for a spot of shopping, can anybody tell me what the road conditions are like between here and there? Are the midlands covered in snow and ice this morning?

Its isn't an essential trip and I'd prefer not to encounter dangerous driving conditions, but I'd like to go all the same.

Rubbing salt into the wounds. ;)

No snow, no even a lick of frost in Kildare. Not sure about further into the Midlands. Maybe someone else can advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare is fine, Motorway should be fine, come ahead.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

That shower (in Lusk) has now eased off in terms of intensity but switched to some nice proper snow flakes. The bit of cover thats there looks like its melting pretty much immediately, certainly not a fluffy blanket, more a mix of sleet, graupel & snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The snow keeps getting pushed out. This will be a non event for dublin. Other parts of the country might do better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Penname wrote: »
    Rubbing salt into the wounds. ;)

No snow, no even a lick of frost in Kildare. Not sure about further into the Midlands. Maybe someone else can advise.

No frost in West Laois either, in fact it was a very mild night relative to some past nights this winter. The cloud cover did not break as perhaps was expected in the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Darwin wrote: »
    No frost in West Laois either, in fact it was a very mild night relative to some past nights this winter. The cloud cover did not break as perhaps was expected in the forecast.

Yeah, very disappointing. The first night the dp fell to -1 and of course, there was no ppn. :(

I hereby flounce from snow watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

MT over on Netweather. (a few days ago)

"Wow, we are seeing some fairly significant cold even without the full synoptics in place, if my idea about February being core of the cold signal is still valid, we may be entering into a 6-7 week period of intense cold with possibly just one brief reversal before deeper cold sets in. That brief reversal seems most likely to happen near end of January. Looking at the current synoptics, strong high pressure north of eastern Siberia could be nudged westward by effects of rising heights over western North America. There has been a deep (930s to 940s) low nibbling away at the base of this Siberian-arctic high for several days now, and in my research, a stronger retrograde signal develops in February.

There is tremendous potential in the current situation for an epic cold (and therefore probably snowy as well) period lasting from this spell to first week or ten days of March. If we start to see any signs in 10-15 day output of building high pressure in northwest Russia or Finland then I would say look out for record cold to move west. Looking at the way these rather weak synoptics have maxed out for snow and cold, can you imagine if we get -10 uppers moving across the North Sea later this winter?

GFS of course seems to be lukewarm to idea of further cold this month and that could prove true, it matches my research output closer than the current ECM or GEM, but at this point for me it's all about February's potential and how that actually plays out. I am of curious now to see whether this is a case of cold coming early or just a huge signal starting to appear. If it's the latter then even 1947 could find itself with a rival, certainly 1895 and 1855 may have to move over a space."

Now have a look over west Russia on today's ECM

npsh500240.png

THEN ASK YOURSELF

other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-221.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

are ME forecasts really worth listening to / reading ? nobody here is saying shleet or snow for dublin tonight but ME are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Has anyone looked at the this morning's charts,I don't have time to look at them,any up date's much appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Lightly snowing in Swords , North Co. Dublin.

• Advertisement

Pics are from the Glendalough area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement