Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Drove from south Dublin to Tyrone Late this evening. Was two degrees all the way to Newry with a lot of rain and gusting wind. First snow was spotted on top of the mournes while crossing the border. Few centimetres in the fields that I could see from the street lights, although the roads were grand. Then no snow until I got to Tyrone. Weird! Although Tyrone makes up for it, roughly seven or eight centimeters here and the wind is howling. Any more snow tonight should be interesting! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WinterLove

Hows Wexford looking for the white stuff ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

This is very exciting, although I don't expect much to happen here in Connemara unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I see large parts of Munster are now colder than most of the Dublin region. That mild wedge of air from today doesn't want to go anywhere fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Remember there was a thread about naming blizzards?

18th was from Redsteveireland -- sneachta stoirme

19th was friom Beasterly -- Beasterly's Easterly

well played

think the 20th is Blizzard of Oz from vicwatson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

No snow lying with me in east donegal M.T,While my sister have 3inches 20miles north of me
    Very hit and miss more wet snow falling atm not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I see large parts of Munster are now colder than most of the Dublin region. That mild wedge of air from today doesn't want to go anywhere fast!!
    Meaning if theirs rain it snows???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

well played

:D Does mine count? Forgot all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SandraD

well played

Would be nice to get a blizzard to give a name too!!! :D At this stage I'd almost name a single snow flake, just to let it know how important it was!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

well played

Was just thinking about that while watching the blizzard like conditions on BBC. SpongeBob's legacy...

Mine was Stoirm sneachta(backwards Irish MT)
    Here's the list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtUtXLdGJb5dGw3M0tXMlZCSjhGSTlyNGl6amwtcVE#gid=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jo06555 wrote: »
    Meaning if theirs rain it snows???

Yes - but sods law states that in most of this country most of the time its eithier too warm for snow, or if cold enough theres no preciptation about:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

well played

I was going to correct the last one there but it seems Spongebob gave me Vics original date. I had jokingly ribbed Vic for beating me to my Birthday of the 26th. Faux disgust. However at the end of the jokey post I congratulated Vic on a game well played as I thought his name was much catchier and cleverer than mine. Blizzard of Oz (Wizard of Oz) January 26th is Australia day, their equivelent of the 4th of July, so very appropriate that a Blizzard on the 26th would be called the Blizzard of Oz. My Super-Cali-Frigid-Listic Blizzard is a mouthful in comparison. I was unaware that SB thought I was serious about wanting a switch and had infact implemented it.

In Spongebobs absence I hereby offer to switch with Vic and give back to the Blizzard of Oz the date it deserves. I'll take the 20th instead.

This selfless offer has absolutely nothing to do with the likelyhood of a Blizzard to attach my name to, being exponentially greater on the 20th than the 26th ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i had the 17th just missed out by a day!!!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Huge big flakes falling now

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Huge big flakes falling now

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Location?

Under my name Blessington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Under my name Blessington

My god it's coming down alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Latest update from Met Eireann at 5 AM looks promising , although im a bit worried about being close to coast in Cork , it might only turn to snow as in moves inland and northly.

The coming week is going to be very cold with day time temperatures ranging from just 1 to 6 degrees on many of the days. Severe frost and ice will develop at night with temperatures dropping as low as - 6 or -7 degrees in some areas. There'll be sleet and snow at times with significant accumulations possible in places. In these very cold conditions, any snow will lie on the ground.

Sunday night will be cold with rain, sleet and snow moving northeastwards across the country giving some significant accumulations. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

There'll be further outbreaks of sleet and snow on Monday, but some dry periods too. Temperatures will range from 1 to 4 degrees in general, but will reach 5 or 6 degrees in the southwest. A severe frost and icy patches will develop on Monday night.

Tuesday will be dry in many areas, but scattered sleet and snow showers will develop in many coastal areas. Again, a severe frost will develop at night.

On Wednesday, rain sleet and snow will move eastwards across the country.
    Thursday will be brighter with some scattered wintry showers of rain, hail or sleet.
    More rain, sleet and snow will move in from the west on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

The word Rollercoaster has been used a lot and it truely is when it comes to the forecasts from Met Eireann each morning , Thurs morning was looking great ,yesterdays poor ,and super again today !
    I wont bother reading it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Snowing away here. Only confined to high ground atm. Can see green fields less than half a mile away. I'm at 870ft approx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

picture.php?albumid=2315&pictureid=14419

Took this last night, up the road from me. I'm in Slane at about 80 metres above sea level. Where this was taken is prob abother 20 metres higher.
    Still snowing outside but it's not sticking where i am.
    I must add, the set of Snowtrac tyres i got two years ago work very well! Heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

When my Tyres need replacing this year, I,m going to fit Winters for year round use. Wear rates for Winters used in the Summer are based on Californian Summers I think so only something to worry about every 20 years or so :D that combined with the fact that I do very low mileage and got 5 years out of my current tyres mean I'll still get years out of Winters used 12 months of the year.

....And I'll no longer be afraid to head up to the Wicklow mountains literally just up the road to get my snow fix every year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Wheres a good spot to take a sled in the Wicklow mountains today? Im only in Dublin for the weekend, mightn't get a chance again for some time. Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Wheres a good spot to take a sled in the Wicklow mountains today? Im only in Dublin for the weekend, mightn't get a chance again for some time. Thanks! :)

The Sugar Loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Rain turned to sleet, a few flakes trying to form, not cold enough as of yet. Maybe in a heavier burst there will be a few proper flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Light flurries of snow in Tallaght now.
    Wish we were getting out neighbour's snow up in Blessington. :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dublin North here...warm and wet. And muddy. Nice for ladies, bad for my doggy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

You'd swear we were snow covered every winter from that!!! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement