Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Monsoon rain occurring in Clara, co. Offaly right now and no sign of the cold it was a pleasant evening before this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its been a tough day for sure if your a snow fan in the Dublin area - its been peeing snow on the Isle of Man and most of the border couties all day which is an indication of how close we were to a major event. The boundary being the North Meath area between the proper cold and the frankly "balmy" conditions further South eg. Carlow still at 7c!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its been a tough day for sure if your a snow fan in the Dublin area - its been peeing snow on the Isle of Man and most of the border couties all day which is an indication of how close we were to a major event. The boundary being the North Meath area between the proper cold and the frankly "balmy" conditions further South eg. Carlow still at 7c!!!

Yep, 8c in Carlow when I left earlier, 6c in Laois. I wouldn't mind this neck of the woods is normally the coldest part of the country :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Weve had blizzard conditions here all afternoon..
    10-15CM snow here now and still snowing..
    Telephone line came down with the weight of snow and wind, ESB was off for an hour...

Just love this... hope it keeps up for a few days at least. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

bbam wrote: »
    Weve had blizzard conditions here all afternoon..
    10-15CM snow here now and still snowing..
    Telephone line came down with the weight of snow and wind, ESB was off for an hour...

Just love this... hope it keeps up for a few days at least. :D

Where's here?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Rougies wrote: »

Where's here?!

Going by some of the posts from earlier today, it sounds like he's in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Snow chances increase steadily for regions between current snow areas in north and a Wicklow-Clare line through Saturday as colder temperatures develop. Difficult to say who gets good accumulations other than east slopes of any higher terrain in that zone, nothing too organized about the pattern but has the look of a patchwork quilt of 1-5 cm amounts with some areas trace amounts. Mixing issues should gradually fade out except for onshore near sea level and there, rate of fall will determine type, the harder it comes down the more likely snow or at least heavy hail.

The most important detail is that 850 mb temps are going to fall steadily towards about -7 C in the zone I have described. This is colder than currently in snow areas of Ulster, so that should be a very good sign for phase change.

South of the zone outlined snow chances are restricted to higher ground mostly above 300m until we see further advance of the upper level cold through Sunday. Then it becomes a question of where oncoming Atlantic moisture hits receptive upper level parameters and that would seem to be mid-Kerry. Places like Inch, Dingle and Valentia will likely not turn over to snow, but Listowel to Cork should do so at least for part of Monday.

Posting here rather than snow thread because I'm here now and have to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

No snow in Blessington West Wicklow.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

ECM looks great 48h! ECM0-48.GIF?18-0

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Snow chances increase steadily for regions between current snow areas in north and a Wicklow-Clare line through Saturday as colder temperatures develop.

Thanks MT, you've restored my hope. Was starting to feel hard done by ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Snow chances increase steadily for regions between current snow areas in north and a Wicklow-Clare line through Saturday as colder temperatures develop. Difficult to say who gets good accumulations other than east slopes of any higher terrain in that zone, nothing too organized about the pattern but has the look of a patchwork quilt of 1-5 cm amounts with some areas trace amounts. Mixing issues should gradually fade out except for onshore near sea level and there, rate of fall will determine type, the harder it comes down the more likely snow or at least heavy hail.

The most important detail is that 850 mb temps are going to fall steadily towards about -7 C in the zone I have described. This is colder than currently in snow areas of Ulster, so that should be a very good sign for phase change.

South of the zone outlined snow chances are restricted to higher ground mostly above 300m until we see further advance of the upper level cold through Sunday. Then it becomes a question of where oncoming Atlantic moisture hits receptive upper level parameters and that would seem to be mid-Kerry. Places like Inch, Dingle and Valentia will likely not turn over to snow, but Listowel to Cork should do so at least for part of Monday.

surely-SpongeBob-bob-sponge-OP-will-deliver-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-771.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

A lot of potential out @ t120

Still heights spread over the North Atlantic leaving the door open to Low Pressure to produce some Snow, with a possibility of heights spreading into Greenland.

If we can build up enough cold over us over the next few days then that stagnant cold air wont allow anymore precip to be wasted as rain!

ecm1120r.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We need these guys.

76421.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

May be in the wrong thread here, just wondering is there still much snow lying up the wicklow/sally gaps/military road etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Cheensbo wrote: »
    May be in the wrong thread here, just wondering is there still much snow lying up the wicklow/sally gaps/military road etc??

There will be at least a foot of snow around that area in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Cheensbo wrote: »

Roads are impassable according to AA. Mate of mine lives up towards there on the Dublin side and the photos up on facebook look class, at least 1 foot of snow with more to come tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Magnetics wrote: »
    Roads are impassable according to AA. Mate of mine lives up towards there on the Dublin side and the photos up on facebook look class, at least 1 foot of snow with more to come tonight
    3.6c now which is close to normal for this time of year. I'd say a thaw has set in on the Dublin hills now.
    It doesn't matter what time of year it is but the Irish climate is absolutely demoralizing.
    3.7c now
    edit. 3.9c now. if you moved Ireland to the middle of Siberia an Atlantic warm sector would still manage to make it there.
    edit 2. I'm a bit more optimistic now, Malin Head only 1c reporting ice pellets and a gust of 52kts - thats what I call wind chill, imagine being out in that! Its on its way

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Just drove over Kilakee CarPark, its melting very quickly up there. Must have been alot of snow there earlier but there is rivers running down the roads. CAr was saying it was 2c.
    Some idiot also decided to come back down the military road and remove the sandbags and barriers on the road that stop people going up. I idnt see if he put them back but afterwards. Hopefully no one has to go up and do some rescueing there tonight.
    Lots of rain in Templeogue at the moment, hopefully its falling as snow up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm just heading up to the Slieve Bloom Mountains Laois/Offaly to work for the night :D

Wonder will the roads be ok up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

3.6c now which is close to normal for this time of year. I'd say a thaw has set in on the Dublin hills now.
    It doesn't matter what time of year it is but the Irish climate is absolutely demoralizing.
    3.7c now
    edit. 3.9c now. if you moved Ireland to the middle of Siberia an Atlantic warm sector would still manage to make it there.
    edit 2. I'm a bit more optimistic now, Malin Head only 1c reporting ice pellets and a gust of 52kts - thats what I call wind chill, imagine being out in that! Its on its way

Hey Elmer, chin up! Your post exudes frustration. The cold is due to come in over Ireland tomorrow morning. We will all then have a wee chance of snow over the coming days I think ;)

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Weathers been such a tease here all day, constantly dripping half flakes and evaporating all while the temperature stays at 0c.
    CKRBK8X.gif

Pangea wrote: »
    Weathers been such a tease here all day, constantly dripping half flakes and evaporating all while the temperature stays at 0c.
    CKRBK8X.gif

+1

I think most would agree with you Pangea. However have faith in the force my friend. This winter will deliver :D

D

Question on Twitter to Matt Hugo from an Irish poster:

@MattHugo81 Hi Matt. Any thoughts for Southern Ireland for Sun- Monday re snow? Thanks

6h Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81
    @ie_vince - Low risk of snow for Southern Ireland rain or sleet preferred, likely to be not cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

derekon wrote: »
    @ie_vince - Low risk of snow for Southern Ireland rain or sleet preferred, likely to be not cold enough.

tumblr_m1x80pgkGa1rpl3bro1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Pangea wrote: »
    CKRBK8X.gif

I needed a good laugh, brillant :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Question on Twitter to Matt Hugo from an Irish poster:

@MattHugo81 Hi Matt. Any thoughts for Southern Ireland for Sun- Monday re snow? Thanks

6h Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81

He made that comment seven hours ago, probably before the 12z. From the most recent model output it looks very likely that we should see snow away from coasts especially inland.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=54&code=0&mode=2

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=weas&HH=54&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

How sick... is this? almost every piece of land above 45deg North latitude is snow-covered.. except.. ... :mad:

237009.gif

closer....

237010.gif

Al_Bundy_Gun_To_Head.jpg

He made that comment seven hours ago, probably before the 12z. From the most recent model output it looks very likely that we should see snow away from coasts especially inland.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=54&code=0&mode=2

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=weas&HH=54&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Apologies snowstorm445, I had only posted that and then realised that Matt had made his prediction before the ECM 12z, which shows very cold air over Ireland that would produce snow.......things on the up so! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Apologies snowstorm445, I had only posted that and then realised that Matt had made his prediction before the ECM 12z, which shows very cold air over Ireland that would produce snow.......things on the up so! :D

D

No probs. Yes it does look promising although we must be prepared for a shift in the models if it happens. It looks as if it will shape up nicely although I would prefer if temps were a bit lower, as they look to be around freezing. Still if that fails Monday night into Tuesday looks like it could deliver as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

3.7c now
    edit. 3.9c now.

If its 3.9c down in Dublin it's probably about 0c at the kippure gates (520m). So a good bit of thawing below that could be going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement