Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

304210_590301267652925_1520258182_n.jpg

my college just sent out notice. :D:D this could get interesting. snow is coming!!

and no one tell me other wise, because this has put me in a good mood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    304210_590301267652925_1520258182_n.jpg

my college just sent out notice. :D:D this could get interesting. snow is coming!!

Which college? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

National College of Ramping? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

otherfrog wrote: »
    National College of Ramping? :)

National College of scoundrels :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Which college??!!

• Advertisement

college of commerce.

college of commerce.

Lol - sure it's not a flood warning??! :pac:

leahyl wrote: »
    Lol - sure it's not a flood warning??! :pac:

:rolleyes: ha ha very funny.

:rolleyes: ha ha very funny.

I was joking!

Ye are surrounded by the rive there so have been flooded before

leahyl wrote: »
    I was joking!

SNOW-it's a serious business. no joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

SNOW-it's a serious business. no joking

It's snow joke :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It is a snow risk zone for sure with Atlantic moisture bumping into -6 C uppers and some accumulating snow would not surprise me.

But how's this for accumulating snow (my forecast for 48h snow squall accumulations in Great Lakes region, Sunday-Monday):

thank you M.T you are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I'm not going to see a single snowflake here in Dublin city centre, am I?

Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You might see a married one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Colder in south Cork last nights , temp hovering around freezing with a frost.
    Bring on to snow tonight !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rooy wrote: »
    Colder in south Cork last nights , temp hovering around freezing with a frost.
    Bring on to snow tonight !

I wouldn't hold your beath I'm afraid. Can't see snow happening in Munster except for higher ground or well away from the coast. Just not cold enough!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold your beath I'm afraid. Can't see snow happening in Munster except for higher ground or well away from the coast. Just not cold enough!

Buts it the ramping thread !
    Ya , i think it is going to be marginal , snow in the south from an Atlantic front has got to be rare , probably get some mixed stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yeah I'm thinking the same

Latest METAR for Cork airport EICK 200800Z 08008KT 9999 FEW015 BKN048 01/00 Q0996 NOSIG

Temp +1 and dp 0

M.T does seem quite certain though, fingers crossed!Need snow!

i was expecting to see white stuff on the ground, nada. where's the snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Not even a frost in athlone :-(

You're 24 hours early ! , the event is forecast for this evening /tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wasn't expected Sunbabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

It's raining here right now, just rain, not sleet or snow, just plain old rain! I live right by the sea and the temperature is +2 with heavy rain clouds rolling in from the sea. Not much sign of snow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Guys I hate asking this question cos I know how annoying it can be but what are our chances in Tipp?

I was fairly sure we'd be seeing snow tonight/tomorrow but I'm not too sure now. I opened my big mouth and told my 4 year old we'd be making snowmen together on Monday....yes I should have known better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

MT over on Netweather. (a few days ago)

"Wow, we are seeing some fairly significant cold even without the full synoptics in place, if my idea about February being core of the cold signal is still valid, we may be entering into a 6-7 week period of intense cold with possibly just one brief reversal before deeper cold sets in. That brief reversal seems most likely to happen near end of January. Looking at the current synoptics, strong high pressure north of eastern Siberia could be nudged westward by effects of rising heights over western North America. There has been a deep (930s to 940s) low nibbling away at the base of this Siberian-arctic high for several days now, and in my research, a stronger retrograde signal develops in February.

There is tremendous potential in the current situation for an epic cold (and therefore probably snowy as well) period lasting from this spell to first week or ten days of March. If we start to see any signs in 10-15 day output of building high pressure in northwest Russia or Finland then I would say look out for record cold to move west. Looking at the way these rather weak synoptics have maxed out for snow and cold, can you imagine if we get -10 uppers moving across the North Sea later this winter?

GFS of course seems to be lukewarm to idea of further cold this month and that could prove true, it matches my research output closer than the current ECM or GEM, but at this point for me it's all about February's potential and how that actually plays out. I am of curious now to see whether this is a case of cold coming early or just a huge signal starting to appear. If it's the latter then even 1947 could find itself with a rival, certainly 1895 and 1855 may have to move over a space."

Now have a look over west Russia on today's ECM

npsh500240.png

THEN ASK YOURSELF

other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-221.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Light graupel here, will take that!, much better than the sleety crapola last few days :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting taf for Dublin airport tonight :-

TAF AMD EIDW 200754Z 2007/2106 10011KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030
    TEMPO 2008/2012 3000 -SHRASN BKN008
    TEMPO 2018/2106 1200 -RASN -SN BKN004

Going for light sleet or snow from 18:00 tonight to 06:00 tomorrow, heres hoping for +TSSN instead please :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

lachin wrote: »
    Guys I hate asking this question cos I know how annoying it can be but what are our chances in Tipp?

I was fairly sure we'd be seeing snow tonight/tomorrow but I'm not too sure now. I opened my big mouth and told my 4 year old we'd be making snowmen together on Monday....yes I should have known better!

There is a chance, it depends on how far east it gets before dying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

lachin wrote: »

I made that same mistake! Worse still (though better for me), I'm going skiing for 3 days next week and my 5 year old is furious Im not bringing him to the "snowy mountains". I thought snow this weekend would get me out of my pickle and have promised we will be making snow men tomorrow. I could regret this!

Overnight the Nae and MT's forecast have downgraded for my area but I live in hope! We really need the western front to arrive wrapped in its own v cold air. Uppers and dew points are very marginal but thickness will be ok. Fingers crossed.

Prospects in South Tipp are pretty good I'd say btw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement